2014 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance 11/15 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance 11/15

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My son tore his Achilles tendon. When he was operated on, he was full of optimism, sure he would be back ski racing in a year at most. Guess what? Reality happened. It is almost two years and his leg is not the same. He can ski recreationally but that is it. I always felt that Evan is not physically the same as he was before the injury, just like my son.

It is something you cannot know in advance, how well you will heal from a difficult injury. Kids are always so optimistic. Think of Alissa Czisny's hip repair. It didn't allow her to return to skating.

It is true that it isharder to lift 120 lbs than to lift 100 lbs. I always felt that was what the problem was, but there is no way the guy can say that.

BlackPack

Medalist
My son tore his Achilles tendon. When he was operated on, he was full of optimism, sure he would be back ski racing in a year at most. Guess what? Reality happened. It is almost two years and his leg is not the same. He can ski recreationally but that is it. I always felt that Evan is not physically the same as he was before the injury, just like my son.

It is something you cannot know in advance, how well you will heal from a difficult injury. Kids are always so optimistic. Think of Alissa Czisny's hip repair. It didn't allow her to return to skating.

It is true that it isharder to lift 120 lbs than to lift 100 lbs. I always felt that was what the problem was, but there is no way the guy can say that.

That is very true. How can anyone mention that sensitive thing called weight? While Emily isn't overweight by any means and no one is saying that, that 10-20 pounds extra makes the whole difference. I do strength training, and when my trainer adds 1 pound, I am gasping.

There were a few skaters who tore their Achilles. I can only recall Surya atm. They were never the same. The formidable Surya was never a contender again.

Just like other posters have mentioned, Evan probably couldn't trust Emily again psychologically, even if she didn't consciously intend to harm him. There could have been other sources of tension, and the accident was just the boiling point for the split.

After all, they were a very promising pair. When was the last time an American team won the Junior Worlds? Not even D&W won Junior Worlds? If they split, there must have been very good reasons to do so.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
After all, they were a very promising pair. When was the last time an American team won the Junior Worlds? Not even D&W won Junior Worlds? If they split, there must have been very good reasons to do so.

Hawayek and Baker won Jr. Worlds last year.

Astrid56

Final Flight
That is very true. How can anyone mention that sensitive thing called weight? While Emily isn't overweight by any means and no one is saying that, that 10-20 pounds extra makes the whole difference. I do strength training, and when my trainer adds 1 pound, I am gasping.

There were a few skaters who tore their Achilles. I can only recall Surya atm. They were never the same. The formidable Surya was never a contender again.

Just like other posters have mentioned, Evan probably couldn't trust Emily again psychologically, even if she didn't consciously intend to harm him. There could have been other sources of tension, and the accident was just the boiling point for the split.

Evan and Emily won Junior Worlds in 2008. Madison and Greg won it the following year _ 2009. Five years later, the Americans won the 2014 JWC - Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker.

BlackPack

Medalist
Evan and Emily won Junior Worlds in 2008. Madison and Greg won it the following year _ 2009. Five years later, the Americans won the 2014 JWC - Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker.

Weren't they the first American team to do so?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Weren't they the first American team to do so?

How soon we forget. The following Americans won Junior Worlds in Ice Dance:

1998 Jessica Joseph & Charles Butler Jr., coached by Zhulin in NJ
1999 Jamie Silverstein & Justin Pekarek, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2002 Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2005 Morgan Matthews & Maxim Zavozin, coached by his mother, Elena Garanina
2008 Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates, coached by Yaroslava "Yasa" Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko
2009 Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2014 Kaitlyn Hawayek & Jean Luc Baker, coached by Angelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo

Several coaches have done the trick of training Junior World Champions..

Alba

Record Breaker
By the way doris, looking at the list above, I was wondering. Are there any promising american coaches in Ice Dance?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
By the way doris, looking at the list above, I was wondering. Are there any promising american coaches in Ice Dance?

