Greatest figure skating comebacks? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest figure skating comebacks?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I haven't had time to look this up but I think it was V and T or some russian team pairs that had a horrible short at worlds but came back to win silver and was likee .11 away from gold? Now that was amazing.

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
I haven't had time to look this up but I think it was V and T or some russian team pairs that had a horrible short at worlds but came back to win silver and was likee .11 away from gold? Now that was amazing.

Oh, they had such an amazing SP that season on Evanescense's Bring me back to life ... It was at 2012 WC when he fell on death spiral but they came back strong on LP and took silver.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Daniel Samohin had a great comeback at JW this year a la Mao-in-Sochi. 16th in the short, 2nd in the free and 6th overall.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Daniel Samohin had a great comeback at JW this year a la Mao-in-Sochi. 16th in the short, 2nd in the free and 6th overall.

This. Also his last year Junior World Championship where he won after being 9th after SP

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I wish I could add Sasha Cohen 2010 nationals. I thought she was going to nail it and go to the Oly's but she ended up fourth.
I remember being really exicited for her skating, her sp was so solid. Her lp she seemed as if she already gave up. :(

I loved Irina's comeback in 2005. Her worlds lp skate was such a great moment in skating. I was so happy for her.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I going to go with Michelle Kwan's 2003 World Championship. When she skated to "Fields Of Gold" in Salt Lake City, I truly thought that would be her farewell performance. I was truly shocked when she attend Worlds soon after. Even after skating well at that worlds and taking the silver, I thought we were going to hear that she was done. In 2003, she rose again from her Olympic Disappointment and won her final World Title.....

nguyhm

On the Ice
Mishkutenok & Dimitriev won silver in 1994 after turning pro without much success due to Natalia's weight issues and lack of motivation. Artur even declared on tv that he was thinking of changing partners. However they came back to win Olympic silver and most argued that they could have won gold. Artur did find a new partner after Natalia retired and he and Oksana won gold in 1998. He's still the only man to win 2 Olympic golds with different partners
I also think that Elena Berezhnaya's comeback was remarkable after having her head sliced by her former partner while practicing side by side spins. She went on to win Olympic silver (1998) and gold (2002)
As already mentioned Mao's LP in Sochi will always go down as one of the best programs of a life time.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd say Plushy for Vancouver - even if he did get silver ;).

Guy was out of competition for 3.5 years and managed to get almost to the top within six months! With a quad too.

I bow down. :bow:

I actually rate the Sochi comeback higher. Battered and broken, knee surgery, his back held together with screws, having been suspended for a season because of his own federation's antics, under fire from all corners because he should have "let" a spoiled headcase take his spot supposedly (when we all knew the sub should have been Voronov)...

...and he still pulled out two superb skates in the team event to lead Russia to glory, landing clean, unquestioned quads at 30 years old. It might even be one of the greatest things I've seen in sport, and I've seen a lot of great things in sport.

(The Australian coverage loved it. Their theme was very much the Return of the King. I think they replayed his FS from the team event seven times.)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking back, it seems to me that Elvis Stojko was frequently sub-par in the SP and managed to pull out a good long. The drama took years off my life until I realized it was a regular pattern. So maybe it doesn't count if you always/frequently do it.

I've since learned to be less invested in the skaters. And when I'm very invested, I sometimes look up the results before I watch the competition. It's so much nicer to like a lot of skaters, since it's unlikely they'll all underperform in the same competition.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I actually rate the Sochi comeback higher. Battered and broken, knee surgery, his back held together with screws, having been suspended for a season because of his own federation's antics, under fire from all corners because he should have "let" a spoiled headcase take his spot supposedly (when we all knew the sub should have been Voronov)...

...and he still pulled out two superb skates in the team event to lead Russia to glory, landing clean, unquestioned quads at 30 years old. It might even be one of the greatest things I've seen in sport, and I've seen a lot of great things in sport.

(The Australian coverage loved it. Their theme was very much the Return of the King. I think they replayed his FS from the team event seven times.)

They did! I remember Belinda Noonan (I think it was her) gushing about it. :biggrin: I was relieved they replayed it because I missed it live (dang time zones and it was great to see!)

I always get a thrill when the gif of Plushy jumping his quad at Sochi comes up on Tumblr, it is a thing of beauty! The ultimate competitor.

But yes, poor Sergei! Maybe, somehow he'll make the team for 2018 and finally get his Olympic dream.

pohatta

On the Ice
Sarah Meier's 2011 European title.

Elaine Zayak rising from 7th to 1st in the 1982 Worlds LP.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mai's lp at worlds, was 15th after sp, 4th in the free and 5th overall (and 2nd highest tes):luv17:

This to me was the biggest comeback of 2017 Worlds! :clap:

I wouldn't say Hanyu had a bad SP - he scored like 97 points lol. To me more of a comeback was WTT when he had a disastrous SP, but then redeemed himself to win the FS and place 3rd overall.

In terms of come from behind performances definitely Mao in Sochi. Oh, and Lu Chen's comeback to medal at the Olympics.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Gracie Gold at 2016 nationals! She had a bad short and seemed like the pressure was getting to her, then she delivered the best long program of her life! It's in my rewatch list I love it!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not a fan of his, but I'll add Evan Lysacek being 10th after an awful SP in Torino and then being very ill but coming back to skate a clean LP and finish 4th overall.

Lulu's was amazing; I was so moved.

Patrick Chan having a so-so SP at 2016 4CC but having one of his greatest LPs ever and winning by one point.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Remember when Scott Hamilton screamed "What A Comeback!" After Lu Chens program at the Olympics! That was awesome...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie Gold at 2016 nationals! She had a bad short and seemed like the pressure was getting to her, then she delivered the best long program of her life! It's in my rewatch list I love it!

Also Gracie in 2013 when she bombed her SP and was in 9th and seemed to be done for the season only to come back and put on a jumping display not seen since the days of Tonya Harding and finish 2nd and nearly win. I can still remember that huge 3lutz 3toe combo she landed to start her program. Where is that power now? Yes she's older but powerful skaters usually never lose the speed and power they always had even when they get older and it's not like Gracie is Kostner's age. Gracie's raw technical ability was staggering back then.

Last edited:

Bellaxx

Rinkside
Yulia Lipnitskaya's Elvis SP at 2016 Russian Nationals, and her Les Feuilles Mortes SP at 2016 Rostelecom Cup.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Rudy Galindo had--as far as national television & major international competition were concerned--essentially dropped off the map after splitting with Kristi Yamaguchi in pairs. To see him win gold at U.S. Nationals & medal at Worlds years later were two of those "moments." Completely unexpected & you could see mutually mind-blowing to him.

Last edited: