Adam Rippon reveals he is gay in SKATING Magazine article | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon reveals he is gay in SKATING Magazine article

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I'm so happy that he's decided to come out. So great for a new generation of young skaters to have such a positive role model to look to if they're questioning their sexuality! Go Adam!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The only thing that befuddles me a little is why he used past tense as in "I worked hard and I loved what I did."

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
And in other news the sky is blue and people like chocolate...these are things we know.

It's 2015...a male figure skater "coming out" as gay isn't really newsworthy anymore, especially when it was implicitly known by 99% of the community anyway...there was that 1% out there that completely missed the obvious but, oh well. Good for him for making it official but I'd be more shocked if someone out there thought he was straight.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And in other news the sky is blue and people like chocolate...these are things we know.

It's 2015...a male figure skater "coming out" as gay isn't really newsworthy anymore, especially when it was implicitly known by 99% of the community anyway...there was that 1% out there that completely missed the obvious but, oh well. Good for him for making it official but I'd be more shocked if someone out there thought he was straight.

thank you!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These reactions happen every time a skater has the courage to come out. There seem to be two approaches:

1. Why is this news? (as in, didn't we all know Adam was gay, wink wink nudge nudge). Well, I'm glad that the gaydar works so well for everyone on this forum, but that's not the point; the point is that Adam had the courage to say it.

2. Why is this news? (as in, I'm so gender preference blind, color blind and everything else blind, how could this possibly make any difference to me? Such a rational fan I am!) Because not everyone is as rational, color blind, gender blind and everything else blind as you.

3. Why is this news? In the US, it's news. Unfortunately. If you don't believe me, see how much news traffic Kim Davis has generated.

It's news.

kappa_1

On the Ice
I totally got what you mean, this is my opinion towards racist as well. I believe when one day, gay dont feel the need to "come out", just like colored people don't feel sensitivity towards any race related issues. That's when there is no discrimination against sexuality or race. The most important thing is not how others feel about it, it is how Youself feel about it.
it is not a big deal for me BTW:biggrin:

Sigh. I won't touch the race thing and derail the thread...but I will say I find your comment pretty dismissive and offensive.

Congrats, Adam!

Who knows why he "came out." Maybe, as someone said, he could serve as a good example for younger skaters going through their own struggles. I think a lot of other arguments have been explored, and I can see some merit in both sides, i.e. "no gay person/skater should come out because no straight person has to come out, we should treat it all matter of factly and so we can look forward" vs. "there is still a lot of progress to be made, there is still oppression and subjugation of gay people and their rights, even in the U.S."

We still think it's significant when baseball/football/basketball players come out, because those sports still athletes deeply in the closet. Should it "not be a big deal" if a pro NFL player comes out? Is that how we make things more normal? I'm not so sure.

Barb

Record Breaker
it would be more interesting a woman figure skater outing of closet. But I guess it won´t happen soon.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Guys, There is no need to attack people who are trying to be funny about this,
As long as it's not mean spirited of course, If anything i think Gay humour is appreciated in the Gay community,
Yes it's a struggle but i'm sure everybody here Supports Adam and thinks he's an awesome dude and skater ;)
Even though we now know his marriage to Wagner was a BIG FAT LIE!!

Hope he rides a wave of positivity all the way to Boston.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:points::hb:

margaret cho... little britain, modern family... even will & grace hehe :) and you know why humour is awesome here? simply because smiling is better than frowning. thanks for your post. and sorry you won't be going to that wedding ;)
Guys, There is no need to attack people who are trying to be funny about this,
As long as it's not mean spirited of course, If anything i think Gay humour is appreciated in the Gay community,
Yes it's a struggle but i'm sure everybody here Supports Adam and thinks he's an awesome dude and skater ;)
Even though we now know his marriage to Wagner was a BIG FAT LIE!!

Hope he rides a wave of positivity all the way to Boston.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I had two primary thoughts on this, based both on the news and the reaction to said news.

First was, way to go Adam. That took balls. I hope that this means US figure skating has reached a turning point where the inherent homophobia within the sport itself and the association is being eroded.

Second was to cringe at the long string of "duh", "the sky is blue" type reactions. Because that, that reminds me all too much of the awful way Ian Thorpe was treated, the way everyone would say "we KNOW he's lying, we KNOW he's gay", the constant attacks on him to reveal his sexuality. And all I could think was, "Why do you care so much? Does it matter? Does he become a slower swimmer because he's maybe gay or maybe straight? No! He's still a champion! Why is everyone hounding him about it? It's his business!"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nobody is hounding Adam.

No, I know, but...we shouldn't be so quick to react with, "Well everyone knows that". Because sometimes, everyone knows wrong, and the reaction goes over the top.

It doesn't change anything. He will still skate the same way. I'll still call his 4Lz<<. I'm glad that he's in a good place with it, because not everybody is. I just finished reading a John Curry book, and parts of it were like reading a horror story.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't understand why people on this forum are so bent out of shape about this. If Adam wanted to make a point with mentioning being gay to the media and feels good about it then who are we to judge? This is his point to make not some social injustice platform. It's not about whether or not we already knew, but instead about a beautiful skater that wants to share a part of himself. I think people need to quit being in such a hurry to tell others what they should think or feel. Just worry about your own issues not someone else's.:shrug:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
After much consideration, we have decided to re-open the thread, especially now that the source of the news, SKATING Magazine, is now available online:

http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A1uvwc/Oct.2015.SKATING/index.html

The article is on page 22.

The closure also allowed me to remove bickering and semantic/political discussion that was derailing the thread. Please do not do so with the re-opened thread. Those who do will receive a warning and/or infraction.

Carry on.

Warwick360

Medalist
Surely we've had this Thread already? (rhetorical btw)

And surely, this news is like saying the sky is blue on a clear day? Still doesn't explain why he goes for Quad Lutzes when he can't land then cleanly. Now that is something I would really want to know at the moment.

PS: the news site somewhere I saw in the past must be the only one that didn't see it coming when it was suggesting Ashley and Rippon were a couple. :disapp: