Russian Senior Test Skates, 12-13 September 2020, Megasport arena | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Russian Senior Test Skates, 12-13 September 2020, Megasport arena

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Trusova: Strange, there are no rants about how bad music cuts are and the pieces doesn't work together, how the program can't make sense and blablabla like for Usacheva....
First music is good for big jumps. Good to see that she got back her 3lz-3lo. She kept her jumps and looks ready. The rest will be mental like last season.

Valieva: I don't understand the comparisons with a 27yo skating on the same music at olympics. Valieva can't give the same interpretation. The packaging only already make a big difference and she can't have the same packaging at 14yo.
I wouldn't say that she shouldn't skating on bolero after Kostner, i would say that any skater under 18yo shouldn't skate on Bolero. The program doesn't look great for now.

Tuktik: Nice dress. But the program is strange. Good effort though. Solid jumps but can she ditch that 3lz2A seq please?

Shcherbakova: Give the girl music with more life please. She's musical and have good interpretation but God, the girl can do something on firedance, asturias or something like that. Quad didn't work but solid on other elements (maybe some URs though). She looks ready for next week.

Medvedeva: The cuts are a bit strange but i like the singed part. The step seq shouldn't be on that part imo, but on the last. But like with masquerade she would need better SS to deliver more fierce steps to match the music. I feel like both music are too big for her, at least at this stagee of the season. Jumps are problematic. There are problematic since two seasons imo. She's more prone to URs, even if there it is worsened by the injury. Even if Russian judges will give her pcs above 35 in SP and close to 75 in FS, and qualifying for nats won't be a problem, she will need good tech scores later in the season to get close to the podium. So she needs a jump coach ASAP.

I like the training outfits of Shcherby and Valieva.
I don't want to be too optimistic for men wgo were btter than ladies in this event.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shcherbakova: Give the girl music with more life please. She's musical and have good interpretation but God, the girl can do something on firedance, asturias or something like that. Quad didn't work but solid on other elements (maybe some URs though). She looks ready for next week.

She seemed to me like Medvedeva 2016, lite.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
After watching the test skates, Pairs was the best discipline - in the sense that there were three pairs showing their programs at a competition-ready level.

But the name of the weekend is definitely Kolyada. Two good programs, the biggest standing ovations. He was fantastic.

eliana

On the Ice
Lisa Tuktamysheva is a sexy bombshell. Rarely have I seen so much sex appeal to a skater : eek: But I like her effort to skate as best she can

bramweld

Record Breaker
I love everything about the Trusova programme. Music cuts and all. It's not telling a story it's about the roller coaster ride of being Juliet so I dig it!

But in agreement with the general sentiments about Bolero on a 14 year old. There were some pretty cringe worthy moments there for sure.

EDIT: Liza just needs a smidge more fabric on bother her costumes. Either that or she could just incinerate them both and start over?:eeking:

eliana

On the Ice
In my opinion Sasha is the best! Very strong, very motivated, very ambitious. She looks like Plushy when he was young. I think Sasha and Aliona are on a good team

eliana

On the Ice
I love everything about the Trusova programme. Music cuts and all. It's not telling a story it's about the roller coaster ride of being Juliet so I dig it!

But in agreement with the general sentiments about Bolero on a 14 year old. There were some pretty cringe worthy moments there for sure.

EDIT: Liza just needs a smidge more fabric on bother her costumes. Either that or she could just incinerate them both and start over?:eeking:

However, Kamila did well. I liked it

bramweld

Record Breaker
However, Kamila did well. I liked it

No doubt she did well, she's a talented girl, there were moments of genius, but they could do better by her programme wise. My issue isn't with her she's a 14 year old kid, but rather the adults in her team.

Amei

Record Breaker
My first instinct of Trusova's FS is that it's another GOT repeat, its music that plays in the background while she's skating but she's not skating to the music. Valieva and Bolero, my gut is thinking that's a program that they plan on her using for 2 years for her to grow into. Tuktamysheva, it's clearly a Mishin touched program, I wonder if her consistency on the triple axel is being affected by training the quad. Shcherbakova, it's a nice program but a little too similar to her SP, would have liked for her to get something with more depth to it; her jumps looked a little better I didn't get the feeling of hammer-toe watching them. Medvedeva - program looks like it could be really good but she did not seem interested in being on the ice at all and the jumps are still problematic and the cartwheel attempt should really be taken out it.

I'm curious to know whose idea it was to milk the "my coach isn't able to be here in person" video calls both days?

zounger

Medalist
I watched only Kolyada and I don't have anything else to watch.A beatiful athlete, skater in all the spectrum of figure skating elements and categories. Bravo to him for the strong come back. To Mishin and his choregraphers.

randomfan

Record Breaker
As with yesterday here’s my personal ranking on what program looked the best to worst for me today (ignoring the jumps).

