2024 Four Continents Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2024 Four Continents Men's Free Skate

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
are you kidding me ? they are making him do another event ?

I really like the 3lz-3lo combo in the SP. So I prefer the 1 quad short.
For the LP, I prefer the 2 quads layout but if he is daring, I could understand... if he feels he is healthy enough to do it. With so many guys doing 3-4 quads, it's getting necessary. I mean, even my chiddy back then felt like 2 quads was no longer enough.. in 2016... so imagine now .

But to me, as I love his skating, I just care about health and not results.
NWSF is not mandatory (unlike the Ranking Competition and Nationals), he is actually choosing to do it. I am not quite sure about that choice but he has said over and over again that he wants to up his tech so I am assuming that he needs a (relatively) minor competition like NWSF to test out his strategy. And I understand why he wants to up his tech, he wants to break 300 and win big things just like any other competitive athlete and he will need higher tech for that. But for me, who die every time I see him fall, I want him to take the safer route... (deep sigh) But on the other hand I would love to keep three spots and the burden will be heavy on my darling's shoulders since Sihyeong is also recovering and Hyungyeom is new to senior Worlds... Ugh now I have a headache

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ah right... When I said "international competitors" I meant people who go to almost every major competition... but yes, they're also tall.
Orzel has been to 3 ISU champions 4CC 2023 and 2024. Worlds 2023. Not sure Lee and Memola have done as many major seniors in the same time span which corresponds to the new quad cycle... but whatever ;) there are more tall guys than Lee and Memola.. that was my point ;)

I checked for the current quad cycle.
Lee 1 ISU championship 4CC 2023 no worlds (he did have events in the Olympic year)
Memola 1 ISU championship Euros 2024 no worlds
GOGO 1 ISU championship 4CC 2023 no worlds
Romsky 1 ISU championship 4CC 2024 no worlds (he did have events in the Olympic year)
Conrad 3 ISU championships 4CC 2023, 2024 and worlds 2023.

I am not sure what parameters you are using but major competition, if looking at ISU championships, the 3 Canadians are equally if not more present this cycle.

If you are interested, there is a thread about tall skaters.

Last edited:

16Olympics

On the Ice
NWSF is not mandatory (unlike the Ranking Competition and Nationals), he is actually choosing to do it. I am not quite sure about that choice but he has said over and over again that he wants to up his tech so I am assuming that he needs a (relatively) minor competition like NWSF to test out his strategy. And I understand why he wants to up his tech, he wants to break 300 and win big things just like any other competitive athlete and he will need higher tech for that. But for me, who die every time I see him fall, I want him to take the safer route... (deep sigh) But on the other hand I would love to keep three spots and the burden will be heavy on my darling's shoulders since Sihyeong is also recovering and Hyungyeom is new to senior Worlds... Ugh now I have a headache
Maybe he'll see how he feels when the time comes and decide not to push the ankle before Worlds. Maybe. There is plenty of time between now and Montreal for him to heal and train.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Orzel has been to 3 ISU champions 4CC 2023 and 2024. Worlds 2023. Not sure Lee and Memola have done as many major seniors in the same time span which corresponds to the new quad cycle... but whatever ;) there are more tall guys than Lee and Memola.. that was my point ;)

I checked for the current quad cycle.
Lee 1 ISU championship 4CC 2023 no worlds (he did have events in the Olympic year)
Memola 1 ISU championship Euros 2024 no worlds
GOGO 1 ISU championship 4CC 2023 no worlds
Romsky 1 ISU championship 4CC 2024 no worlds (he did have events in the Olympic year)
Conrad 3 ISU championships 4CC 2023, 2024 and worlds 2023.

I am not sure what parameters you are using but major competition, if looking at ISU championships, the 3 Canadians are equally if not more present this cycle.

If you are interested, there is a thread about tall skaters.
Yes, I also mentioned in my initial post that there are more tall guys than Lee and Memola.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's chaos time! :devil: But, I'm afraid I won't be joining you, because I haven't seen the SP yet.

Livestream for Men's FS is now on air.
I haven't seen either one yet. I have seen the results and i am looking forward to seeing the actual skates. Hmm Sunday sounds good...

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gah! My internet connection has degraded to the point of watching in 240p on YouTube stream despite rebooting and re-seating components. But happy I can watch lovely men with you even with fuzzy stream.
For anyone with buffering, degraded pictures, this is how I think I have solved my problems.

icewhite

Record Breaker
He doesn't have a lot of character and personality, does he? I mean, he skates very nicely but he is not a very exciting skater to watch.

I see quite a few people thinking so, but I don't really get it. I don't know about his personal personality, but as a skater he is able to express the music because he owns the technique - he doesn't have to be careful. Because he is so secure in elements and skating skills he has the head space and freedom to concentrate on interpreting the music throughout, his intensity is there from the start and does not drop before or after the elements, he doesn't lose power in the end, he doesn't turn his head already in the direction of the jump a minute before.
I have often said I think the programs could be better. Especially the short program music really doesn't offer much for me - it's a very one note, staccato pop song with few nuances or colours, but I think he did everything that was possible with this music. Every detail there is, he reacts with an adequate movement.
The free, like most free programs nowadays, is very much a jump drill up to a certain point, and also it's now such a warhorse, I feel like there's not much to find there either. But he does his best to make it a whole.
I've also seen the impression that he's "too perfect". Maybe that bothers people. Maybe he's not edgy enough, you cannot see where he leaves the music and brings in something "of his own"?
Personally I still think the Bublé was the best for him so far, that light footed swingy smiley stuff looked like his. But then of course for most people Bublé is the personification of bland.
:confused:
I don't know. For me, he's thrilling to watch because I feel like someone takes me on a flight with them. It's very freeing and satisfying to watch someone on the ice with such control, ease, power, glide and flow, cheating nothing, but with a deep understanding of what he's doing.
:hap10:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering the way that his season has gone, that was a pretty solid skate by Roman - Well done! :) He moves and interprets music beautifully. I can't wait for the day when he finally, finally puts it all together with two amazing skates!
He is getting stronger as the season goes on. Keep on skating, I'll be waiting for the day WHEN it comes together again.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
16. Yudong CHEN 🇨🇳
Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence, The Last Emperor

4S (hand, forwards)
3F+3T
3A (fall)
FCCo4
ChSq1 +0.38
3Lz
3F+1Eu+3S
3Lo+2A+SEQ
3Lo
CSSp4
StSq2
CCoSp4

FS: 139.92 (5th)
TOT: 218.66 (1st)

Yudong is still dealing with back issues :( it's such a shame because he is such a good skater but I really don't like that he's skating injured
My after work brain wants to see him and Mai Mihara do a duet to this music.
If I can't have that, then I want to see Mai try on The Last Emperor and demand honor, respect and medals...

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's the latter but Chris is pronouncing it "Yin" at times and I honestly don't understand where he is getting that pronunciation from... But, whatever, it's hardly the only name that he's gotten wrong. None of us are perfect.
Chris, Ted and PJ Kwong have to meet up someday.
I want to see a Jeopardy version of Pronouncing Skater Names - PJ would win of course, but the battle for second would be epic.