2024 World Championships Women's Short Program | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Women's Short Program

16Olympics

On the Ice
Haien, and a number of other ladies are still in the running too. Isabeau has not been a favorite of mine, but I found her to be so lovely in this program. A great choice of music for Isabeau! Loena is deservedly ahead by a slight margin. If she brings it in the fp, Loena will give herself a great chance to prevail for her first World championship win! ✨

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
The women skated well. Congratulations 🥳 to all.

For all purpose Isabeau, Hae-in and Kaori are tied for second with less than a point separating them.
The free skate will be interesting.

Anyone can win , despite major mistakes by Amber and Mona Chiba they could medal. U can't count out Hana , Chaeyong, and Young . Mistakes happen anyone of the 4:can win Isabeau, Haein and Kaori and Loena.
Loena in control of whether she wins or not..

Personally I be happy if the competition ends in this manner of placement.

They all did well .

Congratulations all skaters. Look forward to free skate.🌹🎉💐🎊🥳

16Olympics

On the Ice
I agree that Haien is in the running and IF the top two are battling it out and are less than successful, Haien has a good day and comes out on top! Wouldn't that be exciting? I never underestimate anyone in the top 5.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Apart from Loena's technical problems, her skating skill is not an 8.75. And 9.04 composition for a program with trashy nightclub style cheoreography? Hell no.

Also Hana Yoshida was insanely underscored.

I have not seen the event, but in general Loena absolutely deserves high scores in skating skills. I am not a fan of her programs this season but I think this one is better than her free, but anyway whether it's trashy is taste and does not matter for composition.
Just in general she deserves 9s in skating skills in my eyes. There aren't many women with better ones in the whole field.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I didn’t comment much because I’m in the arena, but it was a very good event. Although I’m disappointed in Chiba, the Japanese ladies did okay overall. I was never expecting Yoshida to do masterfully in the short as the SP is such a problem. In fact, I was getting very worried after Chiba’s mistake on the lutz. I’ll take a 64 from her and taking the pesky 3A out of the SP was a good decision. And Sakamoto’s not infallible (she lost the SP to Yuna Aoki at Challenge Cup), especially when the pressure’s on. She was nervous from the start so being fourth may actually be a good thing for her. There’s more pressure on Hendrickx now than on her at this point. I think all three Japanese women will move up in the free.

Kim Chaeyeon was shafted. Her calls were deserved, but skaters higher up were given huge favors. Therefore, she was underscored. I thought she’ll be above You. But not above Lee, who I thought had the best performance of the night.

Hendrickx left me cold, although the arena went wild. Watching her live, I find myself very distracted by her jumps.

The arena was a little outraged by Schizas’ score, but I think that’s just patriotism talking. She barely squeaked out a 3-2 and stepped out of a 3Lo. The step out wasn’t clear during the performance on my side of the arena, but it was pretty damn clear on the replay. I knew she’ll score below 60. Her performance wasn’t that great, but it was definitely better than what she put out in the past.

GUTTED for Gubanova. Even more so than Chiba. I really hope she rallies in the free.

I thought Glenn would go clean in the SP, but I can’t say I’m disappointed or surprised that she did not. I am surprised (but maybe I shouldn’t be?) that Levito did better than her in the SP. At this point, I feel that Glenn was anchoring the team and Levito is saying otherwise.

Bro’s having a blast and I do believe we have a new figure skating fan in the midst. He knows nothing about figure skating (but I’m correcting that) and can’t pick Sakamoto out in a line-up yet on the way to the hotel, he asked me about next year’s Worlds. He’s pretty disgusted by falls and seems to have good intuition. When it was mentioned that Sakamoto was undefeated this season in the 6-minute warmup, he loudly exclaims, “well, she’s about to lose today!” I asked him who he liked the best and to my surprise, he says “Professor Lee” so we actually agree on that point. We absolutely don’t agree on Levito, but different strokes for different folks. I also couldn’t help being amused when he announced “that’s what Mia needed!” I believe after the Romanian skater. I wasn’t even keeping track, but he was. There’s other things he’s noted on his own without any input from me such as Glenn’s speed across the ice and Pinzarrone’s Biellmann spin.

Skating91

Medalist
When Loena skates the technical panel is obviously going for coffee break. No q on the 3F, no q on the 3T and no q or ! on the 3Lz. So unfair to the other skaters.
Loena tries her best and maximises her talent and opportunities in every way. I'm prefacing it saying nothing against her, but with her jump problems she had no business being so far ahead of someone like Haein Lee or even Isabeau.

Loena doesn't deserve a gold more than any other skater. They all work hard and sacrifice their entire lives for this. It's really clear what the expectations are from the ISU I guess for marketing and rebuilding the sport in places outside of Asia. The tech panel and judges seem to fall in line (controversial territory).

Just judge it on the merits.

Saying all that, if Haein Lee's form is for real and she can repeat her free skate from last year -- she's world champion. None of it will matter.

