2014-2015 GPF Pairs Free Skate 12/13 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Pairs Free Skate 12/13

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Upset with their marks, not the result. Their PCS is a joke and it says...you want to win, start landing those lutzes or go home, and pairs skating is supposed to be so much more than that :(

No, it's saying that higher difficulty and pushing the technical envelope will be rewarded. It's saying skaters can't rely on PCS to win events.

Honestly, do you think S/K should have won? Because THAT would be a joke.

cebi26

On the Ice
Wow, was watching the pairs records holden by V/T... really don't think that someone in this season can break them.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Mozer's pairs have no flair. From V/T to S/K. All they have is consistency and endless backup from the judges. How ironic for Trankov to criticize the lack of flair.
Oh my, you really would say that D/R have more flair than V/T or S/K?

whatif

Medalist
I agree... her gaping smile was distracting. She needs to reel it in... to land their last element (the throw 3Z) and throw quad should elicit that type of happy reaction. But during the spirals?! She looked like a muppet. :laugh:

I was very afraid that she won't survive it till the end and will die right on the ice from all the excitement. I guess it's kinda cute and endearing so I can't help but be happy for them. But please, Meagan, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM!!!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I really hope we'll see 3S sbs, 4STh and new lifts from S/K next season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They barely got less PCS. It's a joke.

Oh well, we have years of this to look forward to.

If you mean years of pairs finally challenging themselves technically instead of the usual SBS 3T + SBS 2A that S/K do, or the usual throw 3L and 3S that have been around for 15 years.... then yes, I do look forward to the next few years of pairs. :cheer:

Irina89

On the Ice
No, it's saying that higher difficulty and pushing the technical envelope will be rewarded. It's saying skaters can't rely on PCS to win events.

No, I agree with the winners, don't get me wrong. But not with the PCS...68 or even 69 would have been more ok. While rewarding difficulty, it would have also said...don't rely solely on TES to win. Start skating like a pair once in a while

Bufo viridis

Rinkside
I agree with the technical scoring, but D/R were so boring otherwise... Absolutely enjoyed S/K, they were amazing! Just too bad they didn't fix that one mistake they had. I remembered they had the same problem the last time they skated.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Btw, S/K seem to have "silver curse" ... Just look - Olympics, European, Worlds and now Grand Prix :laugh: At least they won Nationals))

whatif

Medalist
Now I guess S/K will actually change their 2A to 3S as they practice. DOubt they will include quad throw yet, though, even though they practice it...

They may want to speed up their difficulty upgrading from next to this season. But it's telling that even with all that technical difficulty with lutzes and quads and you name it, D/R only managed 5 point lead against a very watered down S/K.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well didn't Trankov mention that S/K have more tricks up their sleeve? Seems like they're gonna need to pull them out for the second half of the season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really hope we'll see 3S sbs, 4STh and new lifts from S/K next season.

My issue with S/K is that their layout is exactly the same as last season... same SBS jumps, same lifts, same SBS spin... it's like they think they don't have to up their game with V/T not competing and can be top of the field just like that.

The best thing about this D/R win is that maybe S/K will finally start challenging themselves -- I mean, at least start training a second SBS triple.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight

Tell them CanadianSkaterGuy! It is a sport! It is like penalizing Usain Bolt when he won his first Olympic hundred meters and he was rejoicing even before the end of his race. Maybe we can tell him his conduct was not artistic enough!

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Well didn't Trankov mention that S/K have more tricks up their sleeve? Seems like they're gonna need to pull them out for the second half of the season.

He mentioned smth in the SP, there they got Level3 lift but do have another one as well...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They may want to speed up their difficulty upgrading from next to this season. But it's telling that even with all that technical difficulty with lutzes and quads and you name it, D/R only managed 5 point lead against a very watered down S/K.

Well, she did drop both hands down on the 3Z. And what S/K do, even if it's comparatively wayyy easier than D/R, at least they do it exceptionally well.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That Muse selection is no good also. I wish they just used Uprising.

And congrats to the fans of D/R :)

bixby

Final Flight
I have to agree that I think S/K should consider the vocals that Davis and White used with Notre Dame de Paris with "Danse Esmeralda." The piece they use is hard on the ears. BUT I prefer S/K's skating and performance to Duhamel and Radford. Besides not caring for the Canadian's piece of music I find them very mechanical and many of their moves very telegraphed. They can rack the technical points but I am not impressed with the overall artistic quality. Megan's over the top facial expressions do not make for an artistically pleasing piece. Actually the performance that I think has the most potential and the one I'd like to see again is Kavaguti and Smirnov's I think Alexander needs to get into better shape so he can sustain some of those lifts and positions better and not look like he's ready to collapse at the end. Poor Yuka. Does this girl ever smile? She has beautiful balletic moves but maybe some additional strength training on her part would help. BUT I LOVE that music and what they are doing on the ice. I have hopes for this to be podium-worth at Worlds.

They deserved to win but I'm with you on this. On technical merits they can rack up points, but lots to be desired artistically. I give them a lot of respect for their guts and consistency. Too robotic though for a total package.

Again, BIG CONGRATS to Eric and Meagan!!!

Last edited: