2014 Nebelhorn Trophy | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2014 Nebelhorn Trophy

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm not particularly worried about Gracie. Considering that she's never been an early-season skater, she did very well by finishing 3rd here.
I don't think a third place finish is that impressive - if you look at the rest of the entries, it was pretty much a given that these three would be the medalists, it's not like she was going to drop behind Brooklee Han and Mariah Bell. And I think the judges were kind to her with the PCS; Nichol has done such good work for Kostner, but her choreo for most other skaters these days is decidedly blah.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think a third place finish is that impressive - if you look at the rest of the entries, it was pretty much a given that these three would be the medalists, it's not like she was going to drop behind Brooklee Han and Mariah Bell. And I think the judges were kind to her with the PCS; Nichol has done such good work for Kostner, but her choreo for most other skaters these days is decidedly blah.
You forgot Sheherazade.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ that is a great program for Caro, it is just the dress is hideous, and she did not get enough time to fully actualized that.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You forgot Sheherazade.
I don't think it outweighs the excellent work that Nichol has done with Kostner over two Olympic cycles.

GF2445

Record Breaker
My quick and blunt one-two sentence summaries of how these skates impressed me (or did not), leaving the technical aside.

Weaver/Poje: I felt nothing, sorry. It's pretty but wholly unremarkable. I was bored to tears.

I disagree. Weaver and Poje were absolutely stunning and mesmerising. The different moods were captured very well. I love this vivaldis four seasons routine. Just shows how different opinions can be. Each to their own. Nobody is right when it comes to issues like this in the world of ice dance.

Also your use of hyperbole is absoultely wonderful. Bored to tears...classic.

humbaba

Final Flight
Chock and Bates were great. I think Evan has become a more confident leader this year. They are building toward a more even partnership, while still displaying Madison's flair.

I agree that Chock and Bates were wonderful. I loved their free dance. I also agree that Evan looks better. He looked great in the black costume. In the past Evan sometimes seemed to fade into the background. That didn't happen here. His whole presence was more authoritative and, if I dare say it, he reminded be a bit of Charlie White.

I loved Weaver and Poje's short dance. I liked their free, but it seems to be missing something. But it is very early and perhaps this is a program that just needs to marinate for a while.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree that Chock and Bates were wonderful. I loved their free dance. I also agree that Evan looks better. He looked great in the black costume. In the past Evan sometimes seemed to fade into the background. That didn't happen here. His whole presence was more authoritative and, if I dare say it, he reminded be a bit of Charlie White.

I loved Weaver and Poje's short dance. I liked their free, but it seems to be missing something. But it is very early and perhaps this is a program that just needs to marinate for a while.

weaver and poje look in trouble. They should have been far ahead of Chock and Bates who i predicted would rise but I don't really lke them that much. This might booster C and B's confidence more so they won the FD and were so close to W andP. C and Lshould be thinking they did the right thgt thing staying on They will be like Davis and White and V and m two gold world medals - maybe even 3 but C and B seem to be thejudges darlings. I was kind of hoping the Shibutanis would be USA no 1 as farfetched as that is and that one of the new Russian compilations would shock the world by rising to the top. But dreams like that are rare. It is early so who knows

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm going to say it now. Chock and Bates have a real shot at making the World podium with that FD. I would make them spend an hour each day working on matching their lines and extension, and I would totally rethink that first lift (which was both Western Unioned Telegraphed and had an entry that can only be described as Awkward As All Git Out). but you can SEE that they have been working their buttinksys off over the summer. That program has potential galore.

Evan though needs to be told that the paso is the male peacock dance. He's definitely lacking the authoritative presence in the short that he should have.

Still, wow. Good for them.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well i am not sure there is a politically proper way of doing it using pink if they used pink for guys that would be yet another stereotype. Let's be thrilled there is skating for us to enjoy lol :)

Plus it would be confusing. I suspect a lot of people would feel compelled (or need) to double check/glance a lot. I don't know if confusing people get getting volunteers yelled add really is making things better.

