2023-24 Russian Challenge | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Challenge

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Agree to disagree on that. One thing about Frolova is the lightness of her jumps-she lands like a ballet dancer lands a leap or jump. I love athletic skaters, but Frolova gives us something different and beautiful.
Writing off the rest as athletic and opposed to Frolova supposedly being the "different" artistic girl is just not honest. Her landings are no lighter than Gushchinas shes just more consistent and she has no special exits or entries at all. By the way isnt lightness of a jump athleticism anyways? I just dont understand. She has no choreography, why are landings her indication of balleticism.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Medalist
The way they denied Konstantinova was rather harsh and cruel based off her telegram.

She says they told her everything about her skating was poor and they didnt want her there.

She says she understands criticisms and accepts everything they say about her; she wasnt particularly hysteric or unreasonable or combative or anything. She is clearly still very upset because her program was fun and positive and she was very excited to perform after a long time.

Its entirely possible that they made the right decision but I still feel bad for her.

Mathematician

Medalist
The right solution would have been to hold the competition later and select participants by video entries. Especially when they want to accept a contestant who doesn't even skate at all anymore, even in shows.
Yes exactly, it makes zero sense to accept a girl, have her fly to your arena with all anticipation and excitement, then after practice (the day before her performance) tell her that everything about her skating is bad and cut her out.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes exactly, it makes zero sense to accept a girl, have her fly to your arena with all anticipation and excitement, then after practice (the day before her performance) tell her that everything about her skating is bad and cut her out.

Its in St Petersburg where she from. I was wondering when I see her name on the entry list that it was a "hometown" pick (if I had the time I'd probably go comb through the others and see what the % is of skaters from St Petersburg). Because while she was a nice skater, she wasn't particularly memorable or win anything super impressive.

I do wish they'd do video auditions for people that have to apply before naming participants, but I do think some of the commentary I've read comes off a little overdramatic, this was a possibility to happen today was the audition and she didn't get picked.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Starting Order

1. Elizaveta Pasechnik/Dario Cirisano
2. Makar Ignatov
3. Elizaveta Shanaeva/Pavel Drozd
4. Roman Savosin
5. Ksenia Sinitsyna
6. Vasilisa Kaganovskaia/Maksim Nekrasov
7. Petr Gumennik
8. Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin
9. Sofia Muravieva
10. Evgeni Semenenko
11. Andrei Mozalev
12. Varvara Zhdanova/Timur Babaev-Smirnov
13. Daniil Samsonov
14. Anna Frolova

15. Aleksandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin
16. Dmitri Aliev
17. Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov
18. Mikhail Kolyada
19. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
20. Oksana Domnina/Maksim Shabalin
21. Maria Petrova/Aleksei Tikhonov
22. Mark Kondratiuk
23. Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov
24. Evgenia Medvedeva
25. Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov
26. Alexei Yagudin

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am so used to Russians already skating that I was surprised it's not on yet. I am still sore about Cirisano being locked in by RusFed, but I will cheer for him. Plus, Kaganovskay's new partnership! Cool.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Novice ice dancers Arina Novikova/Ilya Monopiants will skate an exhibition outside of the competition

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada