Championnats québécois d'été 2017 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Championnats québécois d'été 2017

TGee

Record Breaker
Yes.. Dylan and Lubov have a good twist IIRC but maybe that's because of her Russian training. If I was a pair coach I would ask Nina Mozer to teach my teams the twist. T/M's twist is so beautiful. Partially because they are tall so it just looks better.

It isn't something that Mozer could teach in a week or two....

I recall that at the beginning, Luba and Dylan had most difficulty coming together on the twists due to the degree of difference in the techniques they'd learned...They had a double rather than a triple for quite a while during the first season.

They said that the techniques were very different and they had to come up with a compromise that works for them. I also recall Tracy Wilson saying that during their first season Luba and Dylan and their TCC coaching team had to take the twist apart between each major competition and reconstruct it.

So, it sounds as though Luba, Dylan and Lee Barkell have learned a lot from each other about the different way a twist can be done and how to evolve technique. And Lee's experience with this has the potential to become a great resource to safely evolve the technique of Canadian teams.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It isn't something that Mozer could teach in a week or two....

I recall that at the beginning, Luba and Dylan had most difficulty coming together on the twists due to the degree of difference in the techniques they'd learned...They had a double rather than a triple for quite a while during the first season.

They said that the techniques were very different and they had to come up with a compromise that works for them. I also recall Tracy Wilson saying that during their first season Luba and Dylan and their TCC coaching team had to take the twist apart between each major competition and reconstruct it.

So, it sounds as though Luba, Dylan and Lee Barkell have learned a lot from each other about the different way a twist can be done and how to evolve technique. And Lee's experience with this has the potential to become a great resource to safely evolve the technique of Canadian teams.

We always talk about twizzle boot camp with Alex Shib. I think twist boot camp might be needed.

But you are correct. It can't be taught in a week or two. I just think Mozer seems to have gotten her teams to do the twist with height and speed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are asking for a lot for me to remember their twist. :-D
S/M have the best twist for height but they almost never get a level 4. D/R almost never get a level 4. I'd have to look to see who most constantly gets a 4 these days. I'm pretty sure T/M do most of the time.

I'm watching Australians on Eurosport do the commentary for CBC. Which is a little weird. I was in and out and I don't know where Warner tapped out. He didn't do great at the discus. Only ninth. I think he's a decent javeliner and 1500 meter runner. I think Farah is running tomorrow. I love Farah! Go Mo! Ack. It's tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to watch.

He cleared 4.7O meters and is in 5th. I don't think he can get to a medal but still with the virus half the Canadian team got he's doing well. It's a shame though. I'm sure without Ashton Eaton he was hoping to contend for gold.

yup... S/M have a high twist... but she doesn't do the split and they don't get level 4...

I think right now the top S/H and T/M have the best twists.

Re Damian... pole vault 4.70 which is normal for him... very weak event for him but that's normal... you can see that discus and shotput have killed him... and that's not surprising if he indeed had the virus as he would have lost strength on that thing... i hear it's a nasty one to have.... He is close from 3rd place... and you are right.. he is good at javelin and a great runner. Let's hope he medals... i love damian :) If i were on a track forum I'd be damian4ever LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so i stayed home because i had to teach... and duh... students have not showed up... i could have seen this event live... tomorrow... forget it... too early... but damn... i am mad....

- - - Updated - - -

We always talk about twizzle boot camp with Alex Shib. I think twist boot camp might be needed.

But you are correct. It can't be taught in a week or two. I just think Mozer seems to have gotten her teams to do the twist with height and speed.

i wonder if poje has gone to the twizzle boot camp over the summer ;)

TGee

Record Breaker

Another Canadian 3 twist worth looking at is the Boys-Eddy sibs....They'v had amazing twists since she was around 7 or 8 years old. She's just junior age eligible internationally this season, and they've got a ways to go to be where they should be on jumps [both SBS and throws], but the 3Tw3 and their group 5 lifts are at or beyond the level of many seniors internationally.

Here's their 3Tw3 in their FS at nationals last January. [They took bronze.]

https://youtu.be/I23tQ71KM9c?t=52

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Uhm really, did we not just see D/R finish their SP with a 3 twizzle ....:eeking:

David "STOP with putting spins at the end of pairs programs" Pelletier must be cheering...

---------

Score 76.38 if I caught it right. Overall, it had the air of a team thinking really hard through a complex new program that isn't locked in body memory yet. But it has so much to offer that I'm really excited to see where it will be once it gets to the 'just flowing' point....

i know i was just waking up but I didn't even notice the spin LOL

one thing that pisses me off : with only one spin alternating every year : it should always be the SBS spin in the short program. It's break or make. Pair spins are just meh to me...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
yup... S/M have a high twist... but she doesn't do the split and they don't get level 4...

I think right now the top S/H and T/M have the best twists.

Re Damian... pole vault 4.70 which is normal for him... very weak event for him but that's normal... you can see that discus and shotput have killed him... and that's not surprising if he indeed had the virus as he would have lost strength on that thing... i hear it's a nasty one to have.... He is close from 3rd place... and you are right.. he is good at javelin and a great runner. Let's hope he medals... i love damian :) If i were on a track forum I'd be damian4ever LOL

hehe.. We are part of the Warner fan club then.

I still can't figure out the S/M twist thing. She soars. You would think she could do the split and at least get a 3 but sometimes they only get a 2. Twists are a bit of an enigma.

TGEE: That is an excellent twist for juniors. Looks like we may have another good pair in the works there.

TMC

Record Breaker
i know i was just waking up but I didn't even notice the spin LOL

one thing that pisses me off : with only one spin alternating every year : it should always be the SBS spin in the short program. It's break or make. Pair spins are just meh to me...

I completely agree! The pair spins of even the best of the best are invariably meh (Sui/Han have one cool position, but it's just part of the spin) and they never get the "wow"-reaction that a well-executed SBS spin can receive. Like Savchenko/Massot's LP SBS spins at Worlds - when they nailed them, the audience just roared. You get polite applause at most with pair spins.

QuadThrow

Medalist

I still can't figure out the S/M twist thing. She soars. You would think she could do the split and at least get a 3 but sometimes they only get a 2. Twists are a bit of an enigma.

TGEE: That is an excellent twist for juniors. Looks like we may have another good pair in the works there.

S/M got level 4 at worlds SP. This was the first time they ever really went for level 4. They added the difficult entry. I think they will get level4 consistently in the SP this season and go for the quad in the FP.

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside

The shame is that she and he cannot jump... Difficult doubles... I wish them power booster jumping juice!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Another Canadian 3 twist worth looking at is the Boys-Eddy sibs....They'v had amazing twists since she was around 7 or 8 years old. She's just junior age eligible internationally this season, and they've got a ways to go to be where they should be on jumps [both SBS and throws], but the 3Tw3 and their group 5 lifts are at or beyond the level of many seniors internationally.

Here's their 3Tw3 in their FS at nationals last January. [They took bronze.]

https://youtu.be/I23tQ71KM9c?t=52

Despite all this Skate Canada does not give a flying fig about them. Forget about a JGP assignment they're not even on the NextGen Team. They'll have to stop competing if it goes on like this.

TGee

Record Breaker
Despite all this Skate Canada does not give a flying fig about them. Forget about a JGP assignment they're not even on the NextGen Team. They'll have to stop competing if it goes on like this.

Uhm, I'm not sure that it is a matter of Skate Canada not caring about them.

Instead, my take is that Skate Canada is being tough on the requirements for the JPG, and NextGen funding to ensure that skaters have a reasonable floor on their weaker elements before going international. They are sending signals to coaches and skaters, and the Boys-Eddy sibs are going to need to make some decisions if they want to advance.

The problem is that their development has been very asymmetric from the beginning, being a level or more ahead in twists and lifts and a level behind in jumps. I understand that programs need to be designed to maximize skaters strengths and minimize weaknesses, but they don't seem to be closing the gaps over the years.

Really, they have to have at minimum SBS 2As that work consistently, and they don't. They also need at least a 2A throw. And the lack of these is what is keeping them from meeting the criteria. In this case, we are talking about meeting Junior short program requirements to move up.

So, perhaps the Boys-Eddys need to take a look at their coaching. Perhaps they need to move to another coach or coaching team in Toronto that can shake things up a bit or work on their jump technique. I think that Olivia is competing at a lower level as a singles skater, so it sounds as though she is working on her jumps, but this strategy may not be getting them where they need to be fast enough given Mackenzie's age....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am with TGee here... they need to get their jumps and throws to a proper level... come on... we complain when seniors team don't succeed their triple jumps... it would be wrong to encourage a young team to international events without the proper tools... they are pretty maxed out on lifts and the twist... time to improve the rest....

and in that sense, kudos to Maxime and Sydney and Ruest and Wolfe for learning the triple twist for this year... it's still rough but it's great that new teams pick up the pair elements they need to be competitive.

Matte and Ferland need to pick up a triple twist soon.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This sets up an interesting problem though. NextGen skaters get more support for training. Which is what Olivia and Mackenzie need.

There needs to be a subset of the NextGen program that focuses on improving skills without the pressure to go out internationally. Like a B team, or something. And once the skills are improved they can move up to the A team and compete internationally. Because otherwise you'll have skaters shut out from both extra help and international events. And that's just discouraging.

Scout

Final Flight
U

Really, they have to have at minimum SBS 2As that work consistently, and they don't. They also need at least a 2A throw. A

At Canadians last year, they did throw 3S. Couldn't control the landing, so negative GOE, but fully rotated and got credit for it. That was like 7 months ago.

TGee

Record Breaker
At Canadians last year, they did throw 3S. Couldn't control the landing, so negative GOE, but fully rotated and got credit for it. That was like 7 months ago.

The 3STh was back in their FS at Minto Summer Skate as well....they got a slightly positive GOE of .23 [more 0s than 1s from the judges] so that looks like it is coming and may get them to enough elements in the second part of the criteria

...but it still leaves the 2A as the 'must have' that is missing. SBS 2Los and 2Lzs are not high enough....

That said, I agree with Mango that there should be a way for them to get out to some international events, if not to the JPG.

They are so far ahead on some of the most difficult pairs elements that we've seen that some senior teams never truly reach the technical heights of. In many ways, Olivia seems to have a lot of Luba's strengths and weaknesses despite coming up in very different system. She flies in the twist and has great flexibility. She's such a potential pairs girl star for the long haul, that her development really needs to be maximized. And anyone who has watched their blog will recognize that their sibling relationship has been crucial to to that potential from the start.

-AIC is one option....SC has given berths to not quite JPG ready skaters for that and let them pay their own way in previous years. And Skate Ontario perhaps should be the funder to get them to an international that is not on the JPG circuit.

In any event, the lags in their jumps is longstanding, and it sounds as though the time is now to deal with it. Otherwise, MacKenzie will age out of juniors before Olivia has the triples needed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am slowly watching the ladies... but i have to say i am mostly watching IAAF...

so i may or may not comment on some of these skaters ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alaine

her 3lz-3t looked pretty much the best I have seen it in a while.

her 3 loop : not sure why she just doesn't do a salchow... she had to hang on to it... and i am not sure it's fully around.

nice 2 axel.

Nice program... 68.77

oh noooo... Veronik withdrew... I was looking forward to seeing her... last group on the ice for warmup now and that's it from me... going to a BBQ.
Ciao

Scout

Final Flight
She just skated. A couple withdrawals, i guess.

3Lz-3T -nice
3Lp -landed but should have neg GOE
2A - fine

score: 68.77. Into first, with Alicia Pineault in 2nd with 46.99

Too late! I'm always so slow with these!