Who is watching on NBC?! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who is watching on NBC?!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Johnny still on a roll! "Definitely a performance [Ashley] will look back on from YouTube, and have to learn from."

This was after the gang talked about how Ashley wanted to skate a program that fans will want to see on YouTube in the future.

desertskates

Medalist
I finally figured out what bugs me about Courtney's dress. It's not the yellow opaque color, but the mesh parts make the skin look jaundiced :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Courtney's injury from a few years ago. But I don't remember her having a UR problem prior to that? :scratch:

I think he was thinking of Samantha Cesario?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Johnny still on a roll! "Definitely a performance [Ashley] will look back on from YouTube, and have to learn from."

This was after the gang talked about how Ashley wanted to skate a program that fans will want to see on YouTube in the future.

:rofl2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just can't get on board with Satoko's FS this year. I don't understand how it scored over 200pts. :shocked:

Her jumps look better though :yes:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for reminding me that NBC will have no figure skating for 3 weeks.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lol the Mirai comment about skating for herself because audience was crickets. Omg

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Their not showing ice dance or pairs? Okay...

Universal showed 2 hours of strictly Pairs and Ice Dance just before NBC coverage started.

Lol the Mirai comment about skating for herself because audience was crickets. Omg

Johnny was saucy today! I found it hysterical, but I could see how some folks could be peeved.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I finally figured out what bugs me about Courtney's dress. It's not the yellow opaque color, but the mesh parts make the skin look jaundiced :slink:

I agree, this dress is total miss for me. I love her though and it's always nice to see another skater coming into their own.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Universal showed 2 hours of strictly Pairs and Ice Dance just before NBC coverage started.

I don't have cable. :/

It would have been nice to get a mention in the Network broadcast, especially since we had three teams that qualified for GPF.

By the way, Baby P was more engaged with the informercial that followed NBC coverage than the Ladies free skate.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't have cable. :/

It would have been nice to get a mention in the Network broadcast, especially since we had three teams that qualified for GPF.

By the way, Baby P was more engaged with the informercial that followed NBC coverage than the Ladies free skate.

Agree that it would have been nice for the NBC "broadcast telecast" (as opposed to cablecast) to show excerpts of the Shibs or at least to mention their win.

I love Ashley, and I know that it's in NBC's interest to focus on her b/c she's going to the final ... but I felt a little weird also that none of the brief interview time was spent with Courtney, who not only won her first GP medal, but also outplaced a former world champion and the reigning U.S. champion.

Anyway, congratulations to Satoko :luv17:, Courtney, and Mao :).
Hugs to Ashley. And a high-five for Mirai.

samson

Medalist
I have to say as a Mirai fan I felt vindicated when Tara said she would have given Mirai the triple/triple. I feel like there are plenty of skaters w/o her reputation that would have gotten both triple/triples ratified but I always get nervous that maybe my bias is too strong hahah.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Johnny was saucy today! I found it hysterical, but I could see how some folks could be peeved.

I love saucy Johnny! And I'm glad he's hard on the Americans because, as one, I'm not thrilled with most of our skaters either. I don't know about the "viral" comment but I do think many of them spend an inordinate amount of time coloring their hair.

Really sorry I missed this. :laugh:

slider11

Medalist
I think Johnny is trying to be the modern-day Dick Button...but he's not succeeding. Johnny would like Dick's fame but wants to achieve it in his own way. Dick could be honest, even critical of skaters deficiencies but managed to do it in an articulate and sometimes humorous way. I know times have changed but sarcasm and digs get old quickly. Where Dick used to shine is how he would focus on a skaters strengths and let the viewer know why Janet Lynn's or Michelle Kwan's skating was so beautiful. Johnny's over-gushing of Russian skaters shows but he doesn't really explain why we should share in the gush. NBC's efforts to get edgy and hip is starting to wear on figure skating fans. It is very sad that dance and pairs get left behind on NBC. Hopefully they'll show all 4 disciplines in the GpF.

liv

Record Breaker
I don't mind saucy Johnny, most of the time. I didn't notice the saucy part today, actually. I disliked him intensely when they first started years ago, so either he's toned it down, or I've become immune. Who knows. I think I'd love to have an after competition drink (or 2 ) at the bar with him to find out what he "really" thought, LOL.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My problem with Johnny's comments today that they were just off base. I agree that the us men aren't at the top of their game, but insulating that they are not successful because they are not working hard enough because they "are trying to go viral" was just untrue. Tara's comment about the men struggling I quads was much more appropriate.

Last edited: