Most favorite moments in 2016/17 season? | Golden Skate

Most favorite moments in 2016/17 season?

HoneyGoldLev

Rinkside
What's your most favorite moments that happened in 2016/17 season? Maybe top 5?

For me:
1. WTT exhibition gala for being the funnest gala this season (which was probably the only good thing from this ??? competition). I never knew I need that Shoma-Zhenya-Yuzu combo head-banging in my life.

2. Jason Brown face when he achieved his personal best at World. :luv17:

3. Two Canadian ladies medal at World Championship instead of two Russians like many predict. Just pleasant surprise. :agree: And Osmond and Daleman sisterhood is so heart-warming.

4. When Yuzuru finally managed to skate Hope & Legacy squeaky clean, and defied logic once again by jumping from 5th place to win overall.

5. Sui/Han won their first World title with their amazing and very emotional program. Just well deserving after the struggle with injury.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like lots of little things:

- Max and Yuzuru bowing to each other backstage before the medal ceremony at ACI. Followed by Misha sharing his selfie plot with Max, and Max laughing at Misha as he put the phone in his costume, and the Misha sending Yuzuru into gales of laughter when he tried to fish it out to take the picture.

- The gate marshal sobbing at Skate America after Jason's skate. In that moment, we were all the gate marshal.

- "the camera is panning too fast" at Golden Spin :rofl:

- the moment when Max took his jacket off in the SP warmup at Nationals :love: :love: :love: (and we ignore everything that happened after)

- ADVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE AUSTRALIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR!

- waking up one warm February morning to find people tagging me in things on Twitter and then opening Twitter and promptly crying because JOSH IS COMING BACK

- Brendan adjusting his tie in the kiss and cry at AWG/Worlds

- and losing the string in his pirate shirt not once but TWICE this season :rofl:

- waking up to find that Jason had scored 93 for his SP at Worlds :cheer:

- watching Jason smack down everyone who doubted him with his wonderful FS at Worlds

- Jason wearing the onigiri hat at WTT

- Evgenia busting out a 3-3-3 combo just because she can and because the Zayak rule doesn't hurt so bad anymore

- Sailor Evgenia, of course.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will try to stick to 5....

1) going to my first live competitions, ACI and Canadian Nationals... ACI had a lot of the international skaters going to SCI and it was fun to be sitting almost right at ice level and watch all of the skaters, coaches and their interaction.... I got to really understand the difference between online streaming and live skating, especially when it comes to speed, footwork, spins, and even jumps as often the camera angles hide off-axis jumps for instance.... some skaters I liked before were way less impressive live and vice versa.

2) Patrick Chan everything : first competition : He revealed his programs. Despite not liking the music of the LP, I just adored the choreography and Patrick's mature skating to it... WOW... Then, he won Skate Canada and CoC.... GPF: that was awesome for two reasons, a clean SP and his first ever landed 4S. THEN, Patrick at NATIONALS and i was THERE!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His LP there was so good and emotional that even with the transformed quad toe loop into a triple, it remains his cleanest performance of the year... I CRIED.... Patrick at Worlds, incredible SP! Over 100 BRAVO... Patrick at WTT : first time landing 3 quads. This is the kind of year that sounds like building blocks for the following year. SO thank you Patrick

3)Canadian ladies showing they have it in them : 2 medals ! Incredible. Bravo

4) Tessa and Scott's SD : truly the best DANCING in the field this year.

5) Sui/Han's return to near perfect programs in both of their competition. After seeing her in a wheel chair a few months before, crying, watching Cong skate the program by himself (and wow... it was nice to look at him for once... he is a gorgeous skater) it was truly an emotional moment to see them doing so well.

Honorable mentions: Nic Nadeau's 4loop and Elvis Performance at Nationals, Shoma Uno's growing from a very early year boring tango to a very good and intense one by worlds.... with an added gorgeous 4loop... and for more emotions, FAREWELL MAO... THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Seeing Yuzu skate that world record-breaking FS at Worlds right in front of me. To experience that kind of thing live as a fan is nothing less than your dream coming true, and with your other favorites also making the top three... That's what makes it worth paying the big bucks for. ;-)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Given my love for the men, only a few there ... but I am submitting to my love for the sentimental as well.

Already said, men's division:

1. Me too for Jason and the crying gate marshal at Skate America. @Karne is right, we were the gate marshal. A deserved response to a perfect skate.

2. Deniss at NHK for me as well. What a little cutie. Between Jason's spins and Deniss' spins, skating life is good.:agree:

Not already said, pair's division:

1. Deanna and Nate after their SP at US Nats. The look of joy on her face throughout the skate lifted me up, and their excitement when they were finished. So inspirational!

2. Alexa and Chris after their SP at Worlds. Knowing what she had been through, the skate made me shiver. And the way they look at each other during the skate. You can keep pawsy, handsy, bedroom eyes and booty shaking in pairs. I'd rather see the real love of Alexa and Chris:love:

Last edited:

HoneyGoldLev

Rinkside
I will try to stick to 5....

1) going to my first live competitions, ACI and Canadian Nationals... ACI had a lot of the international skaters going to SCI and it was fun to be sitting almost right at ice level and watch all of the skaters, coaches and their interaction.... I got to really understand the difference between online streaming and live skating, especially when it comes to speed, footwork, spins, and even jumps as often the camera angles hide off-axis jumps for instance.... some skaters I liked before were way less impressive live and vice versa.

2) Patrick Chan everything : first competition : He revealed his programs. Despite not liking the music of the LP, I just adored the choreography and Patrick's mature skating to it... WOW... Then, he won Skate Canada and CoC.... GPF: that was awesome for two reasons, a clean SP and his first ever landed 4S. THEN, Patrick at NATIONALS and i was THERE!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His LP there was so good and emotional that even with the transformed quad toe loop into a triple, it remains his cleanest performance of the year... I CRIED.... Patrick at Worlds, incredible SP! Over 100 BRAVO... Patrick at WTT : first time landing 3 quads. This is the kind of year that sounds like building blocks for the following year. SO thank you Patrick

3)Canadian ladies showing they have it in them : 2 medals ! Incredible. Bravo

4) Tessa and Scott's SD : truly the best DANCING in the field this year.

5) Sui/Han's return to near perfect programs in both of their competition. After seeing her in a wheel chair a few months before, crying, watching Cong skate the program by himself (and wow... it was nice to look at him for once... he is a gorgeous skater) it was truly an emotional moment to see them doing so well.

Honorable mentions: Nic Nadeau's 4loop and Elvis Performance at Nationals, Shoma Uno's growing from a very early year boring tango to a very good and intense one by worlds.... with an added gorgeous 4loop... and for more emotions, FAREWELL MAO... THANK YOU!

Ah I should have written honorable mentions. But yes, definitely yesss for Patrick at World.
Usually a program loses a bit of its spark for me when there's a fall, but not the case with Patrick. His skating skill is just so beautiful that it captivated me from start to end.

And while we're on the topic of Virtue/Moir, how could I forget their Kiss&Cry moment after FD at World..... (I knew I forget something)
That moment when Scott held Tessa on the shoulder and being all sweet when asked about something by the MC... Anybody has a gif for this? :laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd forgotten how awesome Deniss' NHK FS was. Those spins! :jaw:

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Let's see, because it was a long and intense season and many moments worth remembering:

1. Of course, Yuzuru's amazing FS performance with WR at Helsinki and his genuine happiness in knc :" I'm not cryin'! I'm not crying!!!" I was crying and smilling in the same time. And I was watching at TV. I can't even start to imagine how it was for those who had the luck to be there!!! :love:

2. Javi's perfect SP at WC... wonderful and so in character. Loved it!

3. Anna Pogorilaya's both programs this season, especially her LP, her LP dress, just outstanding. Such a shame with her bad luck at the WC. She's an amazing lady.:luv17:

4. Evgenia Medvedeva's consistency this season, too. Out of this world. :bow: I really don't know how she manage to do it again and again. :shocked:
5. Boyang Jin's Spiderman Sp, so fun to watch, and his amazing 4Lz in WC Helsinki LP, the best jump in all competition IMO! :agree:

And I can think at many others. So many beautiful performances!!! So many different quads ... Great season! Thank you all!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's see, because it was a long and intense season and many moments worth remembering:

1. Of course, Yuzuru's amazing FS performance with WR at Helsinki and his genuine happiness in knc :" I'm not cryin'! I'm not crying!!!" I was crying and smilling in the same time. And I was watching at TV. I can't even start to imagine how it was for those who had the luck to be there!!! :love:

2. Javi's perfect SP at WC... wonderful and so in character. Loved it!

3. Anna Pogorilaya's both programs this season, especially her LP, her LP dress, just outstanding. Such a shame with her bad luck at the WC. She's an amazing lady.:luv17:

4. Evgenia Medvedeva's consistency this season, too. Out of this world. :bow: I really don't know how she manage to do it again and again. :shocked:
5. Boyang Jin's Spiderman Sp, so fun to watch, and his amazing 4Lz in LP, the best jump in all competition IMO! :agree:

And I can think at many others. So many beautiful performances!!! So many different quads ... Great season! Thank you all!

My favorite moments are almost exactly the same as yours.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
My Helsinki

1) Flying across the world just to see Yuzu and to see his practices in UA is just a dream come true :luv17:

2) To witness Yuzu historic free skate and be part of the audience that exploded after the performance...unbelievable experience.

3) Seeing all the men performances were awesome :hap10:

4) Being interviewed with another fan regarding Yuzu & Pooh, and it was actually published in Turun Sanomat online news was such a surprised as we thought nothing came out of it :laugh:

5) Love the daily meeting of fans from GS and YHIFG FB :yahoo:

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
I don't think it has already been mentioned: J/C at the Europeans (both programs), so nice to see them fulfilling their potentials!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Marin Honda's giggle after saying "okyakusama nomimono ikaga desu ka" the very first time, at the JAL media event when she dressed as a cabin attendant.

