2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table

pearly

Record Breaker
"Otherwise, why specify "only one discipline" when countries who qualified 3 disciplines would only need 1 AAQ entry by default? "

Isn't it that if a country is missing for example one pair they would need and use 2 AAQ?

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
So Australia, Czech Republic, Israel, South Korea and Ukraine will duke it out for the final two spots in the team event.

These countries can gain qualifying points in the Grand Prix as follows:

Australia - GP men (Kerry - 1)

Czech Republic - GP ice dance (Kuzmichova/Sinicyn - 1), pairs (Duskova/Bidar - 2) and men (Brezina - 1)

Israel - GP ice dance (Tobias/Tkachenko - 2) and men (Bychenko - 2, Samohin - 2)

South Korea - GP ladies (Park - 2, Kim - 1, Choi - 2), GP men (Cha - 2)

Ukraine - GP ice dance (Nazarova/Nikitin - 1)

A skater/team has to place in the top 8 at a GP event to gain points. It is unlikely that any of these skaters will make it to the GPF. As well, there are still two JGP events to go where points can be accumulated. (Why does the JGP final not count for points, I wonder?)

Who would you predict the final two countries to be?

figurefan0726

Final Flight
So Australia, Czech Republic, Israel, South Korea and Ukraine will duke it out for the final two spots in the team event.

These countries can gain qualifying points in the Grand Prix as follows:

Australia - GP men (Kerry - 1)

Czech Republic - GP ice dance (Kuzmichova/Sinicyn - 1), pairs (Duskova/Bidar - 2) and men (Brezina - 1)

Israel - GP ice dance (Tobias/Tkachenko - 2) and men (Bychenko - 2, Samohin - 2)

South Korea - GP ladies (Park - 2, Kim - 1, Choi - 2), GP men (Cha - 2)

Ukraine - GP ice dance (Nazarova/Nikitin - 1)

A skater/team has to place in the top 8 at a GP event to gain points. It is unlikely that any of these skaters will make it to the GPF. As well, there are still two JGP events to go where points can be accumulated. (Why does the JGP final not count for points, I wonder?)

Who would you predict the final two countries to be?

I’m probably going to predict South Korea and Israel because they have strong skaters compared to the other countries.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'll be continuing the table until the end of the grand prix, but i think its quite clear which ten nations will qualify, and which nation, for the second games in a row will be sitting first alternate for the team event (clearly im not being salty about it at all! 😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll be continuing the table until the end of the grand prix, but i think its quite clear which ten nations will qualify, and which nation, for the second games in a row will be sitting first alternate for the team event (clearly im not being salty about it at all! 😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Well I'll throw the damn salt everywhere because we should have a pair on the GP and don't because of the stupid ISU rule change and the big countries acting like big countries. (Which was also evident in the selection of the men's alternate at NHK.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I'll throw the damn salt everywhere because we should have a pair on the GP and don't because of the stupid ISU rule change and the big countries acting like big countries. (Which was also evident in the selection of the men's alternate at NHK.)

just a question ? would placing high on JGP do better in terms of points than placing low on the GP?

There are tons of good arguments for staying junior Grand prix wise...

It gave them a warm up event (and they needed it!) before Nebelhorn...
they could have done another challenger series but those don't give points... so right away, they collected some points,had a warm up event, and then qualified...

now they have a second event to make points... (not sure if making the JGPF would count as points as well though?)...

but I don't see the glass half empty as you do...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
just a question ? would placing high on JGP do better in terms of points than placing low on the GP?

Out of curiosity, I looked up the points. First at a JGP is 250 points. To get more points than that at a GP, a skater/team has to place 5th or better. From there on, the points interleave, ie GP5 > JGP1 > GP6 > JGP2 > GP7 > JGP3 > GP8 > JGP4. But GP 8 is the lowest GP ranking that gets points, whereas points are also given for JGP 5 - JGP 10.

I think it's very likely that A/W will wind up with more points from their best JGP than they would have earned from a single GP. A JGP result of first or second is very attainable for them, if they have another JGP. To best that they'd need 5th or 6th at a GP, which I think would be much harder for them.

If they don't have another JGP, then they would have had to do 8th or better at a GP to beat what they've already done.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Out of curiosity, I looked up the points. First at a JGP is 250 points. To get more points than that at a GP, a skater/team has to place 5th or better. From there on, the points interleave, ie GP5 > JGP1 > GP6 > JGP2 > GP7 > JGP3 > GP8 > JGP4. But GP 8 is the lowest GP ranking that gets points, whereas points are also given for JGP 5 - JGP 10.

I think it's very likely that A/W will wind up with more points from their best JGP than they would have earned from a single GP. A JGP result of first or second is very attainable for them, if they have another JGP. To best that they'd need 5th or 6th at a GP, which I think would be much harder for them.

If they don't have another JGP, then they would have had to do 8th or better at a GP to beat what they've already done.

they are competing in their second JGP this week... so they have another chance to get their 250....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The battle between Australia vs Israel on the Senior GP.

Australia:
Brendan (1 event)
Kailani (1 event)

Israel:
Tobias/Tkachenko (2 events)
Samohin (2 events)
Bychenko (2 events)

So basically, we're sunk, even if Brendan picks up a second, unless both Brendan and Kailani light up their GPs and all three Israeli entrants have meltdowns.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The battle between Australia vs Israel on the Senior GP.

