Extraordinary and unconventional programs | Golden Skate

Extraordinary and unconventional programs

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Let's talk about your favorite programs that you consider extraordinary and unconventional or really weird because of their choreography, music choice, music edits, costumes or others.

I think Alexander Zhulin's choreography for Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman's 2001/02 LP is in this criteria. Every choreographic moves are creative and exciting to watch and right with Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" music except the strange opening and another move related to John's hand in the middle of the program.

I don't get why John's gigantic hand had to be on the crown of the Kyoko's small head and swirled her head with his hand. It may depict a vulnerable human awaken from a profound abyss by God though. Aside from the hand gestures, I love the music, its edits, general choreography and their eye-catching costumes; one is in a rock'n roll metallic diva costume, and the other is a simple but chic black shiny leather outfit. I hope to see more programs to the music, especially from male skaters. Ashley Wagner performed to the music during the 2013-14 season, but the music cuts are not my taste. I think Zhulin's choreography for singles is a hit or miss, but this one surely excited the audience at that time.

Ina & Zimmerman (USA) - 2002 World Figure Skating Championships, Pairs' Short Program

I love their unique parallel sitting spread eagle transition to a throw triple loop. The program peaked at Worlds 2002, so despite a lot of mistakes in their LP (ironically their worst LP performance during the season), they earned their first World bronze and retired from competition. Kyoko, the amazing pair skater, deserved more than what she accomplished, but the era was different from now.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Maria Sotskova's Pina from the 2013 was really creative and the weird tassels on her dress and tribal feel to the steps gave me all sorts of positive vibes. Especially the last minute or so.

https://youtu.be/VPRAbYQJoHc?t=2m20s

Also I always enjoy a good Laetitia Hubert program. :eek::

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Elena Radionova's Titanic program this season. So cheesy and it fit her performance style to a T. I find that I love her way more when she embraces that part of herself.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gilles and poirier
the duschesnay

those are the creative ones pushing the barrier,and delighting me with every program

Lota

Record Breaker
Ooooh, I'm sure I'll remember lots more later on but, off the top of my head, Giada Russo's phenomenal LP this season that doesn't get nearly enough recognition as it should. From the choice of music to the choreography and execution - everything about this is unique, unexpected, magical, captivating, extraordinary... running out of superlatives here :laugh:

Please watch if you haven't seen it. Even if you don't particularly like it, I'm sure you'll at least appreciate the creativity.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ooooh, I'm sure I'll remember lots more later on but, off the top of my head, Giada Russo's phenomenal LP this season that doesn't get nearly enough recognition as it should. From the choice of music to the choreography and execution - everything about this is unique, unexpected, magical, captivating, extraordinary... running out of superlatives here :laugh:

Please watch if you haven't seen it. Even if you don't particularly like it, I'm sure you'll at least appreciate the creativity.

I remember seeing it during Italian Nationals and I was intrigued by how different it was. Then at Euro's it kind of messed with my mind. In a good way. Very unique program.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I thought Maria Sotskova's Pina from the 2013 was really creative and the weird tassels on her dress and tribal feel to the steps gave me all sorts of positive vibes. Especially the last minute or so.

https://youtu.be/VPRAbYQJoHc?t=2m20s

Also I always enjoy a good Laetitia Hubert program. :eek::

I think Sotskova is one of the well-dressed junior skaters. Even with the feathers and tassels she looks elegant, but her jumps are least favorite elements from her. Isn't she going to debut as a senior this season along with Wakaba Higuchi? Her puberty growth spurts seem to end, so I think she will be good in the senior circuit.

Laetitia was a pretty much SP skater and her inconsistencies always marred her to go up further. I liked her 2001/2 LP a lot, but her score didn't reflect her performances.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Elena Radionova's Titanic program this season. So cheesy and it fit her performance style to a T. I find that I love her way more when she embraces that part of herself.

I can't say I love her Titanic because of the horrible music edits but that attributes to lacks of funding for her as some people said her coach edited the music on her own. :scratch2: She was a reigning Russian National champ and World bronze medalist, so it didn't add up much. Regardless, her costumes for the program are generally very beautiful and I like her lavender dress the most. Her fans said that she will get (a) program(s) from Shae-Lynn Bourne, so I expect her programs to be amazing.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I think Daisuke Takahashi's "Cyberswan" belongs here too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3XHnd5Lo0

Ha I was just about to post this one. I remember the US commentators laughing at the screams from the audience lol here at 4CC. It certainly brought a breath of fresh air in using more contemporary influences.

Going back, another ice dance that I remember getting a rapturous reaction because it felt so different from the norm was the Duchesnays with their 1990 FD 'Missing'. Whatever could be said about the technical qualities, these two had fresh choreo with an amazing impact from Dean.

Last edited:

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for sharing. I never saw that before, even though I especially loved everything SOI did during those years.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I loved Piper and Paul's free dance this year despite a lot of fans saying they were trying too hard to be original and quirky. Especially the second piece of music, that was my favourite part. My opinion is that there was some wuzzrobbing happening at worlds, I thought they should've been higher than 8th. :( Maybe backlash for not being "traditional" in ice dance terms...

snd

On the Ice
giada russo fs 15-16, red violin
kerr/kerr fd 07-08, the alien fd

somewhat less so, but still worth mentioning:

yuzuru's fs 15-16

gilles and poirier
the duschesnay

those are the creative ones pushing the barrier,and delighting me with every program

+1

rugbyfan

On the Ice
LAurent Tobel? There was nothing very conventional about him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpT8vn4ZzQ

Gary Beacom - pretty much everything but how about his iconic I'm your man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcQWCca5i8

By the way does anyone know of a video of Beacom's part in Kurt Browning Tall in the Saddle - I think he was skating to the Devil went Down to Georgia. It was the first time I had ever seen Beacom and I was amazed

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
https://instagram.com/p/BHDz81XDpzl/ - it's really happening! I'm excited to see the result, Shae Lynn's choreography has never let me down. :love:

Irony that Shae was once married to Morozov, who choreographed Titanic and J'taime last year.

Seriously? This is something that I've never heard before ... :eek: What a womanizer that Nikolai is :laugh: It seems that he was dating every second figure skater out there. These ladies should have learned by now (I am not speaking strictly about Shae-Lynn), but I guess that he's like a magnet and they can't say no. That looks like some soap era.