2014-2015 GPF Free Dance 12/13 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Free Dance 12/13

elif

Medalist
I love Papadakis/Cizeron but how their twizzles got +2s and +3s really strange. They become too close in first set so Cizeron let his blade go. Second set had unison problems, in third set they were apart from each other and lost axis. One judge gave them -1, which is little harsh. But final GOE must be 0 or +1. Clean twizzles should get +2 and +3, not this...

Alba

Record Breaker
P/C looks like a lock for European gold. I guess C/L and if they compete B/S can challenge them. Unfortunately I/Z is not technically ready to win yet. But I can see them as a clear favorite for Russian Nationals title if B/S doesn't compete.

I&Z had higher tes than P&C today, who got held up with GoE's.
If they become the Russians no. 1 they will be treated as such by the judges as well, and you will see their marks rise. They just need to skate clean and push it.
Mark my words.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I&Z had higher tes than P&C today, who got held up with GoE's.
If they become the Russians no. 1 they will be treated as such by the judges as well, and you will see their marks rise. They just need to skate clean and push it.
Mark my words.

Completely agree. P/C is not better than I/Z. They have huge FD (which I still don't completely get), but they're weaker technically. Euros will be more interesting than Worlds :biggrin:

elif

Medalist
Interestingly two pessimistic judges who scored Ilinykh/Zhiganshin skating skills score 6.75-7.00 in short, changed their minds. Lowest skating skills score for them is 8.00, which is right. They still scored 7.00s for them in transitions and other thing which is right too. I didn't see any 10.0s for Chock/Bates so judges meeting to discuss scores must have worked.:biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
They seem like nice people and I wish them well, but I think the top 3 is not going to happen for them again. They should be very proud of their 2010-2011 season. I think that's going to be the competitive career peak for them.

Shibs are talented. I think they have a natural talent for dancing, and they have musicality.
The only criticism I have for these two, a part from the fact that they should run and do a Usain Bolt on Zueva, is that they should change a bit their attitude.
They should look bigger when they enter the ice and skate, like they own the place.

katia

On the Ice
You're not. I saw it too.
OMG.
I know that there is quite a bit of nostalgia for Soviet Union in Russia, (particularly with Green Men of Russia in Ukraine), as well as a lot of communists/marxists symphatizers in Spain but.... this???

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think Krylova and Camerlengo are much smarter than I ever gave them credit for. At the beginning of the season, I was very underwhelmed with W/P's FD; in fact, I was disappointed after last year's tango. While I don't especially care for C/B, I was, grudgingly, impressed with their FD--fresh, different, skated well. And I was immediately IN LOVE with P/C's FD. Now that we've seen all three of these dances, it starts to get interesting. That FD from C/B gets less fresh and less different each time I see it. And while I still ADORE P/C's FD, there's really not much more they can do with it other than skate it lights-out and get all level 4s. But back to W/P and their smart coaches. Their FD has the most room to grow out of the top three couples. It gets better and better each time. If they skate well, the final cut of music is going to have the crowd on its feet by Worlds. Very, very smart strategy. (I'm still not sold on the costuming, though.)

Alas, I just got home and had to miss almost all of today, but this gets a big :agree: even before I've seen the actual programs.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really love the modern neo-classicalesque music of W/P's FD.
The dancing was spectacular. They are such technically strong skaters. The marks were totally deserved.

In saying that, if they want to break into the Virtue/Moir-Davis/White realm of excellency, there is something else needed. That intangible connection between me and the audience on a personal level is still needed. Like a missing ingredient in a recipe...

bramweld

Record Breaker
Cizeron, I don't need to say nothing else. The man can shake that ultra hot bodaciousness around the ice, present his lady like a queen and handle his TES. Trust me some poor unsuspecting judge is going to give them sheer "hotness bonus marks" from time to time. I can't say I wouldn't fall victim to the same temptation. All others will need to come really good. Its not really fair but its life. Need I say as well that P/C really have first rate choreography. This is shaping up to be a great season. Today really liked P/C and I/Z. I haven't watched C/B yet.

