2014 Nebelhorn Trophy | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2014 Nebelhorn Trophy

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Is it just me or did the stream quality only become decent once the competition was over? :scratch:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like how Yuko makes sure to point her toes even when her partners tossing her around in a head bender. :laugh:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
My feed pretty much went to fuzz during Brooklee's program though, but her spin before the bow was gorgeous

bramweld

Record Breaker
Maybe because its early in the season but my favourite dancers today were the juniors Anna and Sergey. Of the seniors surprisingly I liked Chock and Bates best. Chock stands out, Evan still doesn't have a character on the ice. W/P's dance almost looks too difficult for them and sometimes it feels too much like their motions FD of two seasons past, go figure. Looking forward to seeing, C/L, Shibs and eventually all three Russian pairs:popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This thread has been terrific. :)

Thanks esp. to sequins for your play by play; to Mrs. P for information and analysis; .... and to Alex for EVERYTHING. :bow:

I'm looking forward to learning what was the reason for all those choreo deductions in the SDs.

IN's recap of the FD unfortunately sheds no light.

(I had hoped that IN would follow up b/c its SD recap said that the TC planned to give the skaters an explanation after the FD.)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Just watched ice dance competition.
I liked C/B but the their scores are too high IMO. I can't see why they won FD over W/P. W/P did okay, not much improving from last season, but solid as usual. And I didn't like their music, I mean it's great but the edition is a bit messy.
H/B have dissapointed me big time. I watched them closely last season, and I see no progress at all. And I think their FD looks a bit awkward and a bit slow. (Y/M have won FD at JGP Tallin with 92+ points. I know it's different event and level of competition but still it's telling numbers).

Edit: even if W/P are going to win WC this year, I guess it's safe to say that there will be no domination this season in ice dance. Every mistake, even small one, counts. The gap between top teams is almost non-existent.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Maybe because its early in the season but my favourite dancers today were the juniors Anna and Sergey. Of the seniors surprisingly I liked Chock and Bates best. Chock stands out, Evan still doesn't have a character on the ice. W/P's dance almost looks too difficult for them and sometimes it feels too much like their motions FD of two seasons past, go figure. Looking forward to seeing, C/L, Shibs and eventually all three Russian pairs:popcorn:

Their FD at Tallin was terrific. Not junior level at all, very mature too.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Anna and Sergey always had it in them. But now they train along side Lena and Ruslan everyday. I think we are seeing the results of that. My only concern is I want Sergey to skate on healthy knees. I would rather they not go the way of Domnina and Shabalin.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
"An American in Paris" is the music that Evan Bates had prepared to skate to with Emily Samuelson during the season that he got injured, then left her. I wonder how the program would have been different. Igor was their coach then too. Emily had such lovely lines.

flutzy13

On the Ice
"An American in Paris" is the music that Evan Bates had prepared to skate to with Emily Samuelson during the season that he got injured, then left her. I wonder how the program would have been different. Igor was their coach then too. Emily had such lovely lines.

I can't imagine a program that was constructed five years ago for a different team when scoring elements have changed in the interim would look anything like what C/B skated today despite the involvement of Evan and Igor. I seriously doubt they just reused the program or even the same music cuts.

Anyway I thought C/B were wonderful in both programs, less tentative and more crisp than W/P. I thought the gap should have been smaller on pcs in the FD (with w/p coming out ahead still) and with C/B ahead enough in the FD to pull put the win. Still this is ice dance and they are just now breaking into the top tier and are still waiting their turn as W/P did for many years. I'm pleased that the judges gave Madi and Evan the FD win and I think their scores especially their PCS will only go up from here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not particularly worried about Gracie. Considering that she's never been an early-season skater, she did very well by finishing 3rd here.

About W/P's FS: I'm a big Vivaldi lover, but I don't believe his music plays to their strengths. It's all about speed and tight rhythm and while they may be able to execute that well, their ability to relate to one another has always been their ace in the hole. That sort of gets lost in the shuffle....

tulosai

Record Breaker
My quick and blunt one-two sentence summaries of how these skates impressed me (or did not), leaving the technical aside.

Gracie: I felt nothing. Her smile during the spiral showed me she doesn't understand or else doesn't care what she's skating to.
Alena: Very surprised and impressed- my favorite long program of hers probably ever. If she keeps skating this well she will be in the Russia mix for assignments, though probably not Worlds.
Liza: Very happy for her, a well deserved win. Good to see her smile back.

Weaver/Poje: I felt nothing, sorry. It's pretty but wholly unremarkable. I was bored to tears.
Chock/Bates: I love these guys! Their lifts are truly fantastic.
Z/G: They remain my guilty pleasure team, what can I say. I really enjoyed watching them.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have just rewatched Gracie's LP. And I have to say: What the heck Lori and FC are thinking? Terrible choreoraphy and Gold didn't look happy out there either. She didn't seem to believe in the program herself. Why don't they see that Gracie is the atheltic type, not the pretty princess? Ogm and the music of the first half of her program has absolutely no connection to the choreoaphy at all. :unsure:

I felt exactly the same thing. I absolutely love Graice's music, and her dress, but the choreograph has not connection to the music, or it's because Gracie did not skate faithfully to the choreography. The music is overall in a medium to slow pace; you cannot have an entire program like that. As someone mentioned, it seems she does not believe in her program at all. By the way, I think she is back to her regular body, not as thin as pre Olympics.

Chock and Bates were great. I think Evan has become a more confident leader this year. They are building toward a more even partnership, while still displaying Madison's flair.