Astakhova and Rogonov seize opportunities | Golden Skate

Astakhova and Rogonov seize opportunities

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nine months after teaming up, Russian pair skaters Kristina Astakhova and Alexei Rogonov found themselves debuting at the 2015 World Figure Skating Championships where they finished a respectable 10th. [More]

Folks in the skating community have expressed thoughts that Rogonov is too old and that Astakhova is nondescript. It will be interesting to see how they progress this upcoming season! What are your thoughts?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
“Although they are both experienced pair skaters, interestingly enough they needed a lot of time to gel as a team,” recalled Dmitriev. “They couldn’t do the pair elements together, like the lifts, the twist, and the throws. The jumps worked right away and they more or less learned the spins, but they couldn’t do other pair elements that should come easily for two months. I was surprised. I didn’t expect that.”

I think we underestimate how hard it is to for pairs to have to change technique to match up, when they form a new team. I liked this team, and it sounds like they have an attitude that will help them to more success!

Thank you for the nice article on this interesting new team!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sbs 3Loops, 3T+3T, throw quads... Things are definitely going to be interesting next season in Pairs, will all these couples attempting harder elements and V/T coming back! :popcorn:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I became a fan of them after worlds. I think they're very promising and can't wait to see them develop.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm a bit worried about them and hope they arent left out this season - there are many good pair teams, specially now that V/T are back.
Would love to see more of them, specially their awesome spins =D

LRK

Record Breaker
What an interesting article - thank you! It's always so fascinating to get a peek "behind the curtain", so to speak, and find out what really has been going on. I think they have come a long way in a short time, and it was interesting to learn what specific challenges they faced to get here. I'm looking forward to seeing their new programs next season.:)

Ah, too many good pairs in Russia... It's sad to think somebody deserving may be left out... But we will just have to wait and see what happens, I suppose...

moriel

Record Breaker
What an interesting article - thank you! It's always so fascinating to get a peek "behind the curtain", so to speak, and find out what really has been going on. I think they have come a long way in a short time, and it was interesting to learn what specific challenges they faced to get here. I'm looking forward to seeing their new programs next season.:)

Ah, too many good pairs in Russia... It's sad to think somebody deserving may be left out... But we will just have to wait and see what happens, I suppose...

Yeah :worried:
Same as ladies actually - Russia got like 5 great pairs right now =S
Hopefully A/R will get spotlight still, after all 10th at worlds is a big deal

moriel

Record Breaker
I believe they have stated their intention to return.

They have, and there were no retirment announcement, so most likely they will be back

*that moment that i wish worlds spots would be like this: top 10 from last year as an addition to the 1-3 spots / country that we have now (so top 10 would have it granted no matter what and then each country could send more 1-3 of their choice).
I want more A/R =D
with V/T, S/K, K/S and T/M out there, they probably wont be on many international compos =(
Kinda same stuff as with ladies, so many great ones at once =(

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, K/S already started working on new programs with Tchernyshev, I believe.

I don't think 26 years old is "too old" for a pairs skater...or any skater. If anything, I think it can be a driving force for Alexei to succeed now. And I don't find Kristina nondescript. Granted, she has an extremely charismatic partner, so it would be difficult for anyone to match that. But I think she has at least as much presence as Bazarova or Evgenia Tarasova...and she's only 18, so that can improve with time.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, K/S already started working on new programs with Tchernyshev, I believe.

I don't think 26 years old is "too old" for a pairs skater...or any skater. If anything, I think it can be a driving force for Alexei to succeed now. And I don't find Kristina nondescript. Granted, she has an extremely charismatic partner, so it would be difficult for anyone to match that. But I think she has at least as much presence as Bazarova or Evgenia Tarasova...and she's only 18, so that can improve with time.

Actually, I thought Kristina held her own very well. (I happened to rewatch some Rostelecom performances recent-lish-ly, and I didn't find her pale at all.)

humbaba

Final Flight
I find Astakhova very engaging. It sometimes does seems as though she can't decide whether to be a diva or a vamp, so she just does a little of both. :biggrin:
Still, it's normal for a young skater to struggle with finding his or her identity as a performer. It will be fun to see how this pair develops.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hadn't seen any of their performances yet; just watched their Long Program at Worlds, and wow! Their skating works so well together. She creates wonderful positions and he is very emotive. Pairs skating has become much deeper, it's great to see. Now if only we could get rid of unnecessary catch-foots in the lifts and unnecessary spin positions...