Let's Chat About Less-Known Skaters! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Let's Chat About Less-Known Skaters!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Victoria Morozova.... the girl will never make it to the big time, but I luv her skating and the royal blue dress.

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Lots of skater has both great talent and artistic skills but they are almost unknown because they has not impressive triples or quad jumps... And this is a pity!! Just consider this: Jason Brown has perfect skating artistry and reached that super elite level even without a quad!!! He's an example for many of us and for many young skaters!!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Lots of skater has both great talent and artistic skills but they are almost unknown because they has not impressive triples or quad jumps... And this is a pity!! Just consider this: Jason Brown has perfect skating artistry and reached that super elite level even without a quad!!! He's an example for many of us and for many young skaters!!
The sad thing is in another fed or at another time he would have been lost. Without the US flag they wouldn't give him fair scores, and if he came up to seniors during 2018-19 US fed wouldn't have pushed him nationally.
Overall, the opportunities to rise without the top tech content nowadays are heavily limited

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I quite agree, but it is also true that Jason is in his own league when it comes to artistry. Often I hear, sometimes about another skater I quite like, oh well they don't get these scores because they're not American.

Jason doesn't get those scores because he is American. The US Fed has never promoted Jason the way they promote quadsters and in fact the powers that be, rather than realize what he had to offer, came down hard on him about quads. Jason gets those scores because he is Jason.

However, I agree that younger skaters who may not be quite in Jason's league are not being rewarded appropriately for artistry. They don't need, or deserve, his scores, but they deserve higher than they are getting. Which means we are being deprived of seeing great skaters because they lack a revolution in the air.

In my mind, quite a loss, for skating and for fans.

Weathergal

Medalist
I quite agree, but it is also true that Jason is in his own league when it comes to artistry. Often I hear, sometimes about another skater I quite like, oh well they don't get these scores because they're not American.

Jason doesn't get those scores because he is American. The US Fed has never promoted Jason the way they promote quadsters and in fact the powers that be, rather than realize what he had to offer, came down hard on him about quads. Jason gets those scores because he is Jason.

However, I agree that younger skaters who may not be quite in Jason's league are not being rewarded appropriately for artistry. They don't need, or deserve, his scores, but they deserve higher than they are getting. Which means we are being deprived of seeing great skaters because they lack a revolution in the air.

:cheer2:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Jason doesn't get those scores because he is American. The US Fed has never promoted Jason the way they promote quadsters and in fact the powers that be, rather than realize what he had to offer, came down hard on him about quads. Jason gets those scores because he is Jason

Yet the American fed sent him to 2022 olympics. I agree with that decision, but it does also show he does have US fed backing as they had many excuses such as nationals results to send a technically brilliant quadster that lacked a high level of skating.

"Jason doesn't get those scores because he is American. The US Fed has never promoted Jason the way they promote quadsters and in fact the powers that be, rather than realize what he had to offer, came down hard on him about quads. Jason gets those scores because he is Jason"

The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not claiming he doesn't deserve high scores, quite the opposite. But the initial support from US (pre quad craze) was enough to get international reputation, and as a result, fairer scoring than small fed skaters.

Ignoring PCS, even stuff like his lutz edge hardly ever getting called out for example (with commentators calling it textbook) is part of the benefit of reputation + US fed.

If you copy and pasted Jason into a small fed, they probably wouldn't give him even 9s in components or higher than +1/2 on jumps. (Again, he deserves high PCS and GOE, I'm just saying that small fed skaters don't always get what they deserve).

I'm saying nowadays if somebody like Jason did come along, and they didn't get initial fed backing then they'd never get to the top level (as they wouldn't get the opportunity of international rep to build on). [Disclaimer - by top level I mean the level Jason is at.]

Sorry that I took us a bit off topic - I think if we continue this discussion we should consider starting a new thread.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi. I have collected every video I can find, and they are on my playlist of "when I need to feel good"....

(ps - how did a thread of lesser-known skaters turn into one on Jason??? :scratch2: It's one of the last things I'd describe him as)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi. I have collected every video I can find, and they are on my playlist of "when I need to feel good"....

I loved practically every programme I ever saw from Nelli and Alexander. They were so different, so unique, and so innovative.

Unfortunately, the Judges consistently felt the exact opposite. The Judges just didn't "get" them. And so they never got the marks many of us felt they deserved.

(ps - how did a thread of lesser-known skaters turn into one on Jason??? :scratch2: It's one of the last things I'd describe him as)

Good point!

But, that's the way some conversations go on here. They get side-tracked. But, the conversation usually gets back on course easily enough.

