Greatest figure skating comebacks? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Greatest figure skating comebacks?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After a sterling junior career, Adelina Sotnikova won only 1 international event as a senior. The 2011 Golden Spin.

The sub-par run included a ninth place finish at the 2013 World Championships.

After being cast aside during the team competition in favor of a young gun, Adelina delivered two stunning performances to win the Olympic Gold Medal in ladies singles.

Quite the comeback!

Nika09

On the Ice
Mao Asada's Worlds 2014 performance and gold was the best thing for her, after Olymics disappointment.

Yuzuru Hanyu is kind of King of that "messy SP --> great LP" comebacks. But my favorite comeback from him is his 2012 Worlds debut. 7th after SP then amazing LP, fell on the middle of steps, but comeback just after that and make it to the end with no mistakes and got the bronze medal. Huge job for 17 y/o! I remember the way he celebrated it during victory ceremony, laughing and jumping all around on the way to podium :laugh:

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I am shocked that this thread is at page three and no one has brought up Nancy Kerrigan at the 1994 Olympics: Short Program, Long Program. That was probably the greatest miracle in figure skating ever for three reasons:

1) The horrible injury from the attack at 1994 Nationals. It could have been so much worse, but it was still a nasty bone bruise on her knee on her landing leg. I think she was off the ice for two weeks and not jumping for two more weeks. There was an insanely small amount of time to get ready.

2) The media/public hysteria. Tonya Harding. Enough said.

3) On top of all of that, Nancy had a history of crumbling at major events. I don't think she had a U.S. Nationals after 1990 where she didn't fall at least once. In the 1992 Olympics, Kerrigan was 2nd after the SP but her LP was a white-knuckler. Nancy won bronze because Tonya Harding (who was 4th) couldn't hold it together for four more months. Her 1992 Worlds LP was riddled with mistakes - the only reason why she won the silver was because the rest of the field fell - a lot. And let's not forget the meltdown at 1993 Worlds.

I was young and just starting to became an uber fan at the time, but I remember being shocked that Nancy actually pulled off two clean, great skates - among dealing with all of this. I remember watching the figure skating talking heads in the media hyping how great Nancy was - and I was just :scratch2:. I was convinced that Nancy would skate badly. Thankfully, Nancy has the best competition imaginable of her career.

Last edited:

mintx

On the Ice
One of this year's best is Alexa Kienim coming back from multiple surgeries to place t ten at worlds securing the US's only pairs Olympic spot. I am so happy fro them.

I love many of the comebacks from the past but this is a feel good one for this year.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Patrick Chan having a so-so SP at 2016 4CC but having one of his greatest LPs ever and winning by one point.

Oh my god, this x100000. PChiddy crushed that LP! Probably one of the greatest moments for me that involved staying awake past 3 o'clock in the morning to watch on the livestream.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And how can I forget our Canadian girls: Kaetlyn, our 2017 WSM after battling through several serious injuries, inconsistent performances, and naysayers trashing her from all ends.

And Gabby, our 2017 WBM after a season of many disappointingly close fourth place finishes on the international circuit.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Another amazing Yuzuru comeback was his 2014 GPF victory coming from injury at 2014 Cup of China and a subpar performance at 2014 NHK where many thought he should have pulled out as he still had not yet fully recovered from COC. Qualifying last for the GPF, Yuzuru then went out and smoked the competition, prompting Simon Reed to say that while many things have been said about Yuzuru, one word best describes him and that is "inspirational."

For a comeback within a program, Mao's FP at 2008 Worlds, falling horribly at her first jump, a triple axel, and then performing the rest of the program as if the fall didn't happen and winning the title.

Yuna's 2013 Worlds win after being off competition for two years.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
I going to go with Michelle Kwan's 2003 World Championship. When she skated to "Fields Of Gold" in Salt Lake City, I truly thought that would be her farewell performance. I was truly shocked when she attend Worlds soon after. Even after skating well at that worlds and taking the silver, I thought we were going to hear that she was done. In 2003, she rose again from her Olympic Disappointment and won her final World Title.....

I'm so happy you mentioned that, mrrice.

This is one of the moments I remember best about Michelle. I was so excited for her, and so much admired her determination and dedication. I believe she was beginning to fight injuries at the time.

I also think her 98 nationals was a comeback as well. First, she lost both 97 nationals and worlds to Tara (albeit the boot problems) the year before. She had been fighting injury before nationals, had been in a boot for a while, and everyone was uncertain about how she would perform. Well, she showed that heart of a champion, and gave two of the most beautiful skates by any female competitor ever. I will never forget the thrills sh gave u

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I actually rate the Sochi comeback higher. Battered and broken, knee surgery, his back held together with screws, having been suspended for a season because of his own federation's antics, under fire from all corners because he should have "let" a spoiled headcase take his spot supposedly (when we all knew the sub should have been Voronov)...

...and he still pulled out two superb skates in the team event to lead Russia to glory, landing clean, unquestioned quads at 30 years old. It might even be one of the greatest things I've seen in sport, and I've seen a lot of great things in sport.

(The Australian coverage loved it. Their theme was very much the Return of the King. I think they replayed his FS from the team event seven times.)

at 31 y.o. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
And how can I forget our Canadian girls: Kaetlyn, our 2017 WSM after battling through several serious injuries, inconsistent performances, and naysayers trashing her from all ends.

And Gabby, our 2017 WBM after a season of many disappointingly close fourth place finishes on the international circuit.

