2016 Skate Detroit | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Detroit

Arianne

On the Ice
Skate Detroit takes place at the Detroit Skating Club during the week of July 19-23. This is a free event for spectators and usually includes many high level skaters. Feel free to post names of skaters confirmed for this event!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The tentative schedule is now available: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=338. The event starts on July 19 but the competitions don't start until early morning July 20. I updated the link for the schedule on June 15.

Sylvia has posted some of the skaters on FSU in Great Skate Debate so here are some of names: U. S. Senior Men: Alexander Johnson, Tim Dolensky, D. Kulenkamp, A. Boucher, Chase Belmontes. Canadian Senior Men: N. Nadeau, Keegan Messing; Toman, Sadovsky plus many more Canadian Jr. Men.

U. S. Senior Pairs: Calalang/Sidhu, Smith/Reiss, J. Pfund/Santillan, Denney,Haven/Frazier, Liu/Johnson. There are a lot of pairs this year (this is only some of the skaters) and a lot more Junior Pairs also. Should be an awesome competition.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Wow, those rosters are impressive! Hope we can get some video. According to Unseen Skaters, Mirai Nagasu and Bradie Tennell are also competing at this event.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am excited to see Denney/Frazier like OMG or at least, uh, hear how they do :p I've also heard Mirai will be there but not sure it's true or not...

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A friend who has attended Skate Detroit and taken lots of video's won't be attending this year :(. Last year, for the first time, free live streaming was offered. I haven't noticed anything on DSC website or FB page about live streaming, so I sent the a message on FB and asked about it. If I get any info I will post it.

I am excited to see Denney/Frazier like OMG or at least, uh, hear how they do :p I've also heard Mirai will be there but not sure it's true or not...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Last year, for the first time, free live streaming was offered. I haven't noticed anything on DSC website or FB page about live streaming, so I sent the a message on FB and asked about it. If I get any info I will post it.

Not a guarantee re live streaming, but a reason to be hopeful is that ProEventPhoto is the provider of video services at this year's Skate Detroit.

ProEventPhoto was the source of the streaming of last year's Skate Detroit.
And PEP was the source of live streaming of the 2016 Broadmoor Open and Aerial Challenge.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I haven't heard anything about the streaming...may call DSC and ask. Mirai is in Canada working with Jeff Buttle on her SP. Her FS was choreographed by David Wilson. I was hoping to see Mirai at Skate Detroit but am now thinking she probably won't be there. It isn't unusual for skaters to withdraw because programs aren't ready, and she is now down to 13 days until the event and still working on the SP.

I still hope to see her, but I probably won't :(.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I called DSC this morning to inquire about the live streaming. I was told that the office did not have information about whether the streaming was going to happen or not. Towards the end of this week I'll call again to see if any info is available.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm excited that Mirai will be competing. I was concerned that she would withdraw since she just finished with her choreographers. I'm going to try really hard to see both her programs. I plan to see as much as I can of Skate Detroit but unfortunately will miss Saturday entirely due a schedule conflict :(

stella luna

Final Flight
I'm excited that Mirai will be competing. I was concerned that she would withdraw since she just finished with her choreographers. I'm going to try really hard to see both her programs. I plan to see as much as I can of Skate Detroit but unfortunately will miss Saturday entirely due a schedule conflict :(

I am excited and curious about her music. For the short, they had me at Chopin. For the long, the stripped-down version of ABBA song has the potential of being an empowering anthem on ice, though I will miss ABBA's harmonies and beats. It will be interesting to hear the piano interlude David Wilson added.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks so much Ice Coverage. I'm rushing around trying to get things together for my trip to DSC and another event next Saturday and I kept thinking I would have to look for those links. Thanks so much for posting them!!!! Go Mirai!

I should have added above that the proeventphoto.com home page now easily leads to the links for Skate Detroit streaming.
So in a pinch, remembering the home page URL will do the trick.

Thx for getting us excited about the comp :). Have a great trip.

Complete list of competitors is at first link below.

The list was provided by DSC and published by IFS. Same page shows times of competition segments.

Thank you for these links. I can never find anything on the Detroit Figure Skating club site. :cry:

Stunning pose by Mirai in the picture.

So, in ladies, is this the Mirai show, or are there some on the list that can score up there with her?

samson

Medalist
Thank you for these links. I can never find anything on the Detroit Figure Skating club site. :cry:

So, in ladies, is this the Mirai show, or are there some on the list that can score up there with her?

I would say the only skater that might challenge her here is Bradie Tennell. Mirai's programs are pretty much brand spanking new so there's no telling if the triple jumps are even fully integrated into them yet and Bradie showed a lot of promise at Nationals. Otherwise it looks like a relatively clear path for Mirai here.

Also I agree a stunning photo. I'm surprised I haven't seen it before.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am interested in seeing how Stephen Gogolev does in a junior competition. He has a fairly reliable 3A and has landed quads but for the first time he is skating against competitors who may also have those jumps in their arsenal. He is also up against skaters that could be considerably older than him (he is only 11.)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can never find anything on the DSC website either. Since they started using the new registration system it is possible to find some of the competitors. I loved the Mirai pose. Her SP to Demons last year moved me to tears! I do think Mirai's choreography is brand new so I'm not sure she is really competition ready. I also have my eye on Emily Chan from Dallas. Emily is good presentation but needs to up her jump content. I'll be heading over this afternoon to see some of the Jr. ladies and then the Senior ladies. It will be interesting to see Brandie Tennell again. See did fairly well at Nationals, but to me she is still very much a Jr.