Séguin/Bilodeau -training with ice dancers | Golden Skate

Séguin/Bilodeau -training with ice dancers

TGee

Record Breaker
We have increasing reports of singles and pairs skating and training with ice dancers to improve skating skills.

While Patrick Chan is top of mind for many, Julianne Séguin and Charlie Bilodeau, who are becoming known as the Consistent Canadians among pairs fans, have taken the step.

PJ Kwong asked them about what it's like to train with ice dancers in this recently posted preview of an upcoming podcast.

https://mobile.twitter.com/skatingpj/status/788362753765470208

So, what do folks think? Will skating with the dancers become the new standard to improve skating skills and increase PCS?

Last edited:

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
I'm excited to see how this improves S/B's skating skills. I've found them to be a little stiff in the past so I'm rooting for them to learn from the experience.

I think that training stroking exercises with another partner is a great training tool whether it's a dancer or a pairs skater. When I was training in ice dance partner-swaps were a regular part of stroking sessions and I personally learned a lot from it, so I can only imagine that Julianne and Charlie as elite skaters themselves will be learning loads from partnering world champions on stroking exercises.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now I have a total itch to see a video of Charlie skating with Gabriella Papadakis or Tessa Virtue! And Julianne with Scott Moir or Guillaume. It would be interesting to see the differences.

Also, these two are just so cute. :love: I'm pretty well convinced that Charlie is the happiest man in figure skating, is he ever not smiling? :yes:

TGee

Record Breaker
Now I have a total itch to see a video of Charlie skating with Gabriella Papadakis or Tessa Virtue! And Julianne with Scott Moir or Guillaume. It would be interesting to see the differences.

Also, these two are just so cute. :love: I'm pretty well convinced that Charlie is the happiest man in figure skating, is he ever not smiling? :yes:

I had the same reaction.
The conversation created such a picture in my mind. I'm feeling like a totally demanding fan. I want to see it....:gaah:

dcnative

On the Ice
I noticed that V/T's program where he was wearing the yellow pants looked like a FD with overhead lifts; also I think J&C/France may be getting some assistance from an ice dancer this season.

TGee

Record Breaker
PJ Kwong's feature article is up on the CBC site here

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/julianne-seguin-charlie-bilodeau-1.3812019

It highlights that emotion is part of what Julianne and Charlie are seeking in training with the ice dancers:

Seguin and Bilodeau see the value in mixing disciplines. The Montreal ice dance school run by Dubreuil and her husband, Patrice Lauzon, is like a second home to them."Every week, once a week, we're skating with their dancers," says Seguin. "We're trying to express in our skating the emotion like they do."

BTW the article embeds the team's 2015 Skate America SP for some reason.....if you'd like to take a look back, it's a good link.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
PJ Kwong's feature article is up on the CBC site here

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/julianne-seguin-charlie-bilodeau-1.3812019

It highlights that emotion is part of what Julianne and Charlie are seeking in training with the ice dancers:

Seguin and Bilodeau see the value in mixing disciplines. The Montreal ice dance school run by Dubreuil and her husband, Patrice Lauzon, is like a second home to them."Every week, once a week, we're skating with their dancers," says Seguin. "We're trying to express in our skating the emotion like they do."

BTW the article embeds the team's 2015 Skate America SP for some reason.....if you'd like to take a look back, it's a good link.

The part in red : come on.... :eeking: Lauzon, the hubby... give me a break. I hate when people label someone as the spouse of somebody else in such situations. Patrice is more than a husband, he is MFD's on ice partner, a world medalist and canadian champion and a coach... get if right PJ

Daniel1998

Final Flight
The part in red : come on.... :eeking: Lauzon, the hubby... give me a break. I hate when people label someone as the spouse of somebody else in such situations. Patrice is more than a husband, he is MFD's on ice partner, a world medalist and canadian champion and a coach... get if right PJ

Their programs for this season have been put together by four top choreographers, three of whom come from the ice dance world: Shae-Lynn Bourne and Shae Zukiwsky for the short program, and Marie-France Dubreuil and choreography legend David Wilson for the free.

Seguin and Bilodeau see the value in mixing disciplines. The Montreal ice dance school run by Dubreuil and her husband, Patrice Lauzon, is like a second home to them.

You didn't see the paragraph at the beginning that I've inserted there. They'd already mentioned Dubreuil in the previous paragraph, so to say Lauzon's name first then Dubreuil's in the following sentence would be clunky writing. I don't think the article meant any ill-will on Patrice. I get what you're saying though, they could have said "and her husband Patrice Lauzon (a former world medalist and National champion in his own right), etc etc."

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had the same reaction.
The conversation created such a picture in my mind. I'm feeling like a totally demanding fan. I want to see it....:gaah:

And we probably won't see a video of it anytime soon, since it's GP season and all the teams in question will be traveling to the various competitions. :(

TGee

Record Breaker
I noticed that V/T's program where he was wearing the yellow pants looked like a FD with overhead lifts; also I think J&C/France may be getting some assistance from an ice dancer this season.

Could your share some links please?

It would be great to compile a listing of "Pairs programs informed by Ice Dancing"

Here's another example that I am aware of: Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch worked in Montreal with M-F Dubreuil during the summer. She choreographed their tango short program this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzomrT73sKE

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Their programs for this season have been put together by four top choreographers, three of whom come from the ice dance world: Shae-Lynn Bourne and Shae Zukiwsky for the short program, and Marie-France Dubreuil and choreography legend David Wilson for the free.

Seguin and Bilodeau see the value in mixing disciplines. The Montreal ice dance school run by Dubreuil and her husband, Patrice Lauzon, is like a second home to them.

You didn't see the paragraph at the beginning that I've inserted there. They'd already mentioned Dubreuil in the previous paragraph, so to say Lauzon's name first then Dubreuil's in the following sentence would be clunky writing. I don't think the article meant any ill-will on Patrice. I get what you're saying though, they could have said "and her husband Patrice Lauzon (a former world medalist and National champion in his own right), etc etc."

you are correct, i didn't see the other paragraph BUT if it can explain the short cut to Dubreuil, it doesn't justify the labeling as a spouse. Women are fighting for equity and I am a big supporter of this, and I do encourage everyone to take the place they deserve. So having a woman journalist in a sport like figure skating make such a mistake is for me, NOT COOL :) If the opposite had been done, you can imagine a lot of people would be upset. I think that Patrice has always been the most reserved of the two, so perhaps M-F takes a more active role with the media... but yeah.... maybe it's because I find Patrice really sexy :) hahahaha

but sure, I will sleep anyways tonight...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not to be rude, but since she introduces herself as Tanith WHITE nowadays, she's the one to blame for it:biggrin:

we are just joking here anyways but you have a point.... I have no problem if a man or a woman is comfortable in that spouse role and is fine forgetting about their own identity to embrace their new one.

However, Patrice is not Patrice Dubreuil ;)

TGee

Record Breaker
we are just joking here anyways but you have a point.... I have no problem if a man or a woman is comfortable in that spouse role and is fine forgetting about their own identity to embrace their new one.

However, Patrice is not Patrice Dubreuil ;)

Not that I am in any way advocating name changes at marriage, but for colleagues who aren't aware, I'm going to note that in the province of Quebec a name change is not a legal option for women or men. Under the current Code Civil, one keeps the name at birth, or for older folks, baptism (as that was proof of birth in the past).

So, Patrice didn't have a choice. . . ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not that I am in any way advocating name changes at marriage, but for colleagues who aren't aware, I'm going to note that in the province of Quebec a name change is not a legal option for women or men. Under the current Code Civil, one keeps the name at birth, or for older folks, baptism (as that was proof of birth in the past).