Speaking of Kaetlyn, how much do you guys know about her training in the West Edmonton Mall? I saw a clip of skaters training there and I can't imagine how distracting it must be to focus in an OPEN Mall. It's one thing if they're out there when the Mall is closed but, in the clip I saw, the mall was definitely open.....I could never...:drama:

I'll look for the clip..BRB. Here it is.. The guys hosting this video travel all over the world reviewing amusement parks, museums, and hotels. The Ice Palace and Tim Horton's are at the beginning of the video. During the 48 minute video, they also show the Amusement Park, The Water Park, and several other points of interest included in the huge mall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttzbd32pZjc

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Also Gracie in 2013 when she bombed her SP and was in 9th and seemed to be done for the season only to come back and put on a jumping display not seen since the days of Tonya Harding and finish 2nd and nearly win. I can still remember that huge 3lutz 3toe combo she landed to start her program. Where is that power now? Yes she's older but powerful skaters usually never lose the speed and power they always had even when they get older and it's not like Gracie is Kostner's age. Gracie's raw technical ability was staggering back then.

It has been speculated that she changed her technique by Frank's instruction. It could be one other thing though, when she left Alex she wasn't doing the intense off ice training that was instructed by Alex anymore. She was so muscular in 2013 and in 2014 she was still jumping high.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Sarah Hughes in SLC. Love her or hate her, going from 4th to 1st was extremely difficult under 6.0 and the result was truly shocking.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes in SLC. Love her or hate her, going from 4th to 1st was extremely difficult under 6.0 and the result was truly shocking.

I don't think Sarah qualifies because wasn't "Coming Back" from anything. In Sarah's case, her career was a study rise to reach the Pinnacle. She never really went backwards until the season after the Olympics where she placed 6th at Worlds in 2003.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was never a fan of them, but Tatiana Totmianina coming back after that horrific lift to win the Olympics was truly something. And by the same token, Dan Zhang's 4S throw fall at the Olympics followed by her landing a 2A+3T was just incredible to witness.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Speaking of Kaetlyn, how much do you guys know about her training in the West Edmonton Mall? I saw a clip of skaters training there and I can't imagine how distracting it must be to focus in an OPEN Mall. It's one thing if they're out there when the Mall is closed but, in the clip I saw, the mall was definitely open.....I could never...:drama:

I'll look for the clip..BRB. Here it is.. The guys hosting this video travel all over the world reviewing amusement parks, museums, and hotels. The Ice Palace and Tim Horton's are at the beginning of the video. During the 48 minute video, they also show the Amusement Park, The Water Park, and several other points of interest included in the huge mall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttzbd32pZjc

Mrrice, honestly I think we can thank Kaetlyn's "unconventional" training location for her superb expression, performance execution and ability to connect with the audience when she's competing, because she's doing it every single day that she's training! What a wonderful way to build confidence in her skating and to really sell what she's trying to portray out there for the audience while she's on the ice, whether that be in training or competing.

I dare say this again, as I was ragged for saying it in the past, but I think these specific qualities that Kaetlyn possesses puts her in a league of her own. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as an Ashley Wagner uber as well, but I have to say that Kaetlyn is the true queen in this aspect of skating. She is a natural born talent. :cheer:

I've also said in the past - prior to Gracie relocating to train with Marina, that I think training with Kaetlyn and team Ravi Wallia would do wonders for Gracie's PCS.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mrrice, honestly I think we can thank Kaetlyn's "unconventional" training location for her superb expression, performance execution and ability to connect with the audience when she's competing, because she's doing it every single day that she's training! What a wonderful way to build confidence in her skating and to really sell what she's trying to portray out there for the audience while she's on the ice, whether that be in training or competing.

I dare say this again, as I was ragged for saying it in the past, but I think these specific qualities that Kaetlyn possesses puts her in a league of her own. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as an Ashley Wagner uber as well, but I have to say that Kaetlyn is the true queen in this aspect of skating. She is a natural born talent. :cheer:

I've also said in the past - prior to Gracie relocating to train with Marina, that I think training with Kaetlyn and team Ravi Wallia would do wonders for Gracie's PCS.

The only thing Gracie needs for her PCS to be high is skating clean and consistent. She certainly was getting higher PCS then Osmond before this season.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi. ACL tear kept him out of the entirety of 2008-2009 and he basically had to learn how to walk again. Olympic medalist and World Champion in 2009-2010.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only thing Gracie needs for her PCS to be high is skating clean and consistent. She certainly was getting higher PCS then Osmond before this season.

Fair, though I do think that training environment could help a skater become a better performer and whether or not that's the reason, imo Kaetlyn is clearly a better performer than Gracie (not talking abt anything else). And actually, although I never thought that Gracie going to Ravi would have made a lot of sense, I do think he's the type of coach/person who could be really good for her (I think Marina seems like a good choice too). Just because I think he's really good at managing a skater's confidence and providing emotional support. I say that based on an article I read about how he helped Kaetlyn in her return from injury.

Also, the on subject of career comebacks, V/M going undefeated after skipping a couple of seasons is pretty impressive.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Look at Konstantinos menshov! He was 25th in sp at 2009 universaide won the free skate! And his medal at 2014 euros! 11th in sp and won bronze

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Just because I think he's really good at managing a skater's confidence and providing emotional support. I say that based on an article I read about how he helped Kaetlyn in her return from injury.

Agreed Snow...it was the emotional support from Ravi and Kaetlyn's parents that convinced her to return to the ice after breaking her leg in two places, in a freak ice collision with a novice skater (Kaetlyn swerved to avoid the crash, injuring herself in the process). For many, it would have been a career ending moment, as she basically had to start from scratch and re-learn all her jumps and to begin again and believe in herself. Through it all, Ravi has been her 'rock'!

Sometimes in life/sport, you meet someone and realize there is more to coaching than just coaching.

Last edited: