2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01

MalAssada

Medalist
Wow! Please remind me how the thread started! :rolleye:

I really don't want to enter a discussion. Both have positive and negative points. I prefer Yulia's music, but Yuna's interpretation. Yulia's spins, Yuna's jumps. There is not a perfect skater.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is however the mythological creature who many whispered about in the Sochi threads. The legend of Yunia Kimnitskaya. Perfect lines, maturity, spins, FEET,FLUTZ were all worked out and the resulting 2.0 version refused all medals and instead preferred lithium batteries for operational purposes!!

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Well the Russians are dominating right now, so they have a lot of attention paid to them. What do you consider "over-the-top" criticism? I've seen both credit and criticism being given where they're due.

Sorry, had to run for the bus and couldn't reply until today. I know I read at least ten negative comments a day, especially about my favorite skaters that don't bug me because they either make it clear that the statements they're making are just their opinion or in someway critique in a beneficial way. I also appreciate comments where they may say things that I don't agree with but they also give credit where credit is due. Rather than those types of comments several people have written something like this where the only possible interpretation for most people is that they hate the skater and want to tear them down.

Posts I read yesterday:

"(Meagan Duhamel's) skating is ugly." After the best Canadian Pair's skate is recent history, what is the point of a post like this? Does it offer any insight, is it something most people would have problems saying straight to the skater's face? Yes. There was nothing else written in that post. Just a mean-spirited comment. Not only do I disagree with the viewpoint that is shown (someone who clearly doesn't like Meagan Duhamel's skating) but rather I am vehemently against the way it was expressed. Any other type of post like one's I've read before (and felt no need to comment on), where someone had said they didn't like it and then proceeded to elucidate why while not saying it like is was a true statement, rather like it was true for them, those I have no problem with. I read them, I consider the reasons, and then I decide none of it changes the reasons I like to watch them as a pair and I move on. I appreciate that they expressed a viewpoint without tearing the skater(s) down.

Also comments solely about appearance (like the post which compared Anna P. to swine) or costumes (not every comment but rather the ones that say categorically it was bad without allowing for the fact that many people will like it). I try never to make sweeping statements, which I think I've failed at a couple times when other posts enraged me with the disrespect I read, or to comment about skater's I haven't been able to enjoy watching. My comments would not help so I just don't make them.

This is an example of a post I had no problem reading. Do I disagree with the opinion expressed? Yes. But in spite of that I really appreciate how it showed that even though they don't like the skating they do admit that it was good in some respects.

"Anna really, really needs to work on her presentation skills. She looked down for most of the program and barely acknowledged the music. Technically, it was pretty good (other than the spins), but I was not drawn into the program in the least."

Also this one: "Pogo's jumps are great, but I really wish she would engage with the music (and her face! You're gorgeous, girl, make a facial expression!) more."

And this one: "Happy for Pogo, but she can really improve on her IN. And I wish Satoko had been ahead of Ashley, but I'll have to see the scoresheets..." This one especially because he/she shows that while they think Satoko should have been second from their general impression they are going to check to see how levels and other details may have factored.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
There is however the mythological creature who many whispered about in the Sochi threads. The legend of Yunia Kimnitskaya. Perfect lines, maturity, spins, FEET,FLUTZ were all worked out and the resulting 2.0 version refused all medals and instead preferred lithium batteries for operational purposes!!

:laugh: I can't stop laughing! Can u add Mao to the name thing you made up?

lady_bee

Medalist
Wow! Please remind me how the thread started! :rolleye:

I really don't want to enter a discussion. Both have positive and negative points. I prefer Yulia's music, but Yuna's interpretation. Yulia's spins, Yuna's jumps. There is not a perfect skater.

Well said:clap:and thank you for saving my day.
It's 6:44 am and I've been getting depressed by reading this thread.
It's true that there is not a perfect skater, all three girls on the podium delivered their own strength.
I am looking forward to watch their next competition.

P.S.
I agree with Mrs.P's comment about "skating big".
I attended few ice shows last summer, and I've found out & amazed how (retired) veterans like Caro, Rochette, Pang & Tong were skating soooo big, and some on my young favorites, including Yuzuru and Javi, were skating not so big.
Since then, I've been limiting my comment only on superficial things like costumes.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Yesterday I could not believe my eyes when I read all these posts about make-up and mean comments about the appearances. All girls are beautiful. And as one of the CBC commentators said last year about Julia's LP: if she skates like this, I don't care what she's wearing, even a potato sac. The same can be said here: if Anna and Satoko skate like this, present their programs like yesterday, I don't care what they are wearing or how they look.

Some final thoughts about the top 3 programs:

Anna: wow, that was a real firebird. If you are familiar with the firebird in the slavic folklore, that was it: the bird is held captive in the golden cage, but she's the one that can't be caught with bare hands because she's all fire and power. And the skate was the epitome of the essence of the firebird. But Anna also lacks flexibility in her movements and spins, which makes her look less refined and a bit "wooden". I don't know if she can improve it drastically, but her spins are getting better and I see some positive effect. So, with a little more plasticity she's ll bring this world on fire. But I expect it will take her a couple of years to fully blossom.