Australia:
Brendan (1 event)
Kailani (1 event)

Israel:
Tobias/Tkachenko (2 events)
Samohin (2 events)
Bychenko (2 events)

So basically, we're sunk, even if Brendan picks up a second, unless both Brendan and Kailani light up their GPs and all three Israeli entrants have meltdowns.

I don't think so. A country only gets to count one result. Granted, more skaters and events have a better chance of getting a better maximum, but still only one counts.

Kailani getting an event many tip the scales for Australia, and here's why:

South Korea has GP entries in both men and ladies BUT they already have JGP points in those events (and only those events). When the GP points come in, they will lose the corresponding JGP points (if the GP points are higher).

Similarly, Israel has GP entries in men and ladies BUT they already has JGP points in those events (and only those events) . Again, GP points will replace the JGP points.

Australia has GP entries in mens and ladies. They have JGP points in men's, and will probably lose them when the senior men's GP points come in. But they have no ladies JGP points, so won't lose anything there. And Australia will get to keep the JGP points in pairs and ice dance!

Overall, the countries have a possibility of JGP/GP points in
Korea - 2 events (men and ladies)
Israel - 2 events (men and ice dance)
Australia - 4 events (men and ladies GP, pairs and dance JGP)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... When the GP points come in, they will lose the corresponding JGP points (if the GP points are higher). ...

My understanding is different. AFAIK:

If a country has at least one GP entry in a discipline, then qualification points from the GP supersede *any* qualification points the country would have gotten from the JGP.

Does not matter whether the number of points from the GP placement is lower or higher than the number of points corresponding to a JGP placement.​

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

If a country has at least one GP entry in a discipline, then qualification points from the GP supersede *any* qualification points the country would have gotten from the JGP.

Does not matter whether the number of points from the GP placement is lower or higher than the number of points corresponding to a JGP placement.​

Thank you for that correction. That makes it even better for Australia. If nobody withdraws from the GP, Korea and Israel are going to lose all their JGP points, whereas Australia will keep their 250 from pairs and 120 from ice dance.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thank you for that correction. That makes it even better for Australia. If nobody withdraws from the GP, Korea and Israel are going to lose all their JGP points, whereas Australia will keep their 250 from pairs and 120 from ice dance.

Don't you love how unpredictable this qualification system is!

GF2445

Record Breaker

Yes, and conversely, if a nation doesn't earn any qualification points at a GP (they finish outside top 8), then the Junior Points count instead.

_____

Also going back to team event qualification.....did some predictions and yes, it really is a race between Australia and South Korea for the number 10 position. I think Israel is a shoe in- I'm predicting 4th or 5th place finishes from Alexei Bychenko and Tobias/Tckachenko. I don't think Ukraine have a chance, even if their Dance team does well in their GP assignment. For Czech Republic, even if Duskova/Bidar get points, they are too far behind in points at this stage, unless Brezina has some sort of resurrection and have the skates of his life (which seems increasingly unlikely).

South Korea and Australia only have grand prix entries in singles.
As a reference. At this point in time, after the JGP, South Korea are on 1397 points and Australia 1320 Points, a difference of only 77 points.

Womens
Kailani Craine (Skate Canada)
Dabin Choi (Cup of China and Skate America)
So Youn Park (NHK)

At the moment South Korea have earned 225 Qualification Points in Womens via the Junior Grand Prix. The only way for it to increase is if Dabin or So Youn have a top 6 finish (considering the field, it is unlikely at this time. Dabin is the only one who can do something as So Youn is still on the road to recovery). If they place 7th (213 points) or 8th (191 Points), they will in fact lose points (the 225 earned in the Junior Grand Prix will be replaced by GP points, even if GP points is lower than the points earned on the junior grand prix). Though seeming counterintuitive, if they finish outside the top 8, and not earn any grand prix qualification points, South Korea will keep the 225, and not lose their points.

On the other hand, for Kailani, she has nothing to lose. There is no risk of losing points as no Australian woman has earned qualification points for Australia so far during the JGP. Outside top 8 = 0 points. If she has a great skate and others do not, my best prediction for her is an 8th place finish, which will give Australia 191 points.

Mens
Jun Hwan Cha vs Brendan Kerry (Skate Canada)
Jun Hwan Cha (Skate America)

The critical battle is going to be in the men's event. At the moment, Both nations have earned 108 Qualification points in Men's through the Junior Grand Prix. Both countries are not at risk of losing any points. It's either they will keep their 108 or receive more points.

The million dollar questions is this- Will Jun Hwan be ready in time to compete at his best? We know how good he is (he will be Korea's next great male figure skater), but we also know that he is on the road back from injury (and the results of his first test skate was not the best). If he is able to compete close to his best or at his best, I predict he will earn the points South Korea needs to make the Team event.

For Brendan, it is critical that he has a top 8 finish. I'm predicting that Brendan, if he skate close to his best, could finish anywhere between 7th and 9th. He has never been that great on the Grand Prix, but strong results during the Challenger Series has shown that we might see a different Brendan in Regina come October 27-29.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Don't you love how unpredictable this qualification system is!
Excited!

Also, go Australia! Ever since Kailani got Skate Canada, I've been having hope.

GF2445, thanks for doing this chart. Could you make one amendment? Dastich has 148 points, as she finished 6th at Croatia Cup. Thanks.