2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

R.D.

Record Breaker
Plus she is only 16. She has many years ahead if she can stay healthy. This is a very concerning result I hope she hasn't been pushed too hard too early. We don't like to see another Alysa Liu situation.
I don't think so, bad nights happen from time to time. Particularly if this is her first time having a rough skate on a stage like this.

If it becomes a pattern, though, different story.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The thing is that waiting for women skaters to live up to their full potential hasn’t worked for USFS either, but that’s just my opinion. The problems are deep. The international field isn’t even that strong right now.

Skating91

Medalist
The announcers seem completely clueless that the quad jumps from a banned country have been fueled by doping, which allows for more practice repetitions and quicker recovery. NBC should STOP insisting women from non-banned countries should "catch up" or are "lagging behind" women whose training practices are abusive and supported by dubious substances. This was obvious—and televised—at the last Olympics, and should not be encouraged by US sports media. IMO

This is not relevant to the thread. Just enjoy what Amber achieved there is no need to slander and spread rumours about an entire country where figure skating (gymnastics, ballet too) is a major sport for females.

If ice rinks were as common as basketball courts the US would have girls doing 4S+1Eu+4S combos too.

Amber is showing what females are capable even late in their career.

Well done to Amber. She earned a place at World's.

Edit. I thought the US only had one place for World's it's two. They will definitely send Isabeau as the second skater.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
You wouldn't wait to see how Ziegler does at 4CC? I think I would.
Ziegler can be a hot mess. I actually trust Glenn more than I trust her, which I think says a lot. She did win NHK and she won fair and square, but I think there’s too much stock being put into that one competition. I’ll be surprised if she’s anywhere near the podium at 4CC. I think she’ll end up top 10, but outside the top 5.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How old is Sarah?
She's age eligible, but I think the minimums are a problem. And while there's a chance to get them, I'm not sure she's quite ready.

A prodigious talent, to be sure, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her progress. She's certainly on a trajectory - junior 13 to senior 4th in a year - but a little more seasoning is in order.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ziegler can be a hot mess. I actually trust Glenn more than I trust her, which I think says a lot. She did win NHK and she won fair and square, but I think there’s too much stock being put into that one competition. I’ll be surprised if she’s anywhere near the podium at 4CC.
I hear you, but there's something to be said for rounding into form at just the right time.

It's only a week. I'd wait. If she skates lights out at 4CC... well that would be two big internationals in a row. And I don't think that can be dismissed. It might not be the deciding factor, but I'd wait.

cailuj365

On the Ice
Wow, such a difficult ending to the last group. Terry at one point shouting, "What is going on?!" like he can't believe that all of the airtime he devoted to Amber seizing the moment and the sizzling showdown with Isabeau hasn't come to fruition.

Good for Amber for landing the 3A and doing enough in the first half. The errors in the second half do all seem mental. I would really reconsider her layout and not put the difficult jumps and combo in the second half like that. Though she's a compelling skater to watch, she has a lot of work to do and she knows it.

This has been a tough season for Isabeau. I felt so sorry when she couldn't even watch the scores come up. I don't know if it's all just jump technique or more than that given the number of spin errors she's had all year too. She's a beautiful skater. She seems to be a bit of a perfectionist, so I hope this isn't mentally too damaging on her mindset and we see her back to her previous consistency and effervescence.

Josephine Lee reminded me of the Qween with that heart-on-her-sleeve joy. Best skate of the night. Can't wait to watch her for years to come.

Sarah Everhardt really came out of nowhere. I knew that there was a junior ladies' skater training at Ilia's rink, but I had no idea that the jumps were going to be that good. She actually reminds me of Ilia in a way. Great, big, airy jumps. Give some type of jump coach award to Malinina and Skorniakov. When the jumps are that stable, it's hard to miss. Surprised she doesn't have a more difficult 3-3 combo though (only 3T-3T in the SP). Needs to mature and work on choreography, expression, and posture, but all very doable over the next few years, and what she's starting with isn't bad.

