2018 Russian Junior Nationals Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Junior Nationals Ladies SP

Shayuki

Record Breaker
At this point, Trusova-Kostornaia-Gubanova looks like the trio they are setting up for, considering the very clear PCS separation between them and the rest of the field. Although Konstantinova somehow still has more PCS than any of them even though they're JGP top 2 and one's a national bronze medalist. So if she has a good FS they just might feel like sending her.

And for Konstantinova, "a good FS" means only 2 or so pops / falls, because it's not like she skates clean programs.

Wow Gubanova still have 2nd highest pcs. Even trusova is below her

They seem to recognize how badly she needs the junior worlds spot! Hopefully they stick to it during the FS as well. The margins are still very low and mistakes are going to cost a lot.

alvina9894

Final Flight
At this point, Trusova-Kostornaia-Gubanova looks like the trio they are setting up for, considering the very clear PCS separation between them and the rest of the field. Although Konstantinova somehow still has more PCS than any of them even though they're JGP top 2 and one's a national bronze medalist. So if she has a good FS they just might feel like sending her.

And for Konstantinova, "a good FS" means only 2 or so pops / falls, because it's not like she skates clean programs.

I'd like to remind you with the protocols of RusNats 2018 that, even with two mistakes, Konstantinova still managed to place 3rd in the free and 4th overall.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
3Lz-3Lo from Vasilieva :reye: Was not expecting that.

At Moscow cup, she attempted it but ended up popping. Good to see her succeeding with it.

I'd like to remind you with the protocols of RusNats 2018 that, even with two mistakes, Konstantinova still managed to place 3rd in the free and 4th overall.

Yes but seniors usually have much more room for PCS manipulation. Even in a domestic competition, I don't think quite such inflation is going to happen in juniors.

Of course, if she did end up skating clean clean she probably would take it no matter what but ...

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh dear...
I really wish I could get more excited about the best comp of the season but I can't

A well deserved lead for Sasha!!
I really don't see what's so special about Gubanova. Everyone loves her on here but her jump technique looks awful and her skating skills aren't all they're chalked up to be. I'd give the advantage to Kostornaya or Tarakanova any day.
So sad about Alena's fall. This really is an important comp and she needs to do well here. Still, she has the free ahead of her.
Why is Panenkova always so underscored?? And Tarakanova here as well, yes, she stumbled but still, this is ridiculous.
Konstantinova should have withdrawn here by the looks of that short. Of course she'll get Medvedeva-level PCS in the free :disapp: and somehow end up on the podium :dev2:
Was Anna clean?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Need to have scored 67.46 points for top 10.

In last season's jr nationals for instance, that same mark was 62.62. 67.46 would have been 4th.

starla16

Medalist
Of course not. How could she be special if she's still in juniors?

Her special talent is somehow getting the judges to overscore her time after time despite never skating clean. It's truly puzzling considering how many actually talented ladies who are actually capable of skating clean programs Russia has.

Especially when most of the time, these overscored skaters at least have some international accomplishments while she's a notorious choker in international competitions.

Sotnikova was also loved domestically, but I don't think she even had this level of inflation. :scratch3:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

They seem to recognize how badly she needs the junior worlds spot! Hopefully they stick to it during the FS as well. The margins are still very low and mistakes are going to cost a lot.

I don't care how badly she needs the JWC spot. She has to earn it. She hasn't so far this season and they don't have a BOW criteria.
If Tarakanova, Panenkova, or Shcherbakova are randomly placed behind her, I will be FURIOUS, ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Sotnikova was also loved domestically, but I don't think she even had this level of inflation. :scratch3:

At this age, she already was an olympic gold medalist, however. And she had some actual, much stronger international achievements even before that, like an Euro silver. Another difference is that in Sotnikova's time, the competition just wasn't there so it's easy to see why she would be pushed.

Now, though? It makes no sense at all to invest so heavily on someone like Konstantinova.

alvina9894

Final Flight
At Moscow cup, she attempted it but ended up popping. Good to see her succeeding with it.

Yes but seniors usually have much more room for PCS manipulation. Even in a domestic competition, I don't think quite such inflation is going to happen in juniors.

Let's compare PCS from the short programme:

Gubanova: 33.18(Sr), 32.57(Jr) ==> -0.61
Kostornaia: 32.63(Sr), 32.26(Jr) ==> -0.37
Guliakova: 30.45(Sr), 30.31(Jr) ==> -0.14
Panenkova: 30.68(Sr), 30.02(Jr) ==> -0.64
Konstantinova: 33.78(Sr), 33.08(Jr) ==> -0.70

For all junior skaters who participated in the Russian Nationals, the scaling of PCS are quite consistent. Therefore, I believe that if Konstantinova was able to get 74PCS in the RusNats, there is high probability that she would be able to get a similar PCS with around 1 point less (but still way over 70 PCS) as according to the Sr-Jr scale.