Russian Senior Test Skates, 12-13 September 2020, Megasport arena | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Russian Senior Test Skates, 12-13 September 2020, Megasport arena

eliana

On the Ice
There are no winners in Test Skates. The event presents an opportunity for skaters to present new programmes to the public ahead of competition and get some feedback/advice from senior officials/coaches/judges.

My faves were
Boikova/Kozlovskii SP, FS
Mishina/Gallyamov, SP, FS
Pavliuchenko/Khodikin FS
Misha SP, FS
Zagorski/Guerreiro RD, FD
Khudaiberdieva/Bazin FD
Samarin SP
Trusova SP
Liza FS

and I very much hope that Zhenya nails her FS. When she does, it will be marvellous.

I see! Thanks!

Azikin

Medalist
and I very much hope that Zhenya nails her FS. When she does, it will be marvellous.
I agree the potential is there but I doubt she can do it this sunday. If she really is supposed to skate at the first stage of the Russian Cup..

LadyB

Record Breaker
I agree the potential is there but I doubt she can do it this sunday. If she really is supposed to skate at the first stage of the Russian Cup..

I'm inclined to agree with you as far as CoR is concerned. Especially when she remains all by herself. Kudos to wonderful Brian who can't do anything about not being there, but I wish she had some form of 'physical' team support.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Can she WD from her first competition and still qualify for Nationals? Sorry, I don't know how this series works, so I am thinking of it in terms of GP and GPF...

Fried

Final Flight
There are no winners in Test Skates. The event presents an opportunity for skaters to present new programmes to the public ahead of competition and get some feedback/advice from senior officials/coaches/judges.

This is actually true but there is actually no live broadcast of the test skates too. But this year is a special one. There was a live broadcast. And at the junior test skates, the "winners" were officially announced, albeit without any scores. So I'm curious to see whether it works out the same way with senior test skates.

katymay

Medalist
Can she WD from her first competition and still qualify for Nationals? Sorry, I don't know how this series works, so I am thinking of it in terms of GP and GPF...

She wanted to be free to leave for Canada. I believe she will WD, and try to get in shape for the next one which is in Oct. Then she will have to return for another one in order to qualify.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
The rule says you need to compete in two Russian Cup events. The Fed could make an exception but they have made it clear they are not keen on the idea. It already looks like a bunch of skaters would end up crammed into the last couple of events.

yume

šŸ‰
Record Breaker
She wanted to be free to leave for Canada. I believe she will WD, and try to get in shape for the next one which is in Oct. Then she will have to return for another one in order to qualify.

Wouldn't it be some favoritism to let her withdraw and get another event because she has to get in shape? I mean all skaters from national team knew their events and had to get in shape for them.
Yeah she seems to have an injury but she decided to compete at insignificant test skates with it one week before her first competition. I would understand if she was badly injured, unable to land jumps and had to stay out of ice for some weeks.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This is actually true but there is actually no live broadcast of the test skates too. But this year is a special one. There was a live broadcast. And at the junior test skates, the "winners" were officially announced, albeit without any scores. So I'm curious to see whether it works out the same way with senior test skates.

From news outlets it turns out that this year test skates are deliberately not even scored to avoid unnecessary pressure on the athletes. I think they still got the feedback from the council, just not the scores.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For about a minute Schcherbakova was my favorite. She skated to The Hours. The Hours is amazing and she was doing some nice lyrical things, aside from jumps with bad technique. Then suddenly they decided to not use that music anymore and the program died. Bye bye.

My god, did Kolyada get reborn or something? His LP is stupendous; it was like watching Russian ballet on ice. People keep saying Chen has ballet training (lol) but Kolyada is the one where I see the ballet lines.

This is the best Kolyada has skated since 2016 Worlds, really nice to see, and I'm surprised with Mishin that a more lyrical approach was allowed to come out.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

I'm pretty sure i did read somewhere the scores from Junior skate of this season. The one that girl with the triple axels won (sorry, i can't recall her name right now - Samodelkina maybe? Maya Kromykh SP score was just behind her and then her scores dropped after the free).

vorravorra

Record Breaker
My god, did Kolyada get reborn or something? His LP is stupendous; it was like watching Russian ballet on ice. People keep saying Chen has ballet training (lol) but Kolyada is the one where I see the ballet lines.
Kolyada didn't acquire his posture and lines by some miracle, he's had years of ballet training since an early age. And it didn't come easily, at least not at first, there is a lot of perseverance and hard work behind it. Of course it's normal for a Russian skater to have ballet training but it seems the amount and quality can differ substantially depending on the coaching group.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Wasnt last year broadcasted too?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
The rule says you need to compete in two Russian Cup events. The Fed could make an exception but they have made it clear they are not keen on the idea. It already looks like a bunch of skaters would end up crammed into the last couple of events.

Oh no. Kseniia already WD, and now Zhenya probably will too? Will the Fed be able to get them new spots?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Kolyada didn't acquire his posture and lines by some miracle, he's had years of ballet training since an early age. And it didn't come easily, at least not at first, there is a lot of perseverance and hard work behind it. Of course it's normal for a Russian skater to have ballet training but it seems the amount and quality can differ substantially depending on the coaching group.

Averbuck is also very capable of really good work when inspired.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^yeah I know these forums have shat on Averbukh for his mime programs, but he can churn out legitimate pieces when he wants to.

Amei

Record Breaker
^yeah I know these forums have shat on Averbukh for his mime programs, but he can churn out legitimate pieces when he wants to.

He's like every other choreographer - he has some hits and he has some duds. And they all tend to get criticized. I think the pandemic slowing down shows probably helped his ability to spend some more time on the programs he did.

Amei

Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be some favoritism to let her withdraw and get another event because she has to get in shape? I mean all skaters from national team knew their events and had to get in shape for them.
Yeah she seems to have an injury but she decided to compete at insignificant test skates with it one week before her first competition. I would understand if she was badly injured, unable to land jumps and had to stay out of ice for some weeks.

Does anyone know what the protocol is for the Cup events - can they withdraw from 1 and request a new assignment? It doesn't seem fair to someone with a late cup assignment because they won't have the same advantage. Is the qualification for nationals merely that they skate at 2 events or do they have to place a certain level? If she merely has to skate, she should make a decision to either a) WD from her cup events, forego Nationals (if they don't allow reassignments), get healthy and go to Canada and get some help or b) go to her Cup events with minimal technical content planned to avoid further injury and understand she's likely to finish off the podium, and get healthy for Nationals.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Does anyone know what the protocol is for the Cup events - can they withdraw from 1 and request a new assignment? It doesn't seem fair to someone with a late cup assignment because they won't have the same advantage. Is the qualification for nationals merely that they skate at 2 events or do they have to place a certain level? If she merely has to skate, she should make a decision to either a) WD from her cup events, forego Nationals (if they don't allow reassignments), get healthy and go to Canada and get some help or b) go to her Cup events with minimal technical content planned to avoid further injury and understand she's likely to finish off the podium, and get healthy for Nationals.
Skaters have to do two Cups and get points depending on their placement at each Cup, since 18 skaters per category (for singles at least) are allowed to attend RusNats, the e.g. 18 ladies skaters who collected the most points can attend RusNats. 1st place at a Cup gets the most points, then 2nd place and so on, similar to the GP.

Several skaters who were initially announced in August for the first stage and attended Test Skates are not on the entry list, so we will see if their assignments were just switched or they had to WD completely from the Russian Cups and cannot go to RusNats. The skaters are Ignatov, Khuds/Bazin and Morozov/Bagin. Some others were also removed but also withdrew from Test Skates.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chiming in late with some favorites.

Mishina/Galliamov:love: both programs, but especially Bohemian Rhapsody, which I will never tire of. M/G progressed leaps and bounds in these months, Moskvina forever!

Boikova/Kozlovskii, SP. Loved seeing how they have gone a new direction, more lyrical and mature. Disappointed to see them do Bond again, understandable though.

Anna S. - as talented as ever, and she's not hurried, I feel. Not going to let anyone make her doubt.

Sasha T. - I liked the SP, but in the long I didn't feel anything; seemed she was concentrating just on quads. Understandable, but there you go.

Ice Dancers Skoptsova/Aleshin - I just love how tall and blond she is, how red-haired he is, and how dramatic she is. Very fun to watch.

Kolyada - Gorgeous skating. I think sinusitis must have interfered with his balance and jumps. Divine skating posture.

Zhenya - So tough to be there without the support of her coach! Her skating will get better, but what I love is her unquenchable spirit. She will always come through with artistry.
(but I don't get the cartwheel ... it seems too risky, with gloves or bare hands.)

Kostornaya - When I watched her SP on Saturday, I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed that the program seemed like it didn't bring out what she's so good at doing. Then, I watched it again today, and I had a completely different impression. It seemed like there are plenty of places where more choreo and nuances will be, and I could see glimpses of the beauty she showed us all last year, and before. I think she needs to re-think the big kick after the axel; it just looks automatic and like it doesn't relate to anything at all. I feel confident that Shae-Lynne will choreograph so that we see interesting and dazzling things from Aliona. Working with Sergei R., chances are good she'll get the 3A back.