2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Korea already has one spot reserved as Olympics hosts :)

This is NOT about the men. It's about the team. The team rules seem to be oh-not-so-transparent, but last I heard, Korea must qualify independently in three disciplines in order to compete a team. And that means they need to qualify a dance team and a man. Because the chances of qualifying a pair are slim to none.

Really, Korea has the athletes to be a top ten team in the World. I would like to see them compete in this event.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Korea already has one spot reserved as Olympics hosts :)

If Jun Kwan did well in GP, it is very likely the spot will go to Jun Kwan. So LEE better fight for himself.

This is NOT about the men. It's about the team. The team rules seem to be oh-not-so-transparent, but last I heard, Korea must qualify independently in three disciplines in order to compete a team. And that means they need to qualify a dance team and a man. Because the chances of qualifying a pair are slim to none.

Really, Korea has the athletes to be a top ten team in the World. I would like to see them compete in this event.

Oh... true, there is a team event. I do believe LEE will go all out to flight for his spot, but I have no knowledge about ice dance and pair team from Koran.

s_parks

Record Breaker
The rules on host spots are giving me a headache... what's the likelihood that there will be spots left after nebelhorn? So confused.

breadstal

Record Breaker

Ugh, these rules are messing me up, you're right :drama:

vavavoom

Rinkside

Yes. Korea needs to qualify in three disciplines to make the Team event. That is why, there is a lot of pressure on Lee. I think it is almost a given Min/Gamelin will qualify, but I am not sure about Lee. In my predictions, I actually predicted him to qualify as the 6th likeliest skater... he could end up 4th.. but 11th just as well depending on the day.

If only Min/Gamelin qualify, the Korean federation will still be able to enter a 21st entrant in Pairs and a 31st entrant in men, along with 2 ladies... but the team event would still be without the Korean participation.

Fingers crossed!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh... true, there is a team event. I do believe LEE will go all out to flight for his spot, but I have no knowledge about ice dance and pair team from Koran.

The dancers are in a good position heading into Nebelhorn. There are likely six spots available in dance, and Min & Gamelin are ranked pretty high among those countries still competing for a spot.

They are one of only two teams at Nebelhorn to place high enough to qualify for the FD at last year's Worlds.
The British team is back from injury & very likely to win the dance event by a mile.
But that leaves a bunch of teams fighting for the next five spots. M&G have as good a chance as everyone. The German team also made the Worlds final. They've been injured, but are skating at home. Germany seems likely to make it.
The Japanese team underperformed quite a bit last year, but has the goods to compete with both the Koreans & the Germans--having defeated both in the past & scored very well at the U.S. Classic two weeks ago.
Min & Gamelin did well at Nepela last weekend. They defeated the Czechs and earned good levels.
M&G have to compete in Europe against a lot of European dancers so Nebelhorn is not the easiest place to compete. But they have the credentials and the track record. They have a good shot.

There are very few pairs spots available. Even one of the favorites for a spot (Australia, Austria, North Korea, Czech Republic) is not going to make it.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I hope that the skaters assigned to Nebelhorn can do their best and qualify for the Olympic spots! Go Korea! :yay: :cheer2: :cheer:

Along with this discussion about the remaining spots, why don't we talk about the ladies' two spots too? This discipline doesn't need to worry about Nebelhorn because Dabin earned 2 spots at Worlds earlier this year, so who do you think will take those spots?

I think Dabin is very likely to take one of them. Last season, she placed top 5 at 4CC, won the Asian Winter Games, and placed top 10 at Worlds. So far this season, she won the Nebelhorn qualification event in Korea and placed 4th at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (with easier technical content for both). She has proved that she's a reliable skater.

Now for the others...Nahyun and Soyoun are the more well-known skaters in the current field, but they both dealed with injuries last season and are struggling to get back this season. So I think that the two who reached the podium with Dabin at the Nebelhorn qualification event (Hanul and Sohyun) have brighter chances at the moment. But they have no events until Nationals, while the other three have GPs to prepare for. Also, there is still another qualification event left in Korea before Nationals too (when is that again?).

What do you guys think?

Kara

Final Flight
As for Min/Gamelin, I really liked their short! Min's costume is fab and it looks like they're set for grabbing that Olympics spot.:agree: Home crowd will lose their minds at Arirang and their FS costumes, but I wish they chose a different version of Arirang.:palmf: I love So Hyang, but I'm not fond of her version. At its heart, it's a folk song that everyone in Korea knows the lyrics to so a version more easy to follow and hum/sing along with would have been better in my opinion.

just watched Dobin's new FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAU1CYEzX90
I have to say, never been so intrigued by Dobin's program.
Absolutely a much better program than her previous one.
Sometime, I just wish Korea can send their talented, especially artistically promising skaters(I am looking as you Squirtle) to David Wilson, He WILL do his magic!
Not just, oh it is OG season, we need some good stuff, let us ask before it is too late.
Another reason is that, David Wilson may be able to explore some of the skaters' inner potential and artistic range, without the skater themselves even aware of it,

Ugh I WISH I could see Eunsoo with a Wilson program. He would be able to help her get more comfortable with programs that aren't sassy. I really want a Shae-lynn program for Eunsoo though so I admit I'm jealous of Young.:laugh: I like Dabin's new program so much more than Maria, though I'm biased because I really don't like West Side Story. Her skating has gotten a lot smoother and her hand movements have gotten a lot more flowy and expressive. She just needs to start moving her upper body and head especially along with the nuances of the music and this program will become quite good. I just hope she can get her boot problems fixed in time for the GP!