Interestingly two pessimistic judges who scored Ilinykh/Zhiganshin skating skills score 6.75-7.00 in short, changed their minds. Lowest skating skills score for them is 8.00, which is right. They still scored 7.00s for them in transitions and other thing which is right too. I didn't see any 10.0s for Chock/Bates so judges meeting to discuss scores must have worked.:biggrin:

:yes:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
^^The choice of music could have also helped right. But I think this was good for the Shibs. Now I hope they try more interesting and innovative choreography. I think they should work with the choreographer who put together their gala.
Petr Tchernyshev (Russian ice dancer and choreographer who once represented USA together with Naomi Lang) choreographed that exhibition. But like other people have said, he probably doesn't want to (or is not even allowed) to work on competitive programs with a non-Russian dance team who can be rivals to Russians.

peg

Medalist
and on a side note, it's really great to see Elena looking so happy, and she and Zighansin clearly regard this as something they're in together, good and bad. I think that's a really promising quality in a partnership. I know there had been rumours in the past about her work ethic, but clearly a new team doesn't get this far this fast without a lot of effort.
I completely agree. She looks so much happier and so much more relaxed this year. And she seems so supportive of Ruslan if he' not perfect. For all the rumors about her work ethic and her being hard to work with, this partnership has dispelled that. Maybe there was just constant tension between her and Nikita and they brought out the worst in each other, or he brought out the worst in her, but with Ruslan, she seems like such a genuine and warm person. It really makes me root for them all the more.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I completely agree. She looks so much happier and so much more relaxed this year. And she seems so supportive of Ruslan if he' not perfect. For all the rumors about her work ethic and her being hard to work with, this partnership has dispelled that. Maybe there was just constant tension between her and Nikita and they brought out the worst in each other, or he brought out the worst in her, but with Ruslan, she seems like such a genuine and warm person. It really makes me root for them all the more.
that's also the reason I root for them. Before the split I've heard my friend negative remarks about Elena being a divas but still I could not take my eyes off her. Then the accident at WC, the split, the way she deal with pressure and everything, And the way Ruslan quietly deal with it as well.
They will be great.

Last edited:

dcnative

On the Ice
I don't agree with W/P's free score. That's ridiculous. I like them, but that isn't better than P/B in Saitama, certainly not close to I/K in Sochi, and it tells them they don't have room to improve much. But they do.

No one is at the level of V/M or D/W, it's not even close. This season has been interesting, but upsetting.

They were extremely over scored here. During the last section it looked very frantic; and what happened to HOLDS? I saw a few in the beginning but after that not very many.

peg

Medalist
that's also the reason I root for them. Before the split I've heard my friend negative remarks about Elena being a divas but still I could not take my eyes off her. Then the accident at WC, the split, the way she deal with pressure and everything, And the way Ruslan quietly deal with it as well.
They will be great.

Now, she is still a diva on the ice (in a good way) but once the show is over, she just seems so warm.

beki

Medalist
I don't know if it's just me, but today Elena seemed to have more speed and power than she used to. I am glad to see it. The way Nikita treats his new partner does not look good at all—like how he ignored her when she fell. I was completely shocked when I/K split, but maybe she will be better off.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Now, she is still a diva on the ice (in a good way) but once the show is over, she just seems so warm.

Yes it is amazing to watch her this year... in many ways she seems like a totally different person. Don't know if Nikita was bringing her down or if she just used to be different and has changed, but it is very obvious her attitude's undergone some adjustment (at least immediately before and after skating), and in the best possible way.

Alba

Record Breaker
Don't know if Nikita was bringing her down or if she just used to be different and has changed,

I don't want to blame Nikita, but when she said once: she spend the day asking sorry to Nikita and Morozov for the mistake in the twizzles at Euro, I thought was very telling about their "team spirit", and she wasn't even complaining in that occasion. She was just telling something about the Euros and the mistake.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Yes it is amazing to watch her this year... in many ways she seems like a totally different person. Don't know if Nikita was bringing her down or if she just used to be different and has changed, but it is very obvious her attitude's undergone some adjustment (at least immediately before and after skating), and in the best possible way.

I think possibly there was tension between them for some time. People are never at their best in a situation with too much tension. I like her better with Ruslan. I also think Ruslan is better-looking now that he skates with Elena ;)