2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 113 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why is this a big deal to you? And yes I'm entitled to my opinion without getting called on the carpet for it. I don't know why you would even care to make a point of it as it's such a small thing. ... It's what we do here - talk about costumes and music and choreography. ...

Nothing wrong with talking about costumes.

But I don't like misleading comments about anything -- whether about costuming or anything else.

And you made misleading comments about Karen's costuming.

If costuming is "such a small thing" within your overall opinion of the program, why did you need to make the misleading comments?
Why not state your overall opinion without mentioning costuming?

If someone said, "I loved Jason's orange Riverdance costume and the shamrocks in his hair; it's one of my all-time favorite programs," then I would reply and say that his costume was not orange and he did not have shamrocks in his hair.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Things are really looking dismal for the US Ladies as the season begins. Mirai has been the strongest Lady up to now and if she and Mariah finish out of top 5 in Russia, that leaves a lot of eggs in Karen's basket. I'm hoping that Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks can deliver under pressure and keep us in contention. Still hoping Ashley is ready and prepared for her first GP event.

I give Mirai a pass here because it is her first big event this season, and it must be intimidating competing against Caro and Evgenia. Most of our women have skated events this season that would leave them off the Nationals podium, so I'm not confident in saying any one of them will certainly make the Olympic team. Pick any skater and I won't be shocked if she doesn't make the team. I don't think we've ever had three totally wide open spots like we do this season.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I give Mirai a pass here because it is her first big event this season, and it must be intimidating competing against Caro and Evgenia. Most of our women have skated events this season that would leave them off the Nationals podium, so I'm not confident in saying any one of them will certainly make the Olympic team. Pick any skater and I won't be shocked if she doesn't make the team. I don't think we've ever had three totally wide open spots like we do this season.

I disagree I think Ashley is a lock. I can't see USFSA leaving her off the team unless she has meltdowns at her GP's and nationals.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I give Mirai a pass here because it is her first big event this season, and it must be intimidating competing against Caro and Evgenia.

........ I sorta can’t give Mirai a pass. She’s been competing against big names for years. Just like I can’t give Mariah a pass on her poor showing. Or, like I couldn’t give Ashley or Karen a pass if they have a poor showing in the coming weeks. Time to get on the ice and just do it. I just would like to see an American get rid of the nerves at least MOST of the time.
That being said, our US skaters are very talented. Truly. It’s a matter of nerves.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Things are really looking dismal for the US Ladies as the season begins. Mirai has been the strongest Lady up to now and if she and Mariah finish out of top 5 in Russia, that leaves a lot of eggs in Karen's basket. I'm hoping that Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks can deliver under pressure and keep us in contention. Still hoping Ashley is ready and prepared for her first GP event.

I've seen this movie before.....:scratch2:

andromache

Record Breaker
None of the US ladies are particularly Grand Prix ready, ever, aside from Ashley - though her ability to be at her physical peak may not be as great as it once was due to her age. Karen, Mirai, Mariah, Polina - none of them are known for being Grand Prix stars - none of them have ever been "in danger" of making the GPF. It's one of the major weaknesses of the US ladies in general - none of them are able to build momentum to get consistency-bonus PCS, aside from Ashley in the past.

No US lady is making the GPF. Ashley is going to peak at the Olympics and not a moment earlier.

Mirai is in incredible shape. Seriously - look up photos/videos of her from years past - she is fit AF. She's thinner and more toned than she has ever been. Her jumps are practice-solid. Weaving those jumps into a cohesive performance requires her to focus on her performance - including the music and choreography - and she hasn't been able to do that yet. It's all mental at this point. She's physically the best she's ever been. If Mirai had Ashley's ability to get involved enough in the performance and just do those elements without having to concentrate so hard (or vice versa), it'd be great. Become the character and emote to the music instead of thinking through every jump.

Karen and her coach Tammy Gambill need to collaborate with a jump expert like Alex Ouriashev, which would probably help Vincent, too. Seriously - there are clearly coaches who are good at some things and bad at others, and US skating would be much better off if those coaches would work together.

ETA: Glad to see Frank ditched the hat for a leather jacket. He looks 20 years younger.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah had a poorly executed 3-3 and she isn't a good fit for this SP but she looked pretty good IMO. I actually think the criticism of the program is warranted but also being exaggerated. If she goes lights out in the FS she could move up and maybe get a lucky bronze. Stranger things have happened but she has a real shot at 3rd or 4th. Not bad.

Mirai's best thing going for her is the 3a and people are already calling for her to trade it in for better jumps overall. Tough spot she's in.

tars

Record Breaker
Imho, you can't be wrong or right about Mirai or discuss her sensibly, if you don't know her goal.

- If she wants to fight for Olympic medal for real, she needs those 3As. If she is able to execute them and whole programs cleanly later in the season, GP outcomes might not matter so much as she's going to make history.
- If she "just" wants to become US medalist and Olympian, she probably should leave it and focus on landing and rotating standard jumps and improving overall performance. Clean and artistically solid 2A skates should be more than enough for one of three Olympic spots in current circumstances, while the negative cost of attempting 3A seems to be pretty high atm..

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
None of the US ladies are particularly Grand Prix ready, ever, aside from Ashley - though her ability to be at her physical peak may not be as great as it once was due to her age. Karen, Mirai, Mariah, Polina - none of them are known for being Grand Prix stars - none of them have ever been "in danger" of making the GPF. It's one of the major weaknesses of the US ladies in general - none of them are able to build momentum to get consistency-bonus PCS, aside from Ashley in the past.

No US lady is making the GPF. Ashley is going to peak at the Olympics and not a moment earlier.

Waaay to early to tell. This was only the first GP!

Icenetwork

Rinkside
Was Frank Carroll watching mirai at Rostelecom? Maybe to congratulate her for improving and getting herself back in the thick of things. Hopefully he can offer some help to get her the rest of the way.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I give Mirai a pass here because it is her first big event this season, and it must be intimidating competing against Caro and Evgenia.

:laugh: Of course it's intimidating, competing against the big girls. It always has been. For every one of our ladies.
People "give Mirai a pass" all the time. And what about Mariah? Shouldn't she get a pass too? Weren't Caro and Evgenia intimidating for her too? Mariah is ahead of Mirai by 7 points after today's SP.

Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I had and still have high hopes for Mirai. In the predictions game, I predicted her for the bronze medal at CoR. I hope she runs her own race, doesn't listen to what "people" want her to do, and decides with her team whether to continue going for the 3A or not. I still think doing it gives her extra drive.

Weaving those jumps into a cohesive performance requires her to focus on her performance - including the music and choreography - and she hasn't been able to do that yet. It's all mental at this point. She's physically the best she's ever been. If Mirai had Ashley's ability to get involved enough in the performance and just do those elements without having to concentrate so hard (or vice versa), it'd be great. Become the character and emote to the music instead of thinking through every jump.

I've always thought, and said, that if Mirai could focus on giving something to the audience, maybe it would take a bit of the pressure off her jumps. But developing Ashley's ability to get involved, become the character, and emote ... well, that would be slightly more than a 4-month project.

ETA: Glad to see Frank ditched the hat for a leather jacket. He looks 20 years younger.

Yes! It's a great look for Frank!

ButchUnicorn

Spectator
I mean absolutely no disrespect to her, but y'all need to stop trying to make Courtney Hicks happen. It's not going to happen.

Two words: Bradie Tennell. She's done the best internationally so far this year. She turned some heads at Champs Camp.

I think she's making a strong case of why she might surprise some folks at Nationals. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in South Korea.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I mean absolutely no disrespect to her, but y'all need to stop trying to make Courtney Hicks happen. It's not going to happen.

Two words: Bradie Tennell. She's done the best internationally so far this year. She turned some heads at Champs Camp.

I think she's making a strong case of why she might surprise some folks at Nationals. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in South Korea.

Are you saying that Courtney is "Fetch"......Remember "Mean Girls".........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt9Qx9MBPk

frida80

Record Breaker
My largest pet peeve. When someone does well in a comp, people hype them to high heaven. When they do poorly, they throw them under the bus. :disapp:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love when people come on here with several posts and tell us who to like and not to like and who the It girl is. :sarcasm::rolleye:

KweenAsada

On the Ice
Mirai should consider changing her SP music the stress gets to her she needs upbeat music

I would like to see her go back to the Demons short program. She felt that music. That emotion and confidence, combined with that triple axel, would make for one hell of a moment. Medal or no medal.