Can Chan be on the top again? | Golden Skate

Can Chan be on the top again?

Caustica

Final Flight
Oh, definitely. His content last year was similar to Denis's this year (except for not repeating 3A), and Denis would have won had he not made mistakes. It's just a matter of training, motivation and injuries.

AprilS

On the Ice
Top of what? The world podium? A grand prix? I think he could and probably will, at least a grand prix, but there are three other guys scoring similar to him now- so whether he'll win one of the remaining 2-3 world championships is a big who-knows-at-this-point :confused2: I think he can, but whether he will win another WC, could come down to a pulled muscle before the competition or something for all we know.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Of course he can lol its not like he was gone for 4 years. It depends on how the others do and we all know that ice is slippery, especially for the men :laugh:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
If he's clean, yes. But if he makes mistakes, I don't think the judges will hold him up like they used to.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
In the Olympic season, the edge some skaters had over Chan was the rising of their TES. If Patrick rises his technicals to compete with what Hanyu or Ten are capable of getting, then he can definitely be at the top again. He's still a 3-time World Champion whose SS are still over everyone else so the PCS will be there. Let's just hope that it doesn't become a matter of who the judges favor more.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Top group yes, but ON the top....probably not. He does have a good chance though.

MUALover

Rinkside
I think Chan needs to go work with Brian Orser. I think Orser is the only coach whose pupils have the perfect jumping technique.

ks777

Record Breaker
well, Does he still have the quad toe? how about his inconsistent 3axel? How hard was he training during his absence? I think it's going to come down to how fit he is and how consistent with his jumps. also he'd need a skating coach, not a dance coach.

samson

Medalist
I think Chan definitely can. None of the three medalists this year are necessarily any more consistent than Chan. I would love to see all four of them start pushing each other to deliver more consistently... of course that would also require clean bills of health.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think Chan needs to go work with Brian Orser. I think Orser is the only coach whose pupils have the perfect jumping technique.

His main students got their jumping techniques from their past coaches. He does a rather good job on polishing and improving them like for Nam's and Elizabet's. We can then judge him by how he manages his 3A boy (sorry forgot his name!)

Krunchii

Record Breaker

It's easy to suggest coaches for skaters like that but I don't think it'll happen. A high level skater like Patrick will need more focus on him and I doubt Orser would take him when his current students are 1st, 2nd and 5th in the World and probably require a lot of attention. Taking on another World Champion-worthy skater would probably be unfair to Patrick and to his current students.

He does need a skating coach though, he says he's returning with his coach who's name I don't even remember (that's how forgettable she is) but if he wants to be on top he's going to need to fix that 3A or add another quad and I doubt his current coach can do that for him.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Well, aside from the fact that his students got their jumps from their former coaches (except, IIRC, for Yuzuru's and Nam's 4S), having Hanyu, Fernandez, Nguyen and Chan training together :jaw: ....that would be an interesting picture. But Idk, I think there's only so many top skaters a coach can handle at the same time and I think Orser has got his hands pretty full now.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well, aside from the fact that his students got their jumps from their former coaches (except, IIRC, for Yuzuru's and Nam's 4S), having Hanyu, Fernandez, Nguyen and Chan training together :jaw: ....that would be an interesting picture.

Yuzuru got his 4S before Orser. The first time he did it was in 2012 during Ice shows where he landed a 4S-3A. He also has an unclear edge on his flip so not exactly perfect ;)

ks777

Record Breaker
It's easy to suggest coaches for skaters like that but I don't think it'll happen. A high level skater like Patrick will need more focus on him and I doubt Orser would take him when his current students are 1st, 2nd and 5th in the World and probably require a lot of attention. Taking on another World Champion-worthy skater would probably be unfair to Patrick and to his current students.

He does need a skating coach though, he says he's returning with his coach who's name I don't even remember (that's how forgettable she is) but if he wants to be on top he's going to need to fix that 3A or add another quad and I doubt his current coach can do that for him.

Is he going back to Kathy Johnson? the dance coach?

peg

Medalist
His main students got their jumping techniques from their past coaches. He does a rather good job on polishing and improving them like for Nam's and Elizabet's. We can then judge him by how he manages his 3A boy (sorry forgot his name!)

I could be misremembering, but I seem to recall that Nam actually had to rework his technique on some of his jumps after switching to Orser. Which would make sense, seeing as he came to Orser from Joanne McLeod, whose skaters have never been known for good technique.

Nonetheless, I don't think Orser would (or should) be taking on another top-level male. But at the very least, Patrick should consider getting some extra help for his jumps, especially the axel. And if he's training it, his 4S

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If he still doesn't have a technical coach, I'm not sure how he will fare after having been away from competition for a year. He will turn 25 in December, certainly not old, but getting back in competitive shape won't be quite as easy as it was when he was younger.

I don't see Orser taking on Chan, and for that matter, I don't see Chan taking on Orser as a coach either. While Orser could help him with his 3a, I doubt Chan would be willing to accept his advice.

Last edited:

Flaya

Match Penalty
I would love Chan to perform a clean program for once, he is the most overscored skater of this century.

Can he go back on top? Of course! The judges love him and he has one of the strongest federations backing him up all the time.

I know Hanyu can't do a clean program for the life of him either, but I find him technically superior and more entertaining.

Last edited: