Russian test skates 2017-2018 | Page 43 | Golden Skate

Russian test skates 2017-2018

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Zagitova is a dark horse as well as a serious threat to Medvedeva this season. She has no pressure to skate on the Olympic ice, so her chances of delivering both programs successfully are much larger. You will see what I meant if you once watched her performances at the Junior Championships/Nationals last season. In terms of music choice & program choreography, Medvedeva's LP is really poor for the Olympic season, so anything can happen.

Honestly, it's way too early to tell. But hey, lombardia trophy begins soon and we'll see..... what day is the ladies sp??

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Who knows? But Zagitova was certainly rock material last season. Her first event, the JGPF, Nationals, and Junior Worlds. Solid, solid, solid.
not really.

close skates Novogorsk
JGP Ljubljana Cup 2016
3rd stage of Russian Cup
4th stage of Russian Cup
2017 Winter European Youth Olympic Festival

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
But Maria's programs in her junior years were more exciting. I'd rather watch anyone of her Breakfast at Tiffany, R & J or Pino programs than her senior programs:(

I remember reading one of her interviews she told that she wanted to try something new maybe more upbeat this season, but coaching team adviced to stay in the comfort zone and don't change the style for olympic season.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
But Maria's programs in her junior years were more exciting. I'd rather watch anyone of her Breakfast at Tiffany, R & J or Pino programs than her senior programs:(

I agree with you. She had a sparkle in her programs back then. Now she's a 'lyrical boring skater' for lots of people. But there are also many fans of her that adores her development as a senior too. I believe she will find her own way after this olympic season. Maybe she should ask her team to get choreogeaphy from Nadia Kanaeva again.

Nika09

On the Ice
Tbh i like Alina's SP from last season more than new one. Good luck in her senior debut anyway.
And there is gonna be another beautiful swan in Russian Ladies team - Anna P.

It's sad that Mikhail placed third, but hopefully he has successful season ahead.
By the way how many spots Russian Men's have? I like either Aliyev and Kolyada, want to see them both at Olympics

Zagitova is a dark horse as well as a serious threat to Medvedeva this season. She has no pressure to skate on the Olympic ice, so her chances of delivering both programs successfully are much larger. You will see what I meant if you once watched her performances at the Junior Championships/Nationals last season. In terms of music choice & program choreography, Medvedeva's LP is really poor for the Olympic season, so anything can happen.

Come on, who cares about music choices and choreography nowadays? It's enough just to take a look at PCS scores last season. And this season nothing will change.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Tbh i like Alina's SP from last season more than new one. Good luck in her senior debut anyway.

It's sad that Mikhail placed third, but hopefully he has successful season ahead.
By the way how many spots Russian Men's have? I like either Aliyev and Kolyada, want to see them both at Olympics

Come on, who cares about music choices and choreography nowadays? It's enough just to take a look at PCS scores last season. And this season nothing will change.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if your programs are bad, unoriginal, offensive, or whatever. All that matters is the way the judges score you. PCS has been rising and rising year after year and it's constantly being manipulated ( getting 8s when u deserve 5s; getting 6s when u deserve 9s). Be consistent and be a judge favorite. That, unfortunately, is how to win.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Just 2 :sad21:

Also about Anna's Swan it will be Morozov's choreo which is either hit or big miss. I liked her last season's LP but her Scheherezade wasn't impressive

jkun

Final Flight
Back after a hiatus and am I going crazy or does Zagitova backload all 7 jumping passes and Evgenia is backloading 6?

I hate both of their long programs so much. What an abuse of the system.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Very true. It's all about the points. The judges have the ability to mark down programs designed to milk points (ie, backloaded), but will they? They will probably see it as unfair to do it now when they didn't before. I expect (hope?) the ISU will correct this situation after the upcoming Olympic season.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Back after a hiatus and am I going crazy or does Zagitova backload all 7 jumping passes and Evgenia is backloading 6?

I hate both of their long programs so much. What an abuse of the system.

Well, that's just doing it correctly. If the skater is able to, they should backload all 7 jumps.

Just out of curiosity, would you prefer it if all 7 jumps were done right away instead? That's what would happen if backloading gave no bonus. Right now, we only have a select few backloading if they are able to, and quite a bit of variance in the amount of backloaded jumps. With that system, every single skater of every single skill level would optimally perform all 7 jumps right away.

Certainly, there could be some more strict limitations like "Need to perform at least 3 jumps before step sequence" but the optimal layout would still get used every single time(By even more skaters) and that'd kind of do away with the "free" part of "free skate".

The current system brings quite a bit of variety in my opinion and I don't really see why it's a problem if all 7 jumps are backloaded. That way you get all the jumps concentrated on a short stretch of the program and can fully enjoy the presentation and the artistic elements of the rest of it. It also just is impressive to even be able to do such a thing - There's a reason most don't and it's not that of artistry.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Haven't bothered to watch most the test skates because I hate low-quality videos, but I checked out Tarasova & Morozov's free skate because of the reviews and... oh em effing gee.

This program was not unlike a fever dream I once had while I traversed the midwest on a vision quest that somehow ended up turning into psychedelic sex vacation. :dbana:

I cannot with this program. And the random part that went to Xtina's "Nasty Naughty Boy" was WRONG. Mess. :palmf:

I read that Pytor Tchernyshev is responsible for this? Carrier pigeon note to TAT: fire him immediately. How can this be the same guy that choreographed Manfred Symphony for Kavaguti & Smirnov? Good lord, he makes Averbukh seem like a good choreographer.

