Hey East Coast - I want my winter back! | Golden Skate

Hey East Coast - I want my winter back!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To those of you on the East Coast who seem to think you need to hog all the snow and cold weather - STOP IT! GIVE IT BACK! We need snow and cold for the Iron Dog (which is going on now) and the Iditarod (begins March 7). You can have it after both races are completed (mid March) but really you don't deserve to have it since you don't seem to be able to handle it properly! ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My son Ken thanks you for all the lovely powder snow he has had in Maine this season, but I am sure southeastern CT and Boston would be happy for you to send planes and trucks to remove their snow. :biggrin:

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
You're welcome to come to Boston and get all the snow you want. I sure don't need any of it. Or the cold. :biggrin: You can also have snow shipped to you for $89, which is what someone is actually doing.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To those of you on the East Coast who seem to think you need to hog all the snow and cold weather - STOP IT! GIVE IT BACK! We need snow and cold for the Iron Dog (which is going on now) and the Iditarod (begins March 7). You can have it after both races are completed (mid March) but really you don't deserve to have it since you don't seem to be able to handle it properly! ;)

Toni, you always seem to bring a new perspective. :laugh: :laugh: I say the East coast can keep all of their snow!!!

peg

Medalist

OMG! I've been so annoyed at the east coast for hoarding all the snow this winter!! I mean, didn't they learn to share in kindergarten? Out here, it has been such a miserable season for cross-country skiing, and if I don't get enough cross-country skiing, I'm cranky all year! :mad:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In East Central Pennsylvania, we are not getting the snow that New England is, but temps have been 20 degrees below average for a month. I like winter (I was married in a blizzard), but enough! Please come get it and take it to Alaska or Canada where it belongs!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't know if 20 degrees were Celsius or Fahrenheit. Anyway, here in Toronto we have some snow, but the worse part was the temperature that lingered between -5 C- the good one to - 20 Celsius. Even some water pipes were frozen. Don't think that this is Canada...LOL. Yes, most Canada is cold, but not Toronto GTA...this frigid February is the first one like this I ever experienced. All month with negative temperatures is unprecedented. Only this week we are supposed to get +1 Celsius.

peg

Medalist
I don't know if 20 degrees were Celsius or Fahrenheit. Anyway, here in Toronto we have some snow, but the worse part was the temperature that lingered between -5 C- the good one to - 20 Celsius. Even some water pipes were frozen. Don't think that this is Canada...LOL. Yes, most Canada is cold, but not Toronto GTA...this frigid February is the first one like this I ever experienced. All month with negative temperatures is unprecedented. Only this week we are supposed to get +1 Celsius.

Meanwhile, ski hills in the Canadian Rockies have been having trouble keeping enough snow cover on the ski runs. Apparently it's hard to make snow when it 10 to 16 Celcius above zero.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Had to run to the old Celsius-Fahrenheit converter.

Where I am in Pennsylvania, as we write, it is 20 degrees F (-7 C) and snowing. That is 20 degrees F below what the normal temperature would be for this time of year. And although we have not had New England's snow, because we have never ever gone above freezing, all the snow we have gotten is a big frozen glob of yuck.

Our ski resorts in our "mountains" (not really) are happy. I would be happy with 16 C (60 F). Woot!

peg

Medalist
Our ski resorts in our "mountains" (not really) are happy. I would be happy with 16 C (60 F). Woot!
Clearly you're not a skier ;)

I do cross-country, which is even more dependent on weather than downhill because they don't make snow for that. So you're completely dependent on Mother Nature providing sufficient snow and then keeping it cold enough not to melt (If it warms up and then re-freezes, it gets dangerous because it's pure ice and X-country skis don't give you the type of control that downhill skis do.) Needless to say, this winter has sucked, though at least where I am it's been a bit cooler than in the mountains.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Clearly you're not a skier ;)

I do cross-country, which is even more dependent on weather than downhill because they don't make snow for that. So you're completely dependent on Mother Nature providing sufficient snow and then keeping it cold enough not to melt (If it warms up and then re-freezes, it gets dangerous because it's pure ice and X-country skis don't give you the type of control that downhill skis do.) Needless to say, this winter has sucked, though at least where I am it's been a bit cooler than in the mountains.

Yes, I do feel bad for those where you *expect* this kind of weather, and you are quite right, I am not a skier. (although I have heard great things about cross country skiing). I usually run for exercise, since we are usually not covered in snow and going down to zero F every other night (the paper today said that it was the coldest February in 40 years and the coldest last two weeks of February ever. I should be able to remember the February 40 years ago, but I don't. :laugh2:) To go back to the thread, I wish I could send some of this to where it is expected!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, you always seem to bring a new perspective. :laugh: :laugh: I say the East coast can keep all of their snow!!!

:laugh: I try. It's been insane. Our winter never came. We had a few days of snow but it's been mainly rain. At this rate the Iditarod will be run with water skis not sleds!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope the dogs can swim ;)

Most Alaskan Huskies are not fans of water - especially moving water. It takes extensive training to get them to charge through it ha ha Most of the time the musher has to lead them (they'll do whatever mom/dad will do first).

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Toni I am shipping you lots and lots and lots of snow :laugh2:. We aren't really close to our all time snow of 117 inches, but I've still had enough. Last weekend we had another 6 inches and today we have freezing rain. We had an incredibly cold February of many nights of temps in the 0 to -17F range so the ground is really frozen. Rain is predicted and I'm afraid that will bring massive flooding.

Toni I was wondering if you will be attending Saint Paul Nationals? I met you in Saint Paul in 2008 when they hosted Nationals and was wondering if you were going again.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am in NYC and it's snowing AGAIN. We had 3-6 inches on Sunday and more expected for Thursday. This better be it!

peg

Medalist
Most Alaskan Huskies are not fans of water - especially moving water. It takes extensive training to get them to charge through it ha ha Most of the time the musher has to lead them (they'll do whatever mom/dad will do first).

That doesn't bode so well fr the Iditarod...