Was actually a bit put off by Lindsay today. She also skates beautifully, but aside from the technical issues, her expressionless face makes it look like she has no actual interest in what she's doing.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
She's age eligible, but I think the minimums are a problem. And while there's a chance to get them, I'm not sure she's quite ready.

A prodigious talent, to be sure, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her progress. She's certainly on a trajectory - junior 13 to senior 4th in a year - but a little more seasoning is in order.
I could see them sending her out just to get a higher seasons' best since she is aging out of juniors, and her only senior outing was Cranberry Cup. She's clearly skating at a different level than she was then.

No matter what, I think this definitely puts her on the short list for a host spot at Skate America in the fall.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could see them sending her out just to get a higher seasons' best since she is aging out of juniors, and her only senior outing was Cranberry Cup. She's clearly skating at a different level than she was then.

No matter what, I think this definitely puts her on the short list for a host spot at Skate America in the fall.
A trip to Challenge Cup isn't the worst idea. Reward her with a near-term international while she's skating really well. Could do a lot for her confidence. Maybe she gets the minimums and takes the pressure off for next year.

I bet you're right about having a chance at a SkAm host spot.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The thing is that waiting for women skaters to live up to their full potential hasn’t worked for USFS either, but that’s just my opinion. The problems are deep. The international field isn’t even that strong right now.
To be honest I think of "potential" kind of like I see vaporware. It's not something tangible, and I have to wait to see whether it'll ever show up or not - it might, but then again, it might not. May as well focus only on what's available - that is, what's been done already.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not trying to dump on any skater, but to me, this was very unsatisfying.

Josephine gave a great skate, congrats to her on her podium placement.

Congrats to Sarah as well, for her pewter medal.

Amber.....once again, consistency is an issue there. I don't hold high hope for her World Championships placement.

Isabeau.....I'm not sure what happened to her. It's easy for me to say she shouldn't have felt pressure. I'm not an athlete competing on the National or World stage. In my mind, if Isabeau had seen Amber's performance, and known that Josephine was too young to qualify for Worlds, she should've relaxed and given a great skate. My opinion, I think Sarah should've had bronze, and Isabeau pewter.

Mild surprise to see Starr move up from 9th to 6th overall.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
To be honest I think of "potential" kind of like I see vaporware. It's not something tangible, and I have to wait to see whether it'll ever show up or not - it might, but then again, it might not. May as well focus only on what's available - that is, what's been done already.
Yeah, exactly, and with USFS, sometimes it has worked out with youth (Tara, Sarah, Kimmie). Other times, it worked out with veterans (Michelle, Kristi).

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Isabeau.....I'm not sure what happened to her. It's easy for me to say she shouldn't have felt pressure. I'm not an athlete competing on the National or World stage. In my mind, if Isabeau had seen Amber's performance, and known that Josephine was too young to qualify for Worlds, she should've relaxed and given a great skate. My opinion, I think Sarah should've had bronze, and Isabeau pewter.
There were signs during the Grand Prix already -- she fell out of a spin; fell on a combo & had trouble getting back into the program; poor showing (relative to earlier events) at the Grand Prix Final; etc.

At Nationals, you could see that she could not sustain an edge out of a jump and just sort of sat down, as if she had no power in her legs. Plus the spin issue in the short. It was unsettling to watch.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
There were signs during the Grand Prix already -- she fell out of a spin; fell on a combo & had trouble getting back into the program; poor showing (relative to earlier events) at the Grand Prix Final; etc.

At Nationals, you could see that she could not sustain an edge out of a jump and just sort of sat down, as if she had no power in her legs. Plus the spin issue in the short. It was unsettling to watch.
Even before that. I was at last season’s 4CC, where she skated kind of okay in the short, and withdrew mysteriously just before her group took the ice for the long program. No explanation was ever given, so far as I know.

It seemed strange then, and now, looking back, it seems to me that this may have been a sign of things to come.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States

twirlingblades

Medalist
Just speculating, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Isabeau’s spin issues are tied to her back issues that she has from jumping like that. Falling out of camels and laybacks- spins that require flexibility and a fully stretched back. Not to mention having no flow out of jumps and sitting down on them. Not a good sign for her longevity.