2023-2024 Russian Nationals Jumping Championships | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2023-2024 Russian Nationals Jumping Championships

Skating91

Medalist
Yes, cyberbullying now means protesting sending a girl in obvious pain to go jump a quad after a quick-freeze. Horrible, horrible people who can't see the greatness of tough training.

Of course it hurt, but in any sport at a young age you decide to push through. I remember at that age getting kicked in the thigh and taking myself off the field my entire leg felt dead. The coach then wouldn't let me back on because I took myself off. Never again did I take myself off the field I learned to play through pain since I wouldn't be allowed back on. Next day I had an enormous black bruise.

That's sport at this level not very few are cut out for it. The doctor was there, felt her arm, no distress indicating it was broken, gave her some spray and off she went.

Maybe there should be medical time outs introduced into the sport?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
She wouldn't get the same PCS and GOEs with Armenia.
Maybe not, but she would have been fighting for something worth fighting for with a far bigger career pay offs. Her tech is extremely high. A couple of years would have scratched her PCSs and GoEs enough to challenge...unless you think she only has a single year in her? Lol.

Not moving to Armenia immediately or even before 2022 was the biggest mistake of her life, and that’s why I can't wholeheartedly cheer for her successes. They feel so pointless and wasted, versus what could have been. Lol, I could have been cheering for her in Montreal this March, not watching her on TV.

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Personnally, i gave up on reddit when posters threw hate on 13yo Inga Gurguenidze for winning a JGP bronze, despite her representing Georgia. Saying things like "Russia has always to ruin everything", because she was apparently training in Russia (curiously i've never seen the same about Gubanova while she is very much a product of Russian training system and is Russian in everything but on the passeport she uses for FS).
That site is satan's trunks.
In fact you may or may not like someone, that's normal. Especially if it's the flip side of favoritism for another sportsman. But belligerently hating anyone is a clear sign of mental pathology, hey dude, do you really want to spend your life hating and wishing death on some distant people? That says more about you than it does about them.

Skating91

Medalist
Simple: take the athletes of the ice. How difficult can it be to wrap your mind around this concept that injury means injury, and ignoring injuries and gaslighting athlets about their body signaling that something is wrong is counterproductive and plain cruel.

This is the nature of the sport. There are no injury time outs and skaters are punished harshly by the scorers if they take a break to get their injury assessed, so they almost always jump back up and skate through incredible pain not knowing how badly they are injured or not.

On this occasion they stopped, the coach checked the arm, the doctor checked the arm, put some spray on, asked if she can continue and she did.

She was also crying when she fell on the salchow yesterday, but then regrouped and jumped the salchow as a combo. It was the same situation.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
And to think she could have been the first world champion for Armenia, making history and amazing the world, making her community proud and basking in their love. Sad, sad...
I think her loyalty is with the people in her life, not with genetics or any country. Not everyone is running for acceptance of a crowd who will forget you 1 month after your retirement anyways. Its all fake.

I suppose I don't really know what to do with her in my head. Is she super tiny because she's just that way or will she grow and lose everything she has? She has flexibility and precision in her movements, but her skating skills don't impress me. She seems like a nice girl, but I guess I couldn't say much more about her. I guess they have not really given her an image yet. What is she, sweet, elegant, strong, funny, sporty, youthful...? I also haven't read any interesting interviews from her yet, but that may very well be due to the language and not much coverage now in non Russian media.
With Muravieva I feel I see an almost adult skater. With Petrosyan I just don't get that feeling yet.
Skating skills in what sense? Almost all Russians struggle with the Japanese sense of SS but thats the tradeoff for their speed and tech. Do you think Muravieva's programs this season have been particularly mature and profound compared to Petrosian's FS? Is it just the precision and depth of her edges?

I recall now that I think you were the one who said you dont care as much about ladies' skating so I understand.

I agree that Adeliia's personality is still vague, all Eteri girls seem extremely private like they are specifically trained for it. Except Akateva, she is very open and likeable - probably the most alongside Sintsyna. I think this is the main reason everybody just disregards Adeliia despite her skating.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This is the nature of the sport. There are no injury time outs and skaters are punished harshly by the scorers if they take a break to get their injury assessed, so they almost always jump back up and skate through incredible pain not knowing how badly they are injured or not.
And that's wrong. Period.

Caliban

On the Ice
1705846230605.jpg

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Maybe not, but she would have been fighting for something worth fighting for with a far bigger pay off. Her tech is extremely high. A couple of years would have scratched her PCSs and GoEs enough to challenge...unless you think she only has a single year in her? Lol.

I don't know if her tech wouls still be that high if she was skating for Armenia. A couple of years is enough to have another competitor who is the judges favourite and still lose despite PCS rising. And there many skaters who are proofs that your pcs can stay the same for 3 seasons even if you work.

She would have 10 years in front of her if she was skating for Armenia.

I give her 2 or 3 more years in top 3 in Russia, because the age rule change keeps the next gen away from her for that long. Longevity in Russia does not depend on the skater but on the field, unlike other coutries.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think her loyalty is with the people in her life, not with genetics or any country. Not everyone is running for acceptance of a crowd who will forget you 1 month after your retirement anyways. Its all fake.
Have you even meet Armenians?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know if her tech wouls still be that high if she was skating for Armenia. A couple of years is enough to have another competitor who is the judges favourite and still lose despite PCS rising. And there many skaters who are proofs that your pcs can stay the same for 3 seasons even if you work.

She would have 10 years in front of her if she was skating for Armenia.

I give her 2 or 3 more years in top 3 in Russia, because the age rule change keeps the next gen away from her for that long. Longevity in Russia does not depend on the skater but on the field, unlike other coutries.
I mean, look at Malinina's career. Look at Gubanova. That, and more, could have been Petrosyan's.

Skating91

Medalist
Its really interesting to me how few people seem to care about Petrosian, one way or the other at all.

I think it's because she's so small it doesn't feel like a fair fight (although Maia is really tall but she still has a lot of cyberbullies). Although in fairness she's not much smaller than a lot of skaters from Asia at that age (especially Japanese).

There's always been someone better than her at one aspect whether jumps, spins, gliding, musicality, performance components but that is starting to change because she's one of the only one's left standing. She's always been overshadowed up until now.

I thought last year would be her year at the Russian championships, but she had an injury going into the jump tournament then not 100% for the championship, but won the GP final easily 10 weeks later.

brakes

On the Ice
Its really interesting to me how few people seem to care about Petrosian, one way or the other at all.
Actually, she growing on me.
She got lambasted on sportsru when she supported Armenia in conflict against Azerbaijan year ago, but it turned my head - 15yo girl has courage to take a stance on political issue for her second homeland (her grandparents still live there). Few months ago she visited Armenia, gave nice exhibiltion and provided master class for local young skaters.
Other Russian skaters with non-Russian roots generally avoid accentuating it.