2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Manitou

Medalist
Girl in the photo looks like she has undergone very limited preteen development - I wouldn't say "quite developed" at all, though the grown-up dress the girl is wearing makes it look that way. Height is hard to tell since everyone in this picture is short.

Yeah, but whatever that stage of development is called, that girl on the photo looks much more developed than Yulia was in Sochi. And according to people here the photo was taken even two years before Sochi. No way Yulia looked like that way two years before Sochi.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah, but whatever that stage of development is called, that girl on the photo looks much more developed than Yulia was in Sochi. And according to people here the photo was taken even two years before Sochi. No way Yulia looked like that way two years before Sochi.

Teens can wear stuff to either A. flaunt the very little they have, or B. hide it. Yulia's Sochi costumes were very modest - plus, whatever sports bra kinda thing skaters were is going to make them look way less developed than they actually are. In contrast, the dress she's wearing in the 2012 photo is very grown up, and maybe even a little padded or something.

You can't just take how she appears in photos at face value as signs of development / lack thereof.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, so then it's (3).... :)

Or maybe it was a time warp or something.... I am completely confused and unconvinced...

Here is a photo of the 2011 GPF with all the junior and senior ladies medalist. Yulia was only junior for one season....2011-12.

If we look up the medalists on wiki we'll discover who the bronze medalist was and she was in the first pic I posted :)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Elena is keeping her short program from last season. And a new free program; oh, how I'm hoping she has a much much much better footwork section this year. Elena could be a lovely skater with nice long lines; please, new coach, please......

Still no word on whether Adelina is competing. Tomorrow is the 20th when she apparently makes her decision.

Haven't seen any sort of growth spurt from evgenia. Girl will reach 80+ for a sp next year, I'm predicting it now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Still no word on whether Adelina is competing. Tomorrow is the 20th when she apparently makes her decision.

She may or may not commit tomorrow, but I seriously doubt she will come back in the end. I think if she was a sure bet to make the Olympic team it might be different, but I imagine it's hard to push through practice sessions for a less than 50/50 shot to make the team when you have already won the biggest prize. The idea of a peak Adelina, with her improved artistry, against the field is fun to speculate about, but I don't see her getting back the jump consistency under pressure after so much time off.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Russian test skates will take place on September 9-10. This event is so significant this year that I am going to fly to Sochi for the weekend to see it live. Everyone's but Medvedeva's skate makes a lot of sense. Especially taking into account the fact that CoR is going to open GP series this year. Hence, the only qualifier for the third spot there is this test skate.

1. Medvedeva's skate is only relevant to look at her Olympic programs. Is she going to change her combo layout from opening 3F-3T, then 2A-2T-2T, then 3S-3T (-3T)? Is she going to backload everything? What is the music? What is the choreo? Pantomime again? She is in the team anyway. I just hope she won't skip test skates.

2. We all know that there are only 2 spots left. The main team besides Zhenya includes Anna, Alina, Maria, and Elena. That's 4 already. No one has "the luxury" to falter if someone else delivers. If Alina is imperfect - everyone will think that the last season was a one-time event, puberty, etc. Anna could have relaxed with solid worlds - not now. Maria was solid but not spectacular and will be easily replaced if Anna is back and Alina shines. Elena has to prove she can jump again. Very interesting and very nervous.

3. The reserve national team is Yulia, Adelina, Polina, Liza, and Alena. The moment of truth is for all of them but Leonova - she won't be in the Olympic team. But she will fight for GP spots. Everybody else in this group is either Olympic or former World champion or the most promising junior in the world unbeaten untill the injury in 15-16 season. If something dramatic happens with any of them over the summer so that they shine in Sochi and if the girls from the first group do not deliver reserve girls can still make a statement.

What a line-up! Hope, everyone is healthy and will be there for the super show. What is interesting as well is that all of the top 10 Russian senior ladies have different names. We have extra capacity for Sima, Alisa, Stasya, Nastya, Alexandra (may be forgot someone).

Sam L

Medalist
All in for Alina. The backloading, the interesting minor details like the charlottes and split jumps and the "Red Ballerina". IMO, she is already building signature things about her programs. That's star quality for me. It's the little details that count.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
All in for Alina. The backloading, the interesting minor details like the charlottes and split jumps and the "Red Ballerina". IMO, she is already building signature things about her programs. That's star quality for me. It's the little details that count.

I thought that all the "Red Ballerina " did for Alina was showcase how much of a ballerina she is not. No long held lines. No hitting the beats of the music on her moves that weren't jumps. But no one cared. The judges wanted jumps and she gave them that. So that is why I think she'll rule next season. She'll have no reason to work on artistry😕
Maybe she'll improve a little. I hope so. Polina turskaya did a bit. Alina is adorable and has potential to show charisma.

tars

Record Breaker
I prefer Alina over Zhenya. Alina's jumps look effortless and graceful, while Zhenya's - muscled and clumsy.

Sam L

Medalist
I thought that all the "Red Ballerina " did for Alina was showcase how much of a ballerina she is not. No long held lines. No hitting the beats of the music on her moves that weren't jumps. But no one cared. The judges wanted jumps and she gave them that. So that is why I think she'll rule next season. She'll have no reason to work on artistry😕
Maybe she'll improve a little. I hope so. Polina turskaya did a bit. Alina is adorable and has potential to show charisma.

She does have artistry. Like I said there are many little details that are unique to her programs. She's a natural and talented jumper but that is not all she is. Also, no she's no ballerina in the classical sense but she is a figure skater, not a ballerina. How are you going to have long held lines in these short programs packed with difficult elements. I associate the music of Don Quixote with strong male ballet dancers. Those men who jump effortlessly and give the appearance of hanging in the air. So in that sense, it was the perfect program to showcase her athleticism and strength. She sold us the idea of a red ballerina, she's not a ballerina, we all know that. And in that sense, it works perfectly.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I doubt any current top ladies can do a better ballerina than her, if you think how difficult it is to incorporate real ballet postures and positions to a figure skating program. Many skaters used classical ballet music for their programs, but how many used ballet positions?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't remember the thread we talked about the weight of Evgenia and the other Russian girls. A documentary about Russian rhythmic gymnastics girls ..English subtiles! Very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgj5sUH3ULM Winner Takes it All: Pain and Gain of Russian Rhythmic Gymnasts

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't remember the thread we talked about the weight of Evgenia and the other Russian girls. A documentary about Russian rhythmic gymnastics girls ..English subtiles! Very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgj5sUH3ULM Winner Takes it All: Pain and Gain of Russian Rhythmic Gymnasts

yup, in general how weight works and why some stuff people say is not body shaming, but well, just sad life