Sui/Han's emotional hug at the end of FS at Worlds.

The final spin/lift at the end of Cappellini/Lanotte's FD at Skate Canada, a magical moment where Anna appears to float weightlessly into the air.

Seeing Mao Asada's FS at Finlandia Trophy, and her SP at TdF. Imperfect yet breathtakingly beautiful... magnificent performances... fabulous, detailed, complex and unique choreography... awesome costumes... the genius change to ponytail hair for the SP at TdF. We've been living on borrowed time since 2014, every performance by Mao since then has really been a bonus... but it was still devastating when she officially retired, her tears were a bitter-sweet moment...

Yuzuru Hanyu final pose and reaction, at the end of his FS at World's, and being part of the arena crowd at that moment.

Yuzuru Hanyu fixing Evgenia Medvedeva's hair off-ice, just before WTT EX finale.

Wakaba Higuchi landing a perfect 3A.
Yuhana Yokoi landing a perfect 3A.

Seeing Javier Fernandez spot Gabby Daleman having coffee in the hotel restaurant, the morning after a disappointing FS at TdF made her miss an expected podium finish... walked over, asked if she was OK, and gave her a comforting pat on the head. Aww.

Kanako Murakami fighting back the tears, but still smiling at the end of her performance at WTT gala.

The "flower girls" at 4CC finale, mobbing Hanyu and trying to be the one standing next to him/holding his hand... and shamelessly muscling Dabin Choi and Shoma Uno out of the way in the process...

Elizabet Tursynbaeva's mother in K&C after World's SP.

I better stop now, I could go on forever...

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Deanna and Nate after their SP at US Nats. The look of joy on her face throughout the skate lifted me up, and their excitement when they were finished. So inspirational!

2. Alexa and Chris after their SP at Worlds. Knowing what she had been through, the skate made me shiver. And the way they look at each other during the skate. You can keep pawsy, handsy, bedroom eyes and booty shaking in pairs. I'd rather see the real love of Alexa and Chris:love:

Absolutely! Also thrilled for Ashley Cain & Timothy LeDuc @ US Nationals (not to mention getting to hug Ashley after their sp @ US Nationals)!

Sean Rabbitt's sp & fs performances @ US Nationals & his priceless reaction in the K&C. Seeing & being part of the standing ovation after his fs was heartwarming!

Kaetlyn & Gabby's reactions in the K&C

Team spirit @ the WTT - a competition in itself

James & Cipres - @ Europeans & WTT!

The "Pooh" moments @ every competition in which Yuzu competes

Boyang Jin's Spiderman @ Worlds

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Well just adding to the list (as people already mentioned most cool moments)

Evgenia adding that extra 3T at Europeans =)

ejnsofi

Final Flight
1. Shoma-Zhenya-Yuzu dance during WTT gala. It was so funny and it was great to see skaters having fun after long and tiring season

2. Boyang's short performance in pair. He certainly enjoyed that :D

3. Yuzu's amazing performance at Worlds when crowd at the end was so loud I couldn't hear the music.

4. Crowd supporting Anna Pogorilaya during her FS in Helsinki. It was heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time

5. Mikhail Kolyada's gala's program at WTT. I didn't know how to react but at the end I was chocking while laughing

6. Daniel Samohin's come back during his FS at Junior Worlds. He had really rough season so I'm glad that his very last performance showed that he is capable of performing great programs. Also change from 16th to 6th place is impressive

blackey

On the Ice
- v/m finally win their gpf title
- v/m's SD at worlds (also d/l sitting with them at k&c and their group hug)
- Scott saying 'she held my butt up today' in interview
- s/h's FP ending at worlds
- Marin's FP at jr worlds
- Dmitri Aliev's k&c reaction at jr worlds
- yuzu's FP and k&c at worlds, brian was calm and proudly smiling while tracy was totally in shock
- yuzu & javi hug at backstage of worlds
- charlie white interview v/m at worlds

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
Here is mine:
- Worlds 2017 Pairs victory ceremony! One of the loveliest vc I should say. Particularly,during medal ceremony Wenjing Sui (everything about them winning this gold was amazing actually) hitting her talkative partner with an elbow in order to shut him up :laugh: Also Sui and Han helping other ladies up to podium, Han being lifted by Bruno and Vladimir for group foto and Han lifting his partner to help her get off podium.

AppleEmperor

On the Ice
1) Sui/Han making their comeback. I was extremely emotional and happy seeing them skate again.

2) Shoma and Yuzuru getting a lot closer this year + podium wedding shenanigans. WTT moments were truly priceless.

3) Mai making her statement as a true contender this season and sharing her pure love for skating. Sidenote: her pre-skate ritual is so cute.

4) Shibsibs vlogs, as always, make me feel 120% better when I watch them.

5) Boyang Jin's general existence. Boyangman + Cowboyang + Banquet Streams = true icon