Still, someone like Kim should be much closer to the podium and an outside chance for the podium, but so far away and tomorrow will be harder for her.

It's not about disrespecting Loena by calling her underrotations or disrespecting Kaori by calling the wrong edge on the lutz, but it's about respecting ALL the other skaters who sacrifice everything for a chance to win. And then these tech panels and judges stack the cards in the favour of their opponents. Please...

macy

Record Breaker
Already home...

my take on this :

Korean women outdid the Japanese. I don't think anyone saw that coming considering the prediction threads.
Levito did much better than I expected. Will never be a fan of her jumps, but the rest of her skating is very nice.
Loena brought the house down. Her skating is true, clear and powerful. To me, she is the clear winner of the SP.
Haein's performance though was my favourite. Gosh, her skating is beautiful.
Kaori is still the best skater in the world. Unmatched skating skills and flow. But you cannot make two mistakes in a SP that tightly contested.
Niina did well but I think the judges put her there and her score held on but I think her placement is a tad high.
Maddie : too nervous. You could see it in her eyes. This performance to me is important. She didn't collapse and made it to the LP. I hope she can redeem herself.
Gubanova crumbled.
Very happy for Young You. It was nice to see her so satisfied after a few tough years.
Amber... sigh. It was going so well.
Hana has a lot of energy. Her skating is dynamic and refreshing.
Sad for Mone.... Damn it. that was frustrating.
Mia skated really well and deserved to be skating her LP.
Nina Povey : too bad she is a few tenths away from the LP at 29 years old.
great post! it always, always slips out from Amber's grasp, and it's always on jumps she can do in her sleep. it's so frustrating.
i thought Isabeau was ethereal, this SP was made for her. everything outside the jump technique was sublime. she floats like a feather.
Kaori proved herself to be human, but still by far the best skater here. i couldn't believe she pulled that combo off, everything about the first jump was setting her up for a 2T but she is SO well trained she was able to correct herself and pop off a huuuuuge 3T. the mark of a 2x world champ for sure.
i am so happy Haein and Young had great skates after lots of struggles, having both in the final group is awesome.
Loena was the clear winner to me. they definitely overlooked the q on her lutz, but she still would have won. the spins, choreo and maturity were fantastic. girl came to SKATE and she sold the whole thing.
i hope everyone holds it together for the FS. it's going to be really interesting and fun to see how it shakes out. i wonder if Kaori can pull herself up for the win, even if Loena is clean.

Skating91

Medalist
I didn’t comment much because I’m in the arena, but it was a very good event. Although I’m disappointed in Chiba, the Japanese ladies did okay overall. I was never expecting Yoshida to do masterfully in the short as the SP is such a problem. In fact, I was getting very worried after Chiba’s mistake on the lutz. I’ll take a 64 from her and taking the pesky 3A out of the SP was a good decision. And Sakamoto’s not infallible (she lost the SP to Yuna Aoki at Challenge Cup), especially when the pressure’s on. She was nervous from the start so being fourth may actually be a good thing for her. There’s more pressure on Hendrickx now than on her at this point. I think all three Japanese women will move up in the free.

Kim Chaeyeon was shafted. Her calls were deserved, but skaters higher up were given huge favors. Therefore, she was underscored. I thought she’ll be above You. But not above Lee, who I thought had the best performance of the night.
Agreed.

Kim they shafted throughout juniors last season and now this year in seasons. I think she's great.

I agree about Lee too she was the cleanest of the top contenders and it was a great performance. From nowhere. I thought she was finished. There was not a flicker of hope all season, and I think she can take it out tomorrow now.

Hendrickx left me cold, although the arena went wild. Watching her live, I find myself very distracted by her jumps.
I don't like the program. Up until she completes the jumps it's really chaotic no cohesion, waving her arms and kicking her legs out of sync. For the last 60 seconds she does a great job selling it.

The arena was a little outraged by Schizas’ score, but I think that’s just patriotism talking. She barely squeaked out a 3-2 and stepped out of a 3Lo. The step out wasn’t clear during the performance on my side of the arena, but it was pretty damn clear on the replay. I knew she’ll score below 60. Her performance wasn’t that great, but it was definitely better than what she put out in the past.
Yeah, Schizas had an unclear edge on the 3Lz (don't know if they dinged her), wobbly landing, then a messy landing on the 3Lo. The program lacked energy, no real connection to the music. I think they gave her a bad program that doesn't suit her.

Same problem with Kurakova's program it lacked energy, didn't suit her, she wasn't into it. I know she wants to do new images, but it seems like she wasn't completely into it.

GUTTED for Gubanova. Even more so than Chiba. I really hope she rallies in the free.

I thought Glenn would go clean in the SP, but I can’t say I’m disappointed or surprised that she did not. I am surprised (but maybe I shouldn’t be?) that Levito did better than her in the SP. At this point, I feel that Glenn was anchoring the team and Levito is saying otherwise.
Gubanova was on track for a solid performance until not completing the combo. It's a shame.