So, Patrice didn't have a choice. . . ;)

LOL

the law never mentioned men changing their names ;)

to make a summary, women lost their identify completely under the previous laws... they would become MRS (insert full name of man)... a man who would marry twice (not that it is legal LOL) would have two wives with the same name... :)
When a woman got married, she lost her identity. She could retrieve it once divorced or widowed.... which wasn't very positive of an experience.

The law was modified to make women equal to men, in keeping their identity after marriage, thus nobody gets an AUTOMATIC name change anymore upon marriage.

However, for most people, it is possible to take your spouse's name IF you wish to do so, by going through a legal name change process after marriage. However, very few women (and I have never heard of a man :) ) go through it...

TGee

Record Breaker
LOL

the law never mentioned men changing their names ;)

to make a summary, women lost their identify completely under the previous laws... they would become MRS (insert full name of man)... a man who would marry twice (not that it is legal LOL) would have two wives with the same name... :)
When a woman got married, she lost her identity. She could retrieve it once divorced or widowed.... which wasn't very positive of an experience.

The law was modified to make women equal to men, in keeping their identity after marriage, thus nobody gets an AUTOMATIC name change anymore upon marriage.

However, for most people, it is possible to take your spouse's name IF you wish to do so, by going through a legal name change process after marriage. However, very few women (and I have never heard of a man :) ) go through it...

From what I've heard it's really legally and bureaucratically arduous in Quebec. The Code Civil does not tolerate name changes in the way common law does. . .

But bureaucratic barriers really discourage it in Ontario. There is no opt in to a new name choice on the marriage documents as there is in some provinces. So, even if marriage is accepted as a standard reason for change of name, by the time the legal change is done by the office in Thunder Bay (very far from Toronto...), a great number of other legal things need to be changed....lease agreements or titles on houses, bank accounts etc.

(BC seems to have gone with the spirit of the old British common law, and lets a woman just start adding another name at marriage. just tick a box on the register. Women can retain one name professionally and at the same time use a new name in family life....)

:eek:topic:

But back to ice dancers working with pairs......I was really hoping for some more uptake in identifying and tracking pairs that are training with or choreographed by ice dancers.

It would be interesting to me to see how much difference ice dancing makes as the pairs teams jostle for position in this year of so many injuries and absences.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I blame Pj Kwong for the temporary off topic ;)

and yes, I wonder if many pair teams train with dancers elsewhere... and what would dance teams gain from skating with pair teams?

TGee

Record Breaker
I blame Pj Kwong for the temporary off topic ;)

and what would dance teams gain from skating with pair teams?
:agree:

I've been wondering about the benefits on the other side too. I can't see ice dancers devoting too much of their session time to pairing with a pairs skater if they weren't getting something out of it too..... :think:

How about some brainstorming . . .? :cheer:

Would they get some benefits in swapping spin techniques?

How about lifts and lift entries? Even if overhead lifts aren't allowed, there may be opportunities for cross fertilization and learning new techniques.

Just skating with different partners is beneficial in practice, and it may be less of a issue to do this when there is no question that someone is a competitor or a potential new partner.

Would love to hear some other insights..........

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:agree:

I've been wondering about the benefits on the other side too. I can't see ice dancers devoting too much of their session time to pairing with a pairs skater if they weren't getting something out of it too..... :think:

How about some brainstorming . . .? :cheer:

Would they get some benefits in swapping spin techniques?

How about lifts and lift entries? Even if overhead lifts aren't allowed, there may be opportunities for cross fertilization and learning new techniques.

Just skating with different partners is beneficial in practice, and it may be less of a issue to do this when there is no question that someone is a competitor or a potential new partner.

Would love to hear some other insights..........

lifts and pair spin... sure.. that's what I thought about too... i think adapting to new partners quickly may be good for partnering skills. I have no clue... I'd love to partner with Scott, Andrew or Nikolaj though ;)