2024 World Championships Men's Short Program | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Men's Short Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly Jason does not look at the height of his abilities anymore. He was very good, no doubt, but not breathtaking. His scores seem over the top. I know he earned them over the years, but... for what he delivers now, it's too much.
This is a huge can of worms ;) all I will say is that Jason deserves all his scores if the judges are willing to give 9s to Ilia in PCS :)

babyskate

On the Ice
Honestly Jason does not look at the height of his abilities anymore. He was very good, no doubt, but not breathtaking. His scores seem over the top. I know he earned them over the years, but... for what he delivers now, it's too much.
In the arena, breathtaking is exactly what he was. He grabs your attention, you can't take your eyes off of him and his skating skills, choreography and musicality are just otherworldly. An enormous standing ovation says it all. Bigger response from the audience than from other skaters with more rotations.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
A medal is not realistic for Brown unless one of the top 3 has a total disaster or withdraws. Quads just get too many points and they are too far ahead. He could score ~185 with a perfect free skate like he had last year, for a realistic maximum of ~280.
If that happens, the skaters fighting over bronze will be Miura, Cha, Britschgi, etc., not Jason Brown.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have to agree about the long setup for the axel. I'm no skater and even I noticed it. It probably stood out more than for other skaters, because the rest of his performance was so dense in terms of content. IIRC, the 3A is not Jason's favourite jump?
Jason always stalked his 3A as young skater in his Riverdance days until he began training with Orser//Wilson where he worked hard to change his technique with that jump.. when he is nervous his body tends to revert to the first method I think. His best current 3A is glorious! Can’t remember the scoring on that jump in this event but he blew it out of the park with everything else. Way to go Jason!😻🌹

Andrina

Rinkside
I spent the night at a karaoke bar, so my impressions are based on protocols from skating scores.

I am happy to see that Shoma is first. It may not last but at least there is some hope for him winning the title.

Very proud of Lukas being the best-placed European man. That's a pity there is no medal for that 🤷‍♂️

I feel sorry for Adam but still cynically wonder if he's gonna pull out that backflip on Saturday.

Super happy for Denis being placed so high and looking forward to his new free program. I always watched the last one on mute.

Roman, my love, in the first dozen. I hope he'll stay there. I also hope scientists will find a way to clone him - we need more skaters like Romsky.

Luc and Donovan are my special guilty pleasures for Saturday night. Looking forward to enjoying their free programs.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just finished watching all the men, phew!

So happy for Shomajesty! :cheer:

Yuma, Ilia and Jason were total bosses!

But Boyang noooo 😭 I was so looking forward to seeing him have a fantastic competition, but alas...

Also Adam! He had such a great season up to this point! Poor guy. :(

And I'm bummed we won't see Cowboy Tomas in the Free, that FS deserves to be seen.

Buuuut Donovan going 3rd in the competition and ending up in the top 15, can we get hell yeeeeeah!

Finally good on Semen D for getting the Q! I remember him from Juniors, he did great!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Form GS ig interview: Dr V is not retiring. He is going to go back for training 4T and 3A and see how it goes.

Like seriously .... he aspires to master 3A & 4T? wow. That would be ... historical - he would become by far the oldest skater to learn those jumps I think! Actually I don't think it's out of question for him. But I think after learning those he'd land & rotate those rather occasionally at best, but still that would be huge and would make him much more competitive.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Like seriously .... he aspires to master 3A & 4T? wow. That would be ... historical - he would become by far the oldest skater to learn those jumps I think! Actually I don't think it's out of question for him. But I think after learning those he'd land & rotate those rather occasionally at best, but still that would be huge and would make him much more competitive.
He tried those some yesrs ago but almost never clean in competitions. Finland has "babies" growing and some of them have already 3a do to be able to get spots to big events in the future he needs more difficulty.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We waited 4 long years to see Shoma in Montreal, and it was worth the wait. He was absolutely mesmerizing. The stillness, his patience with his moves. He is my Rembrandt on ice. So happy for his well-deserved standing ovation. Looking forward to the free skate and seeing all these amazing men. The arena was on fire for the short, and I will definitely take my ear plugs for the free!

Last edited:

Olly96

Cats, bats & figure skating
On the Ice
Country
Estonia
Shoma lands on top! 🤩
You should have seen me screaming and jumping at work haha
That 4F running edge was just mesmerising and even my non-skating fan friend agreed his SP was amazing!

Yuma, Ilia, Lukas, Nikolaj and Deniss did so well, too!

Skating91

Medalist
I'm up to Nika. By far the best performance so far, the most complicated program, executed well, and fourth behind a skater without even a quad.

Appalling.

Skating91

Medalist
This judging is out of control. Nika with the 4th hardest technical content of the night and actually executed the content, but 14th by my quick count for PCS. It's absurd. Nika should be 4th, Lukas is 5th.

I thought Brown last year was really strong, but by his standards a some what empty performance. Same for Uno by his massively high standards. The PCS for that is out of control. One judge had the temerity to give him a 0 for a 4T-3T (I'm not sure he/she will be invuted back) where both jumps were short, but three of them gave +3 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. His flip we all know it's a cheated take off but all 4's except two 5's from the judges. Come on. Seriously?

Ilia and Kagiyama were great, but again the PCS for Kagiyama one judge giving a perfect 10.0. I guess I'm watching something else. It was a really solid performance, but not memorable. 10.0 to me is the epitome of skating like Valieva in 2021.

I really liked Ilia he has fun out there and connects to the audience in a way Kagiyama and especially Uno didn't. A real showman.

The astonishing thing about Ilia is he is relatively tall for a skater, disproportionate long legs, all things that make it much much harder than someone 158cm at age 26 like Uno yet such intricate skating and great speed. A real charismatic performer too.

Skating91

Medalist
Nika was so bland compared to so many. I would have him even lower. Being at the rink is very revealing.
I had a better view watching on TV. You're showing your bias when the 4th hardest program of the night and he executes ideally and you want to ding him even more. He should be 20th for PCS despite executing ideally the 4th most difficult program of the night?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a better view watching on TV. You're showing your bias when the 4th hardest program of the night and he executes ideally and you want to ding him even more. He should be 20th for PCS despite executing ideally the 4th most difficult program of the night?

Can you not consider that you are showing your bias, when someone who was *at the rink* takes the time to give their impressions of the skates?

But if it makes you feel better, I watched on TV. Nika was boring and pedestrian in his elements such as skating skills. "Difficulty" (which of course is far more than rotations in the air) does not have any influence on PCS. Or at least it shouldn't.

I'm sure he can do better, but his team is failing him. Perhaps with different coaching and choreo he could improve his skating.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Nika was so bland compared to so many. I would have him even lower. Being at the rink is very revealing.
I think Nika would actually be a good component skater. He has reasonable skating skills and musicality, imo, and very, very nice lines. But he is suffering from all the terrible (sometimes recycled) Danny G. programs throughout his career. If only we could see him skating something from a different choreographer.
ETA: although I confess the campy shirt ripping in his Roxaaaane is one of my guilty pleasures...

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
Cannot you not consider that you are showing your bias, when someone who was *at the rink* takes the time to give their impressions of the skates?

But if it makes you feel better, I watched on TV. Nika was boring and pedestrian in his elements such as skating skills. "Difficulty" (which of course is far more than rotations in the air) does not have any influence on PCS. Or at least it shouldn't.
It does though in every competition in the world. And it was a nice entertaining performance nothing to really criticise.

I disagree that anyone without a quad should ever be ahead of someone who can skate a reasonably solid program where there are multiple quads landed cleanly.

This would be like in the women's competition giving 9.75s to someone without a triple.

I'm sure he can do better, but his team is failing him. Perhaps with different coaching and choreo he could improve his skating.
Nika had the 4th most difficult technical content IN THE WORLD and executed it cleanly. He's clearly headed in the right direction.

Skating91

Medalist
I'm not even a Nika fan (his performance blew me away he was the best after 4.5 hours of watching it), but I watch all year Nastya and Inga get the treatment™, it's not something I should joke about it's not funny it's appalling. It might be just a coincidence it happens to the skaters of this federation. Maybe a coincidence. Wow. How unlucky. If not, what does it do to the mental health of these athletes when they are treated this particular way. Maybe the dignified quite beautiful blonde lady (not the one with the curly 80's hair the other one) could file a petition with the ISU.

I was supporting Misha and Ilia. Misha got a little bit of the treatment™, but it's not going to matter anyway. I just hope it's fair for Ilia tomorrow.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Nika is boring, his programs are horrible and pedestrian and his coach is a witch.

Having a difficult layout on paper means nothing if the execution is lacking. Jason manages to polish his content to such a degree that he can beat skaters with quads. I hope Deniss will go the same route in the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You know, I am a hardcore fan. I watched him both live and on tv. There's that. I am not dinging him. I am telling things the way they are.