Glenn you never know with her. She might risk it all tomorrow and it comes off. I can never predict her.

Janice4th

On the Ice
Really enjoyed the women’s skating. I am prefacing this by saying I have no issue with the order. Just an observation. Loena looked clunky after that flowing skate by Isabeau. I know Levito isn’t going to get those extra marks because of her speed, but her style of skating is my favorite. And isn’t Kaori just a delight? I love her skating, too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm quite late to the party but, I wanted to say how thrilled I was for Isabeau. After her struggles and losing her title and Nationals, I thought it might have gotten into her head. She looked confident and beautiful. I hope she has a perfect FP no matter where she places. So proud of her.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great score for Amber. The judges are generous.
Amber skates like a world champion in practices. She was fantastic in practice at Nationals and has been fantastic in practice at Worlds. The judges watch practices and know what she is really capable of. I really wish her practice skates would translate to competition. Her career best long programs have followed disappointing short programs, so I am really hoping she lays down a clean skate tomorrow.

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
I am perfectly in time for final group.Love to see it.
Let's see it

SXTN

Final Flight
And patronizingly telling others how to behave is not childish? Then spare me from any discussion with you, please.

Upd. I see you edited your comment, so my reply is now confusing. Childish, isn't it?
It was about the judging at this event. There is no need to bring other skaters into play because it is nothing personal against the skaters, but against the tech panel and judges who fail to do their job with some skaters now and some skaters of the past.

You were only bringing this up because you wanted to fight with Skating91 like in other threads.

Joekaz

On the Ice
haein was amazing. such a powerful stsq
Its so nice watching a woman skate with graceful fluid coordinated movements of her whole body. She should be in first place. I'm so tired of the judges rewarding skaters with stiff backs, poor posture and uncoordinated upper body movements the last few years.

DLong

Rinkside
I finally had a chance to watch the ladies short program. I am so happy for Isabeau. What an absolutely beautiful program. :love: It was definitely my favorite of the day. She just floats across the ice. It was wonderful to see her skate so well. I hope she skates just as clean in the free skate. :pray:
Of the three Japanese women Mone has the best short program. She skated it perfectly at Four Continents. I love the music, program and her costume. Hana has the best expression. She looks like she is really enjoying herself. I don't care for her music or costume, but she sells her program. :giggle: Kaori is so talented, but I don't think her short program fits her. I like the music and costume though.
I have never been a fan of the one piece pantsuit costumes, but Anastasiia looks stunning in hers. :love: She is just so elegant and classy and I really enjoy her skating. I was so disappointed for her as her program was going well until the end. I hope she will come back strong in the free.
I believe Loena could sell anything. She has the two worst programs of anyone this year, but she can certainly perform. (y)I really dislike this program. For me it's just incredibly tacky. I hate the music, the flirting with the judges, the choreography, the over the top makeup, and club costume. Plus she made mistakes today. I'm certainly not a technical expert, but I thought they were obvious mistakes. I think the PCS score was fine, but the TES was too high. I'm fine with the results though. I'm not looking forward to seeing the same program again tomorrow.
Haein had a very nice skate. Her music is annoying, but she skated so well. Chaeyeon skated through her music instead of skating to it. She looked like she was out there doing her job, but didn't really enjoy it. I didn't get to see Young You's skate as they only showed a very small part. However, I always thought she was the most expressive skater of the three Korean women here. I love Amber's free skate, but I didn't like Amber's short program until today. She skated so well and was so good until that one mistake. I do hope she moves up in the free.:pray:
This was a very good Ladies short program. I enjoyed so many the the skaters. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I couldn't follow everything live yesterday, so I watched the last groups straight away this morning.

What can I say, I'm so incredibly proud of my beloved Haein's performance and that she brought back her wonderful Sirens. This season I was able to visit a figure skating competition live for the very first time - GP France. Watching Haein live is simply even more beautiful than on TV, magic. You can't take your eyes off her. I am so jealous of you, @4everchan that you were able to see Haein in best shape with Sirens. I was so devasted for her for not making the podium in France... And now she has a small medal. Wow, so happy.

Loena, what a power program that was! What charisma, energy and self-confidence. I absolutely loved her. And she holds the European flag high. An absolute highlight.

Kaori, never write her off too soon...

Looking forward to the free skates :clap:
ITA. Seeing live is incredible....and I have seen a few legends since 2002. I am glad I got to see Haein with my friend PaulE live at four conts 2023. Yelim and Chaeyeon too. And the wonderful Korean fans who talked with me and filled me with Korean treats....

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
haein was amazing. such a powerful stsq
I would have Haein in first on my scorecard in the short program followed by Leona in second and Isabeau in third. I expect Kaori to come out in attack mode tonight with a clean skate and if she does that, then she should win. If Amber can come out and have her best skate ever with all her planned content, she could win bronze. I can dream and my dream podium would be Sakamoto, Lee and Glenn!❤️

Last edited: