2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08 | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08

Meoima

Match Penalty
Meoima, I was providing scores because somebody asked me how I would have scored him... in which case, I said his TES was scored fairly for the most part, and then I said how I would have scored his PCS.
I get that people are upset about the whole situation, but I don't think that should prevent us from discussing the judging and rationale for their scores given the performances that were put out.
The reply is simple: the judges were shocked and bewildered, too. I am tired of this.

Ryusa5

Rinkside
I don't agree with his PCS scores I think that if the judges have him 74-75 it would have been a lot better,less drama and the results would have been the same.The judges aren't doing him any favours giving him such scores in fact they're only ruining his reputation
I was just trying to say that it's his TES that saved him,like always,and I think that judged fairly on his PCS he would have still gotten silver

sarukou

Rinkside
It is fair in the sense that all competitors play by the same rules. But the rules make a mockery of the sport. A competitor should get credit only for a completed element, not for a valiant failure.

If a pole vaulter attempts 19 feet but knocks the bar off, he does not receive any points for having got 18 feet eleven inches off the ground, however difficult such a feat might be.

This.
They should raise the base value of difficult elements, not reward failures of difficult elements. The key is that the incentive needs to be high enough so that skaters are still willing to take the risk of attempting them.

makaihime

Final Flight
CoC was a disaster. If you want to really dissect the scores, save it for NHK where undoubtedly people will have a lot of say.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't agree with his PCS scores I think that if the judges have him 74-75 it would have been a lot better,less drama and the results would have been the same.The judges aren't doing him any favours giving him such scores in fact they're only ruining his reputation
I was just trying to say that it's his TES that saved him,like always,and I think that judged fairly on his PCS he would have still gotten silver

I don't hold Hanyu's reputation in less regard or more regard based on the scores the judges give him. If anything, his reputation should be better seeing as how he actually decided to compete even when he wasn't at his best.

But the reputation of the SPORT suffers when a skater with 7 major errors across an SP+LP still wins the silver medal. And that is worth discussing.

Ryusa5

Rinkside
It is fair in the sense that all competitors play by the same rules. But the rules make a mockery of the sport. A competitor should get credit only for a completed element, not for a valiant failure.
/QUOTE]
But he's not responsable for the rules.And under this set of rules he had the 2nd highest TES of the night
It's useless to talk about what should get credit and what not

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Once you look past the falls, Hanyus LP choreography is actually really good. Despite his banged up state, his lines are much better now.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Just watched the video. The other guys outskated him but he was given a medal anyway. Too many falls and the spins weren't even good. He's usually much better than that.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Wait, people are actually trying to defend Hanyu's score in here? Are you kidding?

That performance deserved 70 in PCS at most. Dornbush easily should have placed over him.

This was the worst Men's competition ever at this level of event.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wait, people are actually trying to defend Hanyu's score in here? Are you kidding?
That performance deserved 70 in PCS at most. Dornbush easily should have placed over him.
No, people are saying judges are human, too. And they were affected by the accident much worse than us.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No, people are saying judges are human, too. And they were affected by the accident much worse than us.

The ability to judge this competition correctly was 100% within human capability.

Hanyu gave a sluggish, half-hearted performance with 5 disruptive falls.

The judges simply don't know how to judge. As usual.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

I see mostly everyone disagrees with the PCS. Not so much with his TES and the final placement

Meoima

Match Penalty
The ability to judge this competition correctly was 100% within human capability.
Gosh, people who was at the ice rink by that time said "I am still shaking at the moment."

Ophelia

Record Breaker

It was sluggish, but def not half hearted.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd could argue Nam Nguyen got a bit hosed here. Yes he popped a jump, but still did a quad and seven triples. His PCS is almost too low, even accounting for the fact he was slow.

Really other than Nam and Misha, who were 6th and 7th, nobody really performed all that well. Richard Dornbush had a quad but six triples (one was fall/error on the other) and popped two others . Maxim had two quads, but one was a fall and the five triples (weigh slight errors on two of them).

Eh, moving on. Too much hyper analyzing is bad.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Misha Ge and Richard Dornbush :clap: were the guys making it worthwile watching men today for me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The judges being "affected" by the incident shouldn't affect their ability to score. Are you saying they were shocked by te collision and this somehow prevented them from properly assessing Yan/Hanyu's PCS?

What do we tell Dornbush then? Sorry about the lack of silver, but the judges weren't in the right mindset? If they hadn't been so shocked by the collision they wouldn't have given a person with 5 falls a higher performance/execution score than you?

Is the judges' supposed shock the justification we tell Nam that his pretty much clean FS scored 16 points less PCS than a 5-fall FS?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd could argue Nam Nguyen got a bit hosed here. Yes he popped a jump, but still did a quad and seven triples. His PCS is almost too low, even accounting for the fact he was slow.

68 points PCS for a FS with a quad, two 3A (including 3A-3T). Yeah, just a bit hosed... Never mind Hanyu and Kovtun's PCS... 68 is way too low. And it's not like his program has a whole lot less transitions than the skaters above him and he certainly performed his FS better than others - Ge also should have had slightly higher PCS but then again he didnt attempt a quad either.