There are other options. Give blue to dance or pairs, have yellow and green for men and womens, the other of dance or pairs can be whatever. Mauve/magenta, orange of some sort, shades of purple, gray is wonderful I think.

Why does red have to be so bloody hard on the eyes Blue is a primary color, pink, is a weird color that people like to claim does not really exist. Really it is used likely more so because red would be kinda awkward and had to see/read. Pink, at least people call pink. Shades like mauve and teal, well you can lead to disagreements on. Teal clothing was the bane of my childhood, inevitably what I would call green my mother would call blue and vise versa. . . so many stupid arguments. I tried calling stuff teal and she still had to say "you mean green/blue". . . I can see not wanting any colors like that on stuff like this.

It would be kinda cute to use Red/Blue for mens/womans and purple for pairs or yellow/blue and green used the same way (red and yellow would work. . . but again eyes).

. . . this will be so much easier when we all start wearing google glass type devices and can used colors in the ultra-violet/infrared spectrum. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Anyone explains to me why the deduction about choreoraphy for the top 8? I haven't had a clue.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone explain to me why Jason Brown's coaches allow him to do the sprinkler during his SP? I almost died of second hand embarrassment for the sport. Don't get me wrong either...I see how talented Jason is and enjoy his FS but the way he hams up the SP just makes me :bang: Dude...you're way better than that. I just don't get it. I'd love to hear from people who enjoy this kind of thing and I ask kindly if you could explain it to me so I can maybe figure all of this out.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Can anyone explain to me why Jason Brown's coaches allow him to do the sprinkler during his SP? I almost died of second hand embarrassment for the sport. Don't get me wrong either...I see how talented Jason is and enjoy his FS but the way he hams up the SP just makes me :bang: Dude...you're way better than that. I just don't get it. I'd love to hear from people who enjoy this kind of thing and I ask kindly if you could explain it to me so I can maybe figure all of this out.

:laugh:
I agree. I like theatricality but the sprinkler move is just one step over the line of what I enjoy.
Well, someone must like it.... anyone?

TMC

Record Breaker

I'm the biggest Jason Brown stan on the planet and I hate that move as well. With a passion. I close my eyes when I know that it's coming. I suppose you either think it's cute or you hate it, and so far the latter seems to be the more popular opinion.

humbaba

Final Flight
I would totally rethink that first lift (which was both Western Unioned Telegraphed and had an entry that can only be described as Awkward As All Git Out).

Is that the one where he held her up like the statue of liberty? That was pretty impressive once Madi got up there, but they did take a month of Sundays getting into the lift. I'm hoping it's just early season caution and they'll be able to hide the preparation better after they've trained the program longer. Still, I'd rather see them be cautious than get hurt. The way he had hold of her skate made me a little nervous. I wanted to yell "Look out. That thing's sharp!"

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm the biggest Jason Brown stan on the planet and I hate that move as well. With a passion. I close my eyes when I know that it's coming. I suppose you either think it's cute or you hate it, and so far the latter seems to be the more popular opinion.

It's a move for Drunk People Who Can't Dance. It's such an obvious play for audience response I'm surprised he doesn't hold up an APPLAUSE sign during it. Rohene, Jason, darlings, you're better than this. Much better. :)

About W/P's FS: I'm a big Vivaldi lover, but I don't believe his music plays to their strengths. It's all about speed and tight rhythm and while they may be able to execute that well, their ability to relate to one another has always been their ace in the hole. That sort of gets lost in the shuffle....

I agree, chuckm. The more I watch their FD, the more that I like it...but I am a bit worried about it, tbh. They have some really lovely elements in that program, but I like them for their ability to relate and tell a story on the ice so well together; and I'm just not getting that with this FD.

I agree - maybe its getting lost in the shuffle or maybe it hasn't developed yet...but I'm not sold this program will take them where they want to go. It reminds me of some of their much older programs (& not in a good way).