What's the solution though? Their short is classical and also doesn't fit them... their programs last year didn't either. I don't even remember what they did the season before either so I'm gonna say the programs also sucked. They're too good to be in this conundrum where they can't find a choreographer who knows what to do with them.

Where the hell is Moskvina??! :drama:

/endrant

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, that's just doing it correctly. If the skater is able to, they should backload all 7 jumps.

Just out of curiosity, would you prefer it if all 7 jumps were done right away instead? That's what would happen if backloading gave no bonus. Right now, we only have a select few backloading if they are able to, and quite a bit of variance in the amount of backloaded jumps. With that system, every single skater of every single skill level would optimally perform all 7 jumps right away.

Certainly, there could be some more strict limitations like "Need to perform at least 3 jumps before step sequence" but the optimal layout would still get used every single time(By even more skaters) and that'd kind of do away with the "free" part of "free skate".

The current system brings quite a bit of variety in my opinion and I don't really see why it's a problem if all 7 jumps are backloaded. That way you get all the jumps concentrated on a short stretch of the program and can fully enjoy the presentation and the artistic elements of the rest of it. It also just is impressive to even be able to do such a thing - There's a reason most don't and it's not that of artistry.

LOL at the idea that just skating around for two minutes is "artistic." If increased difficulty is the goal, I think they should allow backflips.
Not many skaters can do those, either. And skaters won't always use the "optimal" layout, if it costs them PCS, which it should if all 7 jumping passes are crammed into the second half of the program for no reason other than to milk points. A 6 for composition would seem generous to me for programs like that. Will any brave judge admit that extreme backloading is poor composition? Sadly, I doubt it.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Haven't bothered to watch most the test skates because I hate low-quality videos, but I checked out Tarasova & Morozov's free skate because of the reviews and... oh em effing gee.
I read that Pytor Tchernyshev is responsible for this? Carrier pigeon note to TAT: fire him immediately. t

What has TAT to do with Tarasova/Morozov's choreo?

Kittosuni

Medalist

This program was not unlike a fever dream I once had while I traversed the midwest on a vision quest that somehow ended up turning into psychedelic sex vacation. :dbana:

I cannot with this program. And the random part that went to Xtina's "Nasty Naughty Boy" was WRONG. Mess. :palmf:

I read that Pytor Tchernyshev is responsible for this? Carrier pigeon note to TAT: fire him immediately. How can this be the same guy that choreographed Manfred Symphony for Kavaguti & Smirnov? Good lord, he makes Averbukh seem like a good choreographer.

What's the solution though? Their short is classical and also doesn't fit them... their programs last year didn't either. I don't even remember what they did the season before either so I'm gonna say the programs also sucked. They're too good to be in this conundrum where they can't find a choreographer who knows what to do with them.

/endrant

if you watch Zabijako/ Enbert their FD was pretty good but I have to agree with you T/M FD is just weird.

I really think their SD from last year was pretty OK so I think they can go back with that but with the FD, their program from last was also bad so Im not sure with that. Also they didnt hit thir elements so that could also dampen the impression.

Maybe they can barrow the FD program of S/K that was choreographed by Marie-France?

Looks like all the top pair skaters ( Canadian/ Chinese) are all doing lyricals so definitely they will stand out. LOL

LRK

Record Breaker

/endrant

She's got Efimova/Korovin & Boikova/Kozlovskii in her group. I thought the Nutcracker Tchernyshev did for B/K was good (I posted a link upthread).

Anyway, agree that T/M's LP is... horrid. And I'm not even talking about the choreo - for that may be early days, has not gelled yet &c, &c, &c - but the music choices/cuts I think are terrible. And who would think of putting a pretty girl like Evgenia in... that?! The LP dress last season may not have been... er... optimal, but at least the colours were all right. Who dreamed up this thing?!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

After looking at the results of that Chinese competition (6 falls from Boyang!) I don't think it's really fair. Show me one man who is in peak form this early in the season.

I couldn't get through the SP of Petrov or either of Samarin's programs...does Mishin hate Petrov or what? Lazukin's SP would be ok if he had any speed, which he doesn't. His LP was not bad although it naturally pales next to Dima's Masquerade Waltz. The other guys obviously need some mileage and stamina, but I don't know what TAT expects. Didn't they all have to perform the programs in the closed test skate first? Of course they would be exhausted. From what I saw of the other disciplines, nobody else was perfect. Not Evgenia, not T/M, etc. Dima especially has 2 great programs which should please the judges.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
if you watch Zabijako/ Enbert their FD was pretty good but I have to agree with you T/M FD is just weird.

I really think their SD from last year was pretty OK so I think they can go back with that but with the FD, their program from last was also bad so Im not sure with that. Also they didnt hit thir elements so that could also dampen the impression.

Maybe they can barrow the FD program of S/K that was choreographed by Marie-France?

Looks like all the top pair skaters ( Canadian/ Chinese) are all doing lyricals so definitely they will stand out. LOL
I really mean no offence, but why do you keep saying "SD" and "FD" when talking about pairs and singles skaters? "SD" means "short dance", and "FD" means "free dance". The word "dance" and those abbreviations are used only in relation to ice dancers programs. It's 'SP' (short program) and 'LP' (long program) or 'FS' (free skate) for singles and pairs skaters.