1. Tuktamysheva - actually I can see this working very well for her, still a lot of wrists and bland choreo but she really is making a visible effort on the artistry, music is very unique and interesting to listen to
2. Trusova - music cuts are atrocious (as with most R&J programs) but the program itself isn’t as bad as I expected it to be, much better than GoT for sure but once again if she can minimize the rushing and actually skate with the music I think it will work very well for her
3. Shcherbakova - feels too similar to the SP and honestly it didn’t seem as though anything was even happening throughout the program, i say it’s partly the music but also the lack of highlights from beginning to end
4. Medvedeva - I actually quite enjoyed the program as it was really out-of-the-box and I can see the weird choreo working for her, just couldn’t put it any higher because like the SP it looked very unfinished (understandable considering her situation)
5. Valieva - some jumps were nicely timed with the music so yay, everything else...oof

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Trusova: Strange, there are no rants about how bad music cuts are and the pieces doesn't work together, how the program can't make sense and blablabla like for Usacheva....

Cause to me at the very least i appreciate the little music transition in between the R&J Abel Korzeniowski and the Prokofiev version. (and i also appreciate it's a different rendition of the Prokofiev R&J with the piano)

https://youtu.be/JtM4tVEtuhw?t=220

While in Usacheva's free, there is none of that

https://youtu.be/hcl18x161FE?t=189

She seemed to me like Medvedeva 2016, lite.

They even taught her the same skid spiral Medvedeva used to have, although not as nice.

https://youtu.be/GBo2BJI8uoU?t=121

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Tsherbakova reminds me the Korean ladies more than Medvedeva. Kind of willowy and saccharine, but not all the way to too-cute the way the Koreans go.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Pairs- I liked Boikova/Kozlovskii and Mishina/Galliamov the best. I'll need a while to enjoy Pavliuchenko/Khodykin as much. I saw glimpses of the brilliance Ted spoke about in the second half, but want to see more visible emotional attachment from them to the music and to each other as the season progresses. Such a sad program calls for it. But this could be great, and they've certainly progressed from last season.

Dance - all are nice to watch, but noone really caught my eye

Men - my top 3 are Kolyada, Mozalev and Gumennik. Great skating from all 3. I missed more emoting in Kolyada's case, which is my only quip with his program. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but while he was perfect, it was the same for me as watching Chan years back - I just know he's spot on, but it feels distant and cold. I can see myself warming up to the program gradually. Mozalev and Gumennik were really into their programs, thumbs up to them. And Mozalev has extraordinary consistency on his jumps. I think Samarin has good music and general packaging this season. I am not a fan of his skating, but they're on the right track this season with what he got. This is actually the first time I find a program from him interesting.

Ladies:
It's exciting that some are on a similar footing and Eteri's dominance isn't as clean as in the years before (yes, yes, I know Trusova has freshly arrived from them). I think this rivalry will be great for Russian ladies skating. Schcherbakova and Trusova were the best. Anna is remarkably level-headed, she deals with competition stress like a boss and delivers. Her music is a bit boring though, I second whoever it was who wants something non classical/lyrical from her for a change. The biggest shoutout from me goes to Trusova because I was convinced I wouldn't enjoy her warhorse music, but to my surprise I did. She did a really good job, looked like she was really enjoying the program, and was apparently happy in her new environment. Valieva seems to be growing so that might have thrown her off a bit, though she seemed really nervous as well. I am not enjoying this Bolero much as of yet, she seems too young and delicate for this music. Maybe she'll surprise me later in the season. I had doubts about Liza's free program, but like with Trusova, I am eating my words because this was actually quite fun! I look forward to seeing her polish it. I appreciate her not taking traditional geisha/saigon/butterfly music but thinking outside the box. I can't really comment on Evgenia, it was a bit painful to watch. I still think Allegria is an interesting vehicle for her, but the program felt really raw, like she was having trouble recalling the choreo, plus the spins, UR and mistakes looked like she was having a health problem. I'm reserving my judgment for later when it's finished. But, I second the opinion that the step sequence would be better off near the end where the pace picks up! It felt quite out of place and off rhythm in the part she performed it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
My god, did Kolyada get reborn or something? His LP is stupendous; it was like watching Russian ballet on ice. People keep saying Chen has ballet training (lol) but Kolyada is the one where I see the ballet lines.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've watched some of the ladies and the men and Kolyada was the best and most enthralling of them all, even better than the superstar girls. Now if he can just keep it up in competition...

Will keep all fingers crossed (so excuse dodgy typing for the next few months).

LadyB

Record Breaker
When are the winners officially announced? Does anyone know?

There are no winners in Test Skates. The event presents an opportunity for skaters to present new programmes to the public ahead of competition and get some feedback/advice from senior officials/coaches/judges.

My faves were
Boikova/Kozlovskii SP, FS
Mishina/Gallyamov, SP, FS
Pavliuchenko/Khodikin FS
Misha SP, FS
Zagorski/Guerreiro RD, FD
Khudaiberdieva/Bazin FD
Samarin SP
Trusova SP
Liza FS

and I very much hope that Zhenya nails her FS. When she does, it will be marvellous.