I've thought that about a lot of the skaters that have appeared in this thread. But, that might be a side-effect of me watching so many B events. :p

CaroLiza_fan

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany

If you are a fan of Nelli - I have some Gossip for you. She is now married to Florian Just, who was tha coach of Alisa Efimova / Ruben Blommaert, has a baby and is (at least for me) one of the most creative choreographer for Juniors/Novice in Oberstdorf

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you are a fan of Nelli - I have some Gossip for you. She is now married to Florian Just, who was tha coach of Alisa Efimova / Ruben Blommaert, has a baby and is (at least for me) one of the most creative choreographer for Juniors/Novice in Oberstdorf

Thank you! That is lovely to know, she and Alexander are among those who have given me a lot of pleasure when I needed it sometimes.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Speaking of (nearly) jumpless artistry, Ugozhaev had been quietly blooming in obscurity this year. I love his short in particular. It has cool storytelling, zero romance, but lovely passionate interpretation

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yet the American fed sent him to 2022 olympics. I agree with that decision, but it does also show he does have US fed backing as they had many excuses such as nationals results to send a technically brilliant quadster that lacked a high level of skating.

"Jason doesn't get those scores because he is American. The US Fed has never promoted Jason the way they promote quadsters and in fact the powers that be, rather than realize what he had to offer, came down hard on him about quads. Jason gets those scores because he is Jason"

The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not claiming he doesn't deserve high scores, quite the opposite. But the initial support from US (pre quad craze) was enough to get international reputation, and as a result, fairer scoring than small fed skaters.

Ignoring PCS, even stuff like his lutz edge hardly ever getting called out for example (with commentators calling it textbook) is part of the benefit of reputation + US fed.

If you copy and pasted Jason into a small fed, they probably wouldn't give him even 9s in components or higher than +1/2 on jumps. (Again, he deserves high PCS and GOE, I'm just saying that small fed skaters don't always get what they deserve).

I'm saying nowadays if somebody like Jason did come along, and they didn't get initial fed backing then they'd never get to the top level (as they wouldn't get the opportunity of international rep to build on). [Disclaimer - by top level I mean the level Jason is at.]

Sorry that I took us a bit off topic - I think if we continue this discussion we should consider starting a new thread.

Yes, the US fed actually followed their own selection criteria published in 2021. USFS sending Jason doesn't show favoritism to Jason, it shows that they actually bothered to stick to their criteria. :).

And I think we agree more than not: I'm not saying that small fed skaters don't deserve higher GOE. I'm saying they don't deserve Jason's GOE. You are probably, sadly right, that a young Jason skating for a small fed may not get the love. Or, more importantly, that young skater is not yet on Jason's level will get the love. But because revolutions in the air are prioritized as "progress", they never get the chance to even try, since it's all about the revolutions.

Now I think that Jason is a generational talent, and it would be almost impossible to duplicate what he does. But all skaters should be given the chance.

I also apologize for the off topic:ot:

Sackie

Medalist
For us CAN fans let's not forget Sebastien Britten who won Nationals one year as well as several international medals. He went to 3 worlds and 1 Olympics. He showed great skills and style on the ice but gave up on amateur competitions when he tried to add the 3A to his programs with little success. He did place 8th at his 1st worlds even without the 3A. But according to wikipedia ' In 1998, Britten beat several Olympic and World medallists to win the 1998 World Professional Figure Skating Championships held in Jaca, Spain.'

LeReveur

On the Ice

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Speaking of (nearly) jumpless artistry, Ugozhaev had been quietly blooming in obscurity this year. I love his short in particular. It has cool storytelling, zero romance, but lovely passionate interpretation

Kolya is promising in terms of jumps too. He has already landed clean 4Lz this season. And his Tango FS is also great.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Some of the skaters that I really liked during the Russian Grand Prix (the ones I knew almost nothing about before this season).

Yana Matveishina/Timofei Subbotin
For the dancers from a small city and given their young age, it was good. And I love their choreography. They have clearly progressed during the season.

Ekaterina Khrabrykh/Miron Suslov
Yana and Timofei's training mates. Unfortunately, they couldn't show their best due to health problems.

Ekaterina Anisimova
I didn't even know that Tula has figure skating. She is adorable.

Riana Kadyrova
Yasmina Kadyrova's little sister. She showed some nice skating in the second half of her first junior season.

Varvara Zhdanova/Timur Babaev-Smirnov
Their free dance is everything.

Varvara Cheremnykh/Daniil Butenko
This short program is just adorable. Choreo. by Betina Popova, I guess.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist

I think if Jason Brown was from a smaller fed, he wouldnt be able to afford the luxury of not bothering to practice quads or not spend as much time on it as other skaters. High tech give you reputation. If a new skater from a small fed did 3F and 2A, over another new skater with a quad, the higher tech skater would garner more traction towards the top and his pcs would rise faster, even if the 2A skater had better artistry. Because we all know judges dont actually judge what they see.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Jason Brown was from a smaller fed, he wouldnt be able to afford the luxury of not bothering to practice quads or not spend as much time on it as other skaters. High tech give you reputation. If a new skater from a small fed did 3F and 2A, over another new skater with a quad, the higher tech skater would garner more traction towards the top and his pcs would rise faster, even if the 2A skater had better artistry. Because we all know judges dont actually judge what they see.

Where in the world did the idea that Jason had a luxury of not practicing quads come from? He practiced quads long and hard, as much as any other (men’s) skater that I know for the two that he was practicing. He just never got a consistent one.

sorry again for the off topic, but I really couldn’t let this particular factual misstatement go. It's in my nature. 😄

back to celebrating lesser known skaters!:hap10: