Jimmy Kimmel jokes about Kristi Yamaguchi | Golden Skate

Jimmy Kimmel jokes about Kristi Yamaguchi

yuzushenko

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q6_3vzblw

so if you watch that link, RDJ says he rubbed shoulders with kristi at a hall of fame thing. he said he was the only one to have served time to be in the hall of fame and then kimmel says something about kristi having served for credit card fraud or something at one point?

i tried googling information about this but i couldn't find anything. im not sure if this is the right section but i just wanted to know.

Kristi covered it up so well that only two people in the word know about it -- Jimmy Kimmel and Robert Downey Jr. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q6_3vzblw

so if you watch that link, RDJ says he rubbed shoulders with kristi at a hall of fame thing. he said he was the only one to have served time to be in the hall of fame and then kimmel says something about kristi having served for credit card fraud or something at one point?

i tried googling information about this but i couldn't find anything. im not sure if this is the right section but i just wanted to know.

Jimmy Kimmel is a COMEDIAN -- who was making a JOKE, and Robert Downey, Jr., who already was being humorous as well, played along.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've never heard of this. I don't understand why Kimmel tossed the topic like that. :sarcasm:

I've never heard of this. I don't understand why Kimmel tossed the topic like that. :sarcasm:

I think the basis of the joke was that Kristi Yamaguchi would be the last person that anyone would think might do something wrong, and since she was just mentioned, the two buffos thought it would make a funny rif.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think the basis of the joke was that Kristi Yamaguchi would be the last person that anyone would think might do something wrong, and since she was just mentioned, the two buffos thought it would make a funny rif.

That joke doesn't sound funny at all to me. On the other hand, I'm just relieved to hear your explanation, considering Debi Thomas' current situation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

:agree:. Yes, exactly.

For those who don't know:

Kristi really was inducted into the California Hall of Fame recently. A very nice honor for her.

(Besides Robert Downey, Jr., another fellow inductee was Lester Holt, anchor of NBC Nightly News.)

RDJ really did serve quite a long sentence -- for a drug-related conviction, IIRC.
He made mention in a humorous way of his real incarceration -- so as comedic banter, Kimmel made a joke about Yamaguchi. And continuing the comedic banter, RDJ made another joke in return.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
But should the misleading title be modified to inform that the joke doesn't have any real fact?

yuzushenko

On the Ice
yeah im not stupid, i know it was joke and that they're comedians but jokes are usually founded on some sort of truth or at least in this case i thought that it wouldn't be so weird to joke about another person having gone to jail like that. i don't know too much about kristi so i didn't know if that was just part of her history that i was too young to know about or if the joke was founded on any bit of truth.

the whole "she's the last person you'd expect to serve time" thing, well yeah that joke doesn't seem too funny lol. i mean i dont know, i know kristi is awesome but i didn't know she was like america's sweetheart at some point.

like if they had made the joke about meryl davis i totally would have gotten it cuz duh meryl is a saint.

but i guess it was just a generation gap thing so i wasn't sure if he was basing it off of a true story or what. (as a teenager born in the 90s, i know of tonya harding and what not so i wouldn't have been so surprised to hear something like 'oh so and so was involved in credit fraud') or like there was a misunderstanding and they thought it was kristi's fault but it wasn't or something like that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's one very not funny joke. In the UK, Kimmel might get sued for slander, I suspect, for that one.

In fact, I am not even sure it works in the US.

...kristi is awesome but i didn't know she was like america's sweetheart at some point.

Yeah, she was and is. :laugh: In the first place, back in the day figure skaters generally were "America's sweethearts" (Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill). Plus, Kristi's post-skating career has focused on activities like her childhood reading projects. I mean, this is the image that us old-tiners have of Kristi today.

http://www.diablomag.com/July-2011/Best-of-the-East-Bay-2011-Kids-and-Parenting/

dorispuloski said:
That's one very not funny joke. In the UK, Kimmel might get sued for slander, I suspect, for that one.

In fact, I am not even sure it works in the US.

It seems like in the U.S. comedians are given a wide berth. Donald Trump tried (unsuccessfully) to sue political satirist Bill Maher for claiming that Trump's biological father was an orangutan. (Maher had the pictures to prove it. :laugh: )

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
While it wasn't exactly the nicest thing to do, I truly believe that it was nothing more than a harmless joke. Kimmel's show is based upon that - just a few months ago, he made fun of YouTube gamers, two of whom met with him and filmed a funny segment of them making fun of him as they all played games together. While the topic wasn't the best, I'm sure Jimmy and RDJ meant nothing by it. Most late night shows do that to celebrities and none get exceptionally angry.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was a dark part of RDJ's career/life. Kimmel like any other host tried to make light of it to stay positive. Saying something ridiculous is a way to do that. It wont hurt Kristi's career so I doubt anyone in her camp much cares.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hey, Toni. Great avatar!

Thanks! It's a pic I took of Iditarod Champion, Reef, lead dog for Dallas Seavey's winning team last year. He's little but he's mighty (the dog... well, Dallas isn't all that tall/big either)