Record Breaker
Satoko! :cry:

But nice for the Japanese ladies to get the sweep here. Omedetō gozaimasu

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we don't care about this stuff anymore and it's just either some combination of a TES proxy and skating while European, then we should just dump the mark

Comments like this make me really uncomfortable. :noshake:

schizoanalyst

Medalist

Why? It's obvious there is a European bloc. This has nothing to do with individual skaters and everything to do with the ISU using a judge selection mechanism that encourages this type of behavior. Empirical research has found this since 6.0. This isn't new.

Citation: Zitzewitz, Eric. "Nationalism in winter sports judging and its lessons for organizational decision making." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 15, no. 1 (2006): 67-99.

" In figure skating, likelihood is maximized for the top-10 countries by a model in which the U.S., Canada, Germany and Italy are in one bloc, and France, Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine are in another. Japan and China are not consistently classified in one bloc or the other, and thus could be thought of as nonaligned (Table 8)."

North Americans and Europeans bloc judge unfairly. Asians countries don't. If America had anybody to inflate or Osmond was clean ever you'd see absurd scores similarly. This is just how it is.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did I miss?? Where is Zijun Li?? I’m afraid to ask honestly but the first video I planned on watching was hers :dbana:

Globetrotter

Medalist
There's no language such as Taiwanese, i think you mean Chinese Mandarin.

BTW how come Ashley is not here.

Oh but there is. The southern Min dialect variant spoken in Taiwan is commonly called Taiwanese in English. Variants of it is also commonly spoken in Fujian province in Mainland China. Spoken Taiwanese really bears little resemblance to Mandarin Chinese. Spoken Cantonese in Hong Kong and which is what Michelle Kwan and Patrick Chan are able to speak, is actually closer in structure to standard mandarin than Taiwanese and the Min dialects.

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice
My sister came to visit so we watched the last group together.

Dabin: So happy she nailed all the jumps and was clean. I'd like to see her attack the program more, especially when going into the jump, a bit more speed woudn't hurt. But she has come a long way after her junior days, improved presentation although she can work on projecting more.

Kaori: I'll admit I'm not her biggest fan. There's something stiff about her skating, probably her posture that bothers me, although her skating is smooth. She does have great huge jumps that covers big distance. Not a fan of the miming, but the program kinda works for her. lots of attack. (My sister didn't like her so much, most likely due to posture)

Mai: My sister liked her the most of the last group I think. She's so cute and smooth around the ice. Woudn't mind her winning, it was really close. Good to see her end the season on a high note. (Does she have any other assignments ?) .

Satoko: My sister thought she was fast, really elegant and lovely. Lots of detail and great spins. The jumps didn't bother her as much as it bothered me. Shame about the fall since she's so solid. I think I like her national performance better, felt like she projected more. Still don't like this program, mainly because of the music (why madame butterfly :no: ). Her LP last year The Planets was much better.

Sad about Soyoun low PCS, although it's not new. She's not really an extrovert and a natural performer, but I feel like she feels the music and interprets it with her body, arms and movements, it's underrated. Super happy to see her skate again and not being a disaster :biggrin:

Hope the girls can choose some stronger piece of music next season. I want to see even more attack :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kaori, the ray of sunshine. :love:

Kaori is the cutest, always so smiley. ...

Satoko! :cry:

But nice for the Japanese ladies to get the sweep here. Omedetō gozaimasu

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Wow, local announcer is interviewing Kaori in Japanese and interpreting into Taiwanese! Go dude! (I'm a translator, can't help myself :eek:: )

Into Mandarin? Or did you really mean Taiwanese?? (Not synonymous.)

I haven't seen the interview, but I would be surprised if the announcer interpreted into Taiwanese?? ...

... Spoken Taiwanese really bears little resemblance to Mandarin Chinese. ...

Thx to nolangoh, Globetrotter, and jenaj for further elucidation :thank: :agree: :ghug:

Was never trying to make a mountain out of a molehill ... just thought that maybe Sai Bon -- as a professional interpreter/translator -- would like to be aware of a distinction btwn Taiwanese vs. Mandarin.

I now have seen the interview: https://youtu.be/npNzv02F_DE
I am 99.99999% sure that the announcer is interpreting from Japanese into Mandarin. (Does not sound at all like Taiwanese to me.)

As Sai Bon said, all respect to the announcer :bow:.

Kinga

Medalist
I don't understand why the PCS of Japanese ladies is not in + 70 territory. They are such a joy to watch! Smooth like a butter, excellent skating skills, great flow, attention to details, good interpretation, difficult content but without jamming the programs with laboured unecessary movements. Please, can someone explain it to me? (That is rethorical question, I guess I can only give up on judging now :palmf:

LRK

Record Breaker

Making derogatory blanket statements about Europeans in general or Russians in particular is perfectly fine. Now, if you made them about another continent or country, why, that would be wrong. ;)

tjb

Match Penalty
you just can't take seriously complaints about zagitova PCS from a people that praising mihara and sakamoto artistry and "attention to detail".
those two are the epitome of juniorish skating, but since they are not russian, there is of course excellent skating skills, choreography, interpretation and attention to detail involved

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I'm so happy for Kaori :yahoo:

Aside from Satoko's fall, the japanese trio was awesome.

you just can't take seriously complaints about zagitova PCS from a people that praising mihara and sakamoto artistry and "attention to detail".
those two are the epitome of juniorish skating, but since they are not russian, there is of course excellent skating skills, choreography, interpretation and attention to detail involved

Mihara is definitely better than Zagitova on the skating skills aspect, and I'd wager Sakamoto, too. I do think Sakamoto is still a little juniorish, and I for one am not calling her excellent, and am certainly not comparing her to Zagitova.

And seriously? They are really not the "epitome" of juniorish skating. I'm not saying that just because "they are not Russian".

You know who are the epitome of junior-ish?

Juniors.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Kaori seems underappreciated here, but I'm a big fan and have been since I was introduced to her this season. Very stoked for her.

I'm happy for her as well. She's improved steadily this season and while still a bit unrefined has a nice quality to her skating. How surprising that she is looking like the top Japanese lady at the Olympics!

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I never said anything about Russian or European skaters. Nor did I criticize them. I pointed out that European skaters benefit from bloc voting more than Asian skaters. We’re recognizing that Russia, Eastern Europe, and French judges collude as a bloc. Naturally, skaters of talent will benefit from this bloc. If North America had skaters of any talent or consistency, you’d see similar collusion help from Germany more evident, but alas Osmond wants to do her best to screw up constantly so nobody can prop her up.

Even casual fans under 6.0 accepted this obvious reality, but for some reason it is taken as some grave crime to state the obvious.

Again from: Zitzewitz, Eric. "Nationalism in winter sports judging and its lessons for organizational decision making." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 15.1 (2006): 67-99

“In figure skating, likelihood is maximized for the top-10 countries by a model in which the U.S., Canada, Germany and Italy are in one bloc, and France, Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine are in another. Japan and China are not consistently classified in one bloc or the other, and thus could be thought of as non- aligned (Table 8).”

The analysis was done on the top 10 countries for judges simply because the data was large. It doesn’t take a genius to extrapolate that Korea isn’t colluding with Japan and that most of the Eastern European countries are blocing with Russia. The analysis is 10 years old, but the incentives created by the judge selection mechanism (as opposed to ski-jumping where the paper found no bloc voting) still exists so there is little reason to expect a change in behavior.

For the record, none of the women in the top 25 look anything like junior skaters lmao.

livetoskate

On the Ice
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Thx to nolangoh, Globetrotter, and jenaj for further elucidation :thank: :agree: :ghug:

Was never trying to make a mountain out of a molehill ... just thought that maybe Sai Bon -- as a professional interpreter/translator -- would like to be aware of a distinction btwn Taiwanese vs. Mandarin.

I now have seen the interview: https://youtu.be/npNzv02F_DE
I am 99.99999% sure that the announcer is interpreting from Japanese into Mandarin. (Does not sound at all like Taiwanese to me.)

As Sai Bon said, all respect to the announcer :bow:.

Yes, the guy interviewing Kaori was translating into Mandarin Chinese. He sounds like a native Taiwanese who was a little hesitant speaking in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npNzv02F_DE

She wanted to work harder this season. Between now and the Olympics she will continue to practice diligently to give an even better performance. She hasn't even had the chance to eat xiao3 long2 bao1 (little steamed meat dumplings) in Taiwan yet, so tomorrow when she has time, she's going to go eat them!

beki

Medalist
Kaori is getting the push now that Mai and Wakaba should have been getting earlier in the season.