Séguin/Bilodeau -training with ice dancers | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Séguin/Bilodeau -training with ice dancers

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm going to continue on the :eek:topic: path, but I didn't know that interesting factoid about Quebec residents and marital names. That makes sense why so many Québécois who I know have hyphenated last names.

That must get problematic when a woman with a hyphenated last name has a baby with a man who also has a hyphenated last name. :laugh: Or a man and a man or a woman and a woman, babies aren't just for straight people, as we all know. :) Any way you slice it, that kid will have a lot of last names.

I took my husband's last name. *shrug* I don't feel like I lost any part of my identity. If anything, I like it somewhat better than my maiden name.

Now everybody get back on topic! Now!

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm going to continue on the :eek:topic: path, but I didn't know that interesting factoid about Quebec residents and marital names. That makes sense why so many Québécois who I know have hyphenated last names.

That must get problematic when a woman with a hyphenated last name has a baby with a man who also has a hyphenated last name. :laugh: Or a man and a man or a woman and a woman, babies aren't just for straight people, as we all know. :) Any way you slice it, that kid will have a lot of last names.

I took my husband's last name. *shrug* I don't feel like I lost any part of my identity. If anything, I like it somewhat better than my maiden name.

Now everybody get back on topic! Now!

Uhm, not hyphenated. Just no name change at all is the legal default here. And it's one of those things that is different enough from US custom at this point, that a little off topic deviation is not really off side.

For example, Meagan Duhamel married in 2015. Her family name, not just her skating name, continues as Duhamel. And as we kicked the topic off Dubreuil and Lauzon are married, but still Dubreuil/Lauzon....

Don't see that many of the younger women going for hyphenation, as it was kind of an 80s thing until the laws changed. And in some cases the hyphenate version is just a kind of stage name, not the legal one....The prime minister's wife is legally Sophie Gregoire, but she has indicated since her husband became PM that she would prefer to use Gregoire-Trudeau ....There has been some critique of this in Canadian media, and controversy in Quebec. But the last PM's wife who kept her maiden name got a lot of negative reaction, so the Trudeau's may feel this is the art of the possible for older voters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rname-is-everybodys-business/article27701792/

So I take the Trudeau's choice as somewhat of an indication that the change is still moving through our society. We had to get all our relatives to redo cheques at our wedding cause they weren't up with the times and cheques and made out to "his first name and her first name his last name". Our banks had cautioned us before the wedding not to accept such cheques as they would not be able to be deposited. My first name plus his last name would not be a legal person.

Even if I'd planned to change my name, we'd had to have waited several months for the legal name change and then changed the bank accounts from there....But I do know a few colleagues who have gone through the hassle to make the change....

charmblade

Final Flight
We had to get all our relatives to redo cheques at our wedding cause they weren't up with the times and cheques and made out to "his first name and her first name his last name". Our banks had cautioned us before the wedding not to accept such cheques as they would not be able to be deposited. My first name plus his last name would not be a legal person.

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't change my name when I got married, and I was concerned about the wedding checks that were made out to us using his last name and my first name but we didn't have any problem at all at the bank. Maybe they were just nice to us newlyweds :biggrin:

TGee

Record Breaker
Huh, that's interesting. I didn't change my name when I got married, and I was concerned about the wedding checks that were made out to us using his last name and my first name but we didn't have any problem at all at the bank. Maybe they were just nice to us newlyweds :biggrin:

It was okay if it said his first name OR her first name, his last name was ok because one of the legal account holders was on the cheque, but the AND had them refused....We had a few shower cheques that had to go back...But it might depend what province you were in. We were in Ontario.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nobody gets delegated to the lowly role of "spouse" more so than Tanith Belbin. :devil:

LOL, gotta disagree :devil:.

Tanith just hosted another edition of IN's Ice Desk after the Ladies SP at Skate America.

She started her introduction of the third panelist by making a joke along the lines of, "Today is Bring Your Husband To Work Day, so ..." :laugh:

Go, Tanith :yay:. (And Tanith's husband ;). He has the world and Olympic golds, but not the level of Tanith's broadcasting experience.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the hyphenated names are for children... many people are common law in quebec... children carry both names... (even when parents are married)
Uhm, not hyphenated. Just no name change at all is the legal default here. And it's one of those things that is different enough from US custom at this point, that a little off topic deviation is not really off side.

For example, Meagan Duhamel married in 2015. Her family name, not just her skating name, continues as Duhamel. And as we kicked the topic off Dubreuil and Lauzon are married, but still Dubreuil/Lauzon....

Don't see that many of the younger women going for hyphenation, as it was kind of an 80s thing until the laws changed. And in some cases the hyphenate version is just a kind of stage name, not the legal one....The prime minister's wife is legally Sophie Gregoire, but she has indicated since her husband became PM that she would prefer to use Gregoire-Trudeau ....There has been some critique of this in Canadian media, and controversy in Quebec. But the last PM's wife who kept her maiden name got a lot of negative reaction, so the Trudeau's may feel this is the art of the possible for older voters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rname-is-everybodys-business/article27701792/

So I take the Trudeau's choice as somewhat of an indication that the change is still moving through our society. We had to get all our relatives to redo cheques at our wedding cause they weren't up with the times and cheques and made out to "his first name and her first name his last name". Our banks had cautioned us before the wedding not to accept such cheques as they would not be able to be deposited. My first name plus his last name would not be a legal person.

Even if I'd planned to change my name, we'd had to have waited several months for the legal name change and then changed the bank accounts from there....But I do know a few colleagues who have gone through the hassle to make the change....

TGee

Record Breaker
the hyphenated names are for children... many people are common law in quebec... children carry both names... (even when parents are married)

And Quebec adopts a historic Welsh tradition. I wonder if they will also adopt the Welsh practice of switching out the mother's mother's name when it comes to grand-kids. Don't know of anyone who's got to that point.

But thanks, I hadn't realized it was that prevalent. Not seeing it so much in Western Quebec. Seemed more like just another option....I know of one family on the Ontario side that gave the first child dad's family name and the second one mum's.

All to say, that the Canadian lens on this is really different. Yup, for me Tanith's name change was really a Wait.....What???

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Damn. I totally forgot Julianne and Charlie are training with Ice Dancers when I made the observation and statement on the SA Pairs SP thread that they skated like Ice Dancers outside of Pairs elements.

TGee

Record Breaker
And back ON TOPIC .......[yes, that goes out to myself :eek:hwell:]2

How about the fact that the 2nd AND 3rd place PAIRS teams at Skate America both ice dance coaches/choreographers with them in the KnC [Marina and Patrice respectively.] :hap36:

Is this telling us something? I think so.

Or, perhaps Marina Zoueva wants to remind people that she used to be a pairs coach as well as a singles coach for men. And a really good one as it happened. Just needs a top woman and she'll have a home run...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Damn. I totally forgot Julianne and Charlie are training with Ice Dancers when I made the observation and statement on the SA Pairs SP thread that they skated like Ice Dancers outside of Pairs elements.

and really, most of the pairs working with Bruno Marcotte, for instance, Mervin and Castelli, or of course, D/R and MTM2.0 are working with Julie Marcotte, his sister. If Bruno is well-known in Canada as a pair skater, Julie was a National Junior Ice Dance champion in the late 80s. She is a choreographer now but she comes from ice dance.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Many choreographers come from ice dance so it's not surprising to see the collaboration between ice dancers and all the rest of the skaters.