I think Alexei Kiliakov and Elena Novak from the Wheaton Ice Dance Academy near Washington D.C. has done extremely well in juniors. But they have yet to have a high ranking team in the senior level. The teams there seem to have sound technique and Quinn/Carpenter, in particular, has had really interesting programs.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Alexei Kiliakov and Elena Novak from the Wheaton Ice Dance Academy near Washington D.C. has done extremely well in juniors. But they have yet to have a high ranking team in the senior level. The teams there seem to have sound technique and Quinn/Carpenter, in particular, has had really interesting programs.

No I mean americans, not russian or other nationalities origins.
USA has a great tradition in modern dance, so I was curious to know how are they doing in that field as coaches.

BlackPack

Medalist
How soon we forget. The following Americans won Junior Worlds in Ice Dance:

1998 Jessica Joseph & Charles Butler Jr., coached by Zhulin in NJ
1999 Jamie Silverstein & Justin Pekarek, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2002 Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2005 Morgan Matthews & Maxim Zavozin, coached by his mother, Elena Garanina
2008 Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates, coached by Yaroslava "Yasa" Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko
2009 Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein, coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva
2014 Kaitlyn Hawayek & Jean Luc Baker, coached by Angelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo

Several coaches have done the trick of training Junior World Champions..

I didn't forget. I just didn't know :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No I mean americans, not russian or other nationalities origins.
USA has a great tradition in modern dance, so I was curious to know how are they doing in that field as coaches.

They're not Ice Dance coaches, I guess. :)

Meryl and Charlie worked with Derek Hough from Dancing with the Starts for their Finnstep SD. I thought he did some pretty good work. They've also done some work with someone who was So I Think They Can Dance...but I can't remember their names.

Seems most of the top Ice Dance coaches in the US are from Russia....I can't really think of some up-and-coming non-Russian US Dance coaches.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meryl and Charlie started with Seth Chafetz, a US coach thru their first year on the JGP and their first Jr. Worlds. Ron Ludington and his wife have coached for years. . The Cannuscio sisters and partners were coached by them.

Suzie Semanick coaches, as does Elizabeth Punsalan. I am sure there are others; I am not sure whether either Novak or Kiliakov were born in this country or not. We are a nation of immigrants, in any case. The only native American that might coach would be Naomi Lang :yes: ;)

Alba

Record Breaker

Meryl and Charlie worked with Derek Hough from Dancing with the Starts for their Finnstep SD. I thought he did some pretty good work. They've also done some work with someone who was So I Think They Can Dance...but I can't remember their names.

Seems most of the top Ice Dance coaches in the US are from Russia....I can't really think of some up-and-coming non-Russian US Dance coaches.

No I know they're not ID coaches. :biggrin: I meant the tradition is there so It's a bit strange there are not good coaches as well. But I suppose they have good coreographers though. I think Russia should borrow some. :yes:

Ha! Tell me about it.
My sister is an american citizen. :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tanith Belbin coaches in Marina's shop.

Ben Agosto coaches in Washington state, Mrs. P. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Tanith Belbin coaches in Marina's shop.

Yes, he does!

Also Charlie White will likely end up doing some coaching-- he's putting a toe in by working with the Shibutanis a little bit. I agree his presence is definitely known in their SD step sequence.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A non-Russian is Bourzat, who became a Team Shpilband coach in Michigan.

Agosto left Washington state. Now is coaching in Arizona -- based at Doug Ladret's rink.

ETA, press release annoucing that Agosto joined the Ice Den in Scottsdale, AZ:

They've also done some work with someone who was So I Think They Can Dance...but I can't remember their names. ....

Davis/White worked with Alex Wong from SYTYCD ... don't know if others as well.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight

I heard that the 'routine or steps' that he taught them did not really work for them and Marina did quite a bit of tweaking to make it work. But they said Derek did help them with 'expressions' to improve their chemistry.