I hope that the skaters assigned to Nebelhorn can do their best and qualify for the Olympic spots! Go Korea! :yay: :cheer2: :cheer:

Along with this discussion about the remaining spots, why don't we talk about the ladies' two spots too? This discipline doesn't need to worry about Nebelhorn because Dabin earned 2 spots at Worlds earlier this year, so who do you think will take those spots?

I think Dabin is very likely to take one of them. Last season, she placed top 5 at 4CC, won the Asian Winter Games, and placed top 10 at Worlds. So far this season, she won the Nebelhorn qualification event in Korea and placed 4th at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (with easier technical content for both). She has proved that she's a reliable skater.

Now for the others...Nahyun and Soyoun are the more well-known skaters in the current field, but they both dealed with injuries last season and are struggling to get back this season. So I think that the two who reached the podium with Dabin at the Nebelhorn qualification event (Hanul and Sohyun) have brighter chances at the moment. But they have no events until Nationals, while the other three have GPs to prepare for. Also, there is still another qualification event left in Korea before Nationals too (when is that again?).

What do you guys think?

Nahyun didn't look so hot last week and Soyoun still seems to be nursing her injury.:( I love Soyoun, but no matter how much of a beautiful skater she is, she won't be able to beat the others if she can't go clean in the FS. We've already seen in the last qualification competition that they're willing to score her ahead of the others besides Dabin even with easier tech content, but it'll mean nothing if she falls and pops a lot in the FS.:sad4: Dabin with her stability already seems like a lock-in to me. Sohyun seems to deal with a lot of underrotation issues, but I really like her programs and skating so I hope she can manage that issue well enough. Hanul seems to have an edge over the other girls at the moment to me, but we will see in the second qualification event. I still think it's dumb how they're only taking into consideration those 3 events.:disapp: Or at least not weighting nationals the most since it would be the most recent event before the Olympics and after most of the season so everyone should be up to speed. I see that KSF is trying to appear transparent on their selection process so people won't accuse them of pushing skaters to the spots over other more deserving ones, but it's too simplistic for a decision that will affect so many things!

breadstal

Record Breaker
Kim Siblings last in SP at Nebelhorn :( They didn't have much chances for spot but I'm still sad, 9 points away from their PB. SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojruuJ8A_w

June-hyoung had mistake on 3A but overall did very well and he's 4th after short! SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmQ4YkI6es

You Young singled 3T and got ! on flip. Also StSq level 2. 9 points difference between her and 3rd place, kinda impossible for her to medal but let's just cheer for she to do her best in free :pray: I still enjoyed her performance, she didn't give up and the rest was pretty good for debut! SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDQLt4L-1U

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Kim Siblings last in SP at Nebelhorn :( They didn't have much chances for spot but I'm still sad, 9 points away from their PB. SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojruuJ8A_w

You Young singled 3T and got ! on flip. Also StSq level 2. 9 points difference between her and 3rd place, kinda impossible for her to medal but let's just cheer for she to do her best in free :pray: I still enjoyed her performance, she didn't give up and the rest was pretty good for debut! SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDQLt4L-1U

Young's SP performance is not bad, just one mistake. I am a bit not sure about the music, but the choreography definitely light up the program! Love Shad-Lynn's work. Wish her all the best for the free.

s_parks

Record Breaker
The competition for the men's spot is kinda heartbreaking. I'm happy that june hyoung skated well and earned the spot for men's, but on a normal day jun hwan can outskate the others. If jun hwan can be healthy, that's gonna be awkward...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The competition for the men's spot is kinda heartbreaking. I'm happy that june hyoung skated well and earned the spot for men's, but on a normal day jun hwan can outskate the others. If jun hwan can be healthy, that's gonna be awkward...

Wait. Host only get one spot?!!!! Seems stingey!!! :(

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Wait. Host only get one spot?!!!! Seems stingey!!! :(

They only earned one spot, based on June Hyoung's placement at Nebelhorn.

Skating has such limited Olympic spots to begin with that giving multiple host spots to a country (assuming they didn't earn them at Worlds) isn't really possible without taking them away from other countries.

(They did earn 2 spots for Ladies based on Worlds!)

breadstal

Record Breaker
If Ice Dance team will qualify for their spot, Korea will skate in Team Event. About men, is this possible for one skater to compete in singles and other in Team Event?

s_parks

Record Breaker
If Ice Dance team will qualify for their spot, Korea will skate in Team Event. About men, is this possible for one skater to compete in singles and other in Team Event?

No, there can only be one men's skater since they only qualified one at nebelhorn, i believe. I think a korean pair can just do the team event though?

breadstal

Record Breaker
No, there can only be one men's skater since they only qualified one at nebelhorn, i believe. I think a korean pair can just do the team event though?

Yeah, pair team can in team event. "For a nation to be represented in the team event it must have qualified entrants in three of the other four Olympic events. The host (South Korea) can qualify for each event as host if the additional athletes quota for the team event is not used up. However they cannot qualify for the team event by use of 'host' qualifiers." cr: to Wikipedia lol