Can Chan be on the top again? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Chan be on the top again?

Globetrotter

Medalist
PChiddy has the advantage that his basic skating is superb. He will probably only need some technical coaching on his 3A, his nemesis jump. Otherwise, I think PChiddy's main issue will really be to get into competition shape. I am pretty sure he is physically fit and skate ready but I doubt that he is competition ready. Unfortunately, the only way to be competition ready is to actually compete and skate under the stress of a real competition where he has to deliver under pressure. One way is to start off with some smaller competitions and work his way up the GP series gradually to be in time for ACC and Boston 2016. Somewhat like what Lisa Tuks had done in the 2014-25 season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Of course he can. I don't know why you are concerned about his ability. As long as he is healthy and determined, why not.

Esopian

Final Flight
Definitely! I think Chan is very capable of getting to the top again next season, it's just the matter of whether he can get into the training mode/shape again. His SS are superb and hopefully he'll work on the technical part a bit more in order to improve and match the other men of the current field. I know he does exhibitions like to Stars on Ice (+others), but that's different from competition.

Excited for his comeback and the drama that will come along with it! (I meant that in a good way) :biggrin:

dress

On the Ice
I think he is able to be on the top again, but he needs a good technical coach and to fix his jumps.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Of course. The only thing Hanyu has on him is a 4S, and it's not even consistent. Chan has better basics and, I must say, better taste in programs. I hope he can return in good form.

What Chan can't do anymore is dominate with messy programs as he did circa 2012. But given comparable performances by all the top skaters, he would probably come out ahead.

I'm shocked that I just wrote all this about Patrick Chan ;)

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu has only 4S on Chan ?

I think you forgot that Chan is not even doing 2x3A in LP, not even thinking doing it in combo,while Hanyu is doing 2x 3A-3 in 2nd half of LP ;)

Chan with his best FS scored 100 TES. Hanyu with everything landed , but with fall on UR 3lz scored 104 TES(which means there is couple points to add to TES). So if we take to count their layouts, Chan can't cover in PCS TES that Hanyu is capable of doing.

And I don't want to sound harsh, but... in my opinion Chan is least likely to skate strong at Worlds from the top boys

ps. I think there was already the same thread few weeks ago

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It all depends who is in the best competitive shape when the time comes.
Will Patrick raise his BV?
Will Hanyu be uninjured?
Hanyu was at his best when going against Patrick. Their rivalry drove the sport forward during 2014.
Yes, Patrick could be on top when he returns, but so could Hanyu, and if both of them falter, so could Fernandez and Ten.
It's a closer game now than before. Very exciting.
(I will cheer for Hanyu, of course.)

If we are talking only BV, Ten, Fernandez and Hanyu have a higher BV than Patrick's 2014 programs.

Who will be able to execute their plans best will decide who is on top.

Patrick may have a great edge over the others in SS, but what about all the other areas of PCS?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Of course. The only thing Hanyu has on him is a 4S, and it's not even consistent. Chan has better basics and, I must say, better taste in programs. I hope he can return in good form.

What Chan can't do anymore is dominate with messy programs as he did circa 2012. But given comparable performances by all the top skaters, he would probably come out ahead.

I'm shocked that I just wrote all this about Patrick Chan ;)

Then he would have won the Olympic LP. And even moreso, he would have won the GPF LP.

Which doesn't mean I don't think Chan won't be a gold medal contender when he comes back. He will be and I look forward to it. But the way the judges are scoring right now, between the top guys - Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten - all skating equally well, having the highest BV will be a major advantage, IMO. And therefor, Chan would need a 2nd 3A.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well I made simple summary

SS
1. Chan
2. Hanyu
3. D10
4. Javier

PCS
1. Chan
2. Hanyu
3. D10 ( maybe tied with Hanyu in some cases)
4. Javier

TES
1. Hanyu
2. D10/Javier / Chan (if judges are going to throw some love on GOEs like in TEB2013 :biggrin:)

Scoring potential
1. Hanyu
2. Chan
3. D10
4. Javier

So I would say, if all skates clean it will come down to Chan vs Hanyu. In others cases it will come to who will stay on their feet more :biggrin:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well I made simple summary

SS
1. Chan
2. Hanyu
3. D10
4. Javier

PCS
1. Chan
2. Hanyu
3. D10 ( maybe tied with Hanyu in some cases)
4. Javier

TES
1. Hanyu
2. D10/Javier / Chan (if judges are going to throw some love on GOEs like in TEB2013 :biggrin:)

Scoring potential
1. Hanyu
2. Chan
3. D10
4. Javier

So I would say, if all skates clean it will come down to Chan vs Hanyu. In others cases it will come to who will stay on their feet more :biggrin:

Poor Javi still not getting a lot of recognition. Hopefully he'll add a second quad in the SP next year and make it clear he can score as well as the others :cool: