2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP

andromache

Record Breaker
Maybe judges are doing Ashley a favor because she's so good at being an underdog and likes the challenge of coming from behind? This is all just a strategy to make sure she doesn't bomb the LP!!!

evasorange

Final Flight
Also can I just say this was some of the WORST commentary I've heard from Tara and Johnny in a while...nothing but negativity and contradictions. NBC has got to get it together and hire more competent pleasant people...we could go pull any random off the street and they would probably do a better job

Lissy

Medalist
I agree with the placements for the top 6 for the most part but the scores are iffy at best.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I'm unclear why an unremarkable skater like Bradie was gifted the National championships with such a gap. If she earns it in the free, so be it, but it's absurd to inflate her in the SP in this manner.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Bradie PCS
PB: 29.38, This Season: 27.44, 29.38, NATIONALS: 32.91

Mirai PCS
PB: 33.00, This Season: 30.24, 30.72, NATIONALS : 31.19

Ashley PCS
PB: 34.77, This Season: 33.47, 33.68, NATIONALS: 32.94

Karen PCS
PB: 31.63 This Season: 30.43, 30.93 NATIONALS: 33.80

Are you serious??

Are they Voronoving Ashley!?

ask

Match Penalty
I thought Karen's SP was very elegant and had the most attention to detail (as J/T noticed, I actually agree with them for once) while having exceptional speed. Some other ladies were elegant but little speed. Bradie's arms and posture need some work, some of her positions are not very refined and she skates slow. Ashley went for a lot of gimmicky performance things like shaking her hands and bunny hops, and does not have quite as much worked out on the polish - plus, that small twizzle hiccup? That definitely brings down the PCS. Mirai has the capability of bringing attention to detail and elegance like Karen but she was waaay too nervous in the first half.

With all these considerations, the PCS are quite fair.

Yup. Karen has the best skating skills of these bunch. And she is polished.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Karen is really fast and does have an intricate program. I'm not all that worked up about her scores- I'm not really surprised they were generous with the defending champion. It's some of the other scores that have me scratching my head but I gave up on trying to figure out PCS a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Are they Voronoving Ashley!?

Voronoving needs to be an official skating term.

DexterK

On the Ice
I doubt it. She even said after the SP that she might consider getting a new shirt because the freshness of La La Land feels so good.

I hope so, I do not want to see Moulin Rouge again, and it seems the judges may feel the same. Ashley now has to be perfect in a program debut...really backed herself into a corner with this one. I hoping we see that fire and perfection on Friday night. I would love to see her command that program and audience, and then take a place on the podium.

frida80

Record Breaker
Looks like judges are looking to have Bradie or Mirai as National Champion and Karen as the 3rd pick. I think Ashley will be left off the team.

I don’t know yet. I know that Ashley has taken a huge risk with changing her program last minute. Skating with a brand new program is so hard. You don’t have the muscle memory at first to really nail the elements. I’d feel better if she had skated this at least at SA. But a fresh program? I’m afraid that she make some random errors that keep her score down. I was hoping her SP score could keep her aloft. Now, she must be perfect with a brand new program. This is not good.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Bradie PCS
PB: 29.38, This Season: 27.44, 29.38, NATIONALS: 32.91

Mirai PCS
PB: 33.00, This Season: 30.24, 30.72, NATIONALS : 31.19

Ashley PCS
PB: 34.77, This Season: 33.47, 33.68, NATIONALS: 32.94

Karen PCS
PB: 31.63 This Season: 30.43, 30.93 NATIONALS: 33.80

Are you serious??

Uh, yeah. I know USFSA is going to anoint Bradie as their leading lady - and arguably she is the most technically sound - but that PCS is cray.... she should not be 7 points ahead of Wagner, and they definitely should not be pretty much equal on PCS. Even with inflation to go from sub-30 to almost 33 is crazy.

It's pretty evident too that USFSA has lost their love for Wagner.

But we'll see what the FS holds.

The standings are about right but the skaters should be way closer to each other.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Ashley is in the same predicament as 2010 and 2014. She needs other skaters to bomb to make the Olympic team.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted this:

"In the mixed zone, @AshWagner2010 said she and Raf would "go back to the drawing board" after #USchamps18 and consider working up a new short. She's inspired by the freshness of "La La Land" and wants the same feeling in the short."

That message was intended for the judges’ ears.

They clearly sent her a note that they are over this short program. She better nail this LaLa program.

Putina

On the Ice
I meant that her program can be a lot more eye-catching and she has the ability to pull it off. Maybe have a professional choreographer look at it and give the program some accents here and there? Without going overboard, of course.