Ashley: it was a real Broadway number - with staged poses, big entrances, and exaggerated gestures, with hands up in the air and the pauses before the anticipated elements. These all suited the music and her character perfectly. Really nice balance. If you like Broadway-ish performances, you'll enjoy it. But I do understand why some people found it empty: it's a kind off like a show number: at first nothing is going on, but then you know that "the big beautiful something" is coming, and here it comes. I also find "hands up in the air" quite distracting. Although Plushenko said that hands should not be ever below the waist because hands up in the air express the joy of skating and hands below the waist are for speed skaters only, this time there was too much "hands in the air". It looked artificial sometimes.

Satoko: what a well-done program! She was so smooth and elegant, and yet subtle in her interpretation. I have no problem with her looking that young and being that small: I do not think that's really a problem in her case. But I do agree that her skating looked small. I do not really know why, but she doesn't look commanding on the ice. I don't think the size is the problem: some skaters are small (Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Liza, Tara), but their skating doesn't look small (at least, to me). I blame it on experience.

Overall, good event!

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
Sorry, I had no idea my comment would start all this…lol Ok, the only reason why I compared Yulia to Kim, was because someone mentioned how “junorish” Yulias skating is. By comparing their programs I wanted to state that at 15, a program like SL about the holocaust and all the terrible things that happened is very mature compared to a tango dance. I was not trying to throw dirt at Kim or anyone else. Obviously, Kim is one of the best and most successful skaters out there. Yulia is just staring off, but already in her first senior year, she’s won medals that included an olympic gold and a world silver. I don’t think any “junorish” skater could pull that off. :rolleye:

And as for Mao, I never compared Yulia to her. Obviously there’s no question that Mao was a technical prodigy. That’s one of the reasons why skaters, including Adelina, admire her. :cool:

Barb

Record Breaker
You really think Yulia looks 10? Have you seen this video where she is ten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8T31b3LSg

10 at 0:32, 11 at 1:03, 13 at 1:21, 14 at 2:30, 15 at 3:43 and 4:04,

and 16, here http://vk.com/photo69994512_338448669

When she was 10, looks like 7, but she is cute, now at 16 I think she really looks like 16, I showed her new SP to my sister and immediatly she said ¨she grew up¨. She is really changed of the last season to this season .

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Satoko should have the highest PCS and silver overall. They really hate her. Ashley program is so empty. Her TR should be in the 5s.
Anna is so rough, it's incredible that her PCS are always 5 points too high. And her jumps are tiny. Her combo barely clear the ice like satoko.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch

I can't stop laughing! Can u add Mao to the name thing you made up?

@SashaJuliaSpins
I cannot take credit for the mythology of Yunia Kimnitskaya therefore I dare not alter the name for fear of Yulia Deathglares and Yuna Kim fan attacks. I am however a fan of both of there styles of skating. Mao too of course who I hope to see make a return.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Satoko looks 12 comparing to Anna Pogo and Ashley. In the medals ceremony the difference is huge. The judges are just human, I think they are also easily impressed by big jumps and looks.

Agreed. I don't think it's as much her height as that her body looks like it hasn't gone through puberty yet. That's why she looks 12.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
When she was 10, looks like 7, but she is cute, now at 16 I think she really looks like 16, I showed her new SP to my sister and immediatly she said ¨she grew up¨. She is really changed of the last season to this season .

I've noticed this with many people, depending on their height and how they grow into their facial features, some children/young adults can "look" so many different ages. Take me and my sister for example when I was 16/17 and she was 12/13 many people thought it was the other way around. And now when I am 24 many people still think I'm 16/17. So I usually hesitate to say people look at certain age and just say they look young or mature based on the age range I think thy're probably in.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sorry, had to run for the bus and couldn't reply until today. I know I read at least ten negative comments a day, especially about my favorite skaters that don't bug me because they either make it clear that the statements they're making are just their opinion or in someway critique in a beneficial way. I also appreciate comments where they may say things that I don't agree with but they also give credit where credit is due. Rather than those types of comments several people have written something like this where the only possible interpretation for most people is that they hate the skater and want to tear them down.

Posts I read yesterday:

"(Meagan Duhamel's) skating is ugly." After the best Canadian Pair's skate is recent history, what is the point of a post like this? Does it offer any insight, is it something most people would have problems saying straight to the skater's face? Yes. There was nothing else written in that post. Just a mean-spirited comment. Not only do I disagree with the viewpoint that is shown (someone who clearly doesn't like Meagan Duhamel's skating) but rather I am vehemently against the way it was expressed. Any other type of post like one's I've read before (and felt no need to comment on), where someone had said they didn't like it and then proceeded to elucidate why while not saying it like is was a true statement, rather like it was true for them, those I have no problem with. I read them, I consider the reasons, and then I decide none of it changes the reasons I like to watch them as a pair and I move on. I appreciate that they expressed a viewpoint without tearing the skater(s) down.

Also comments solely about appearance (like the post which compared Anna P. to swine) or costumes (not every comment but rather the ones that say categorically it was bad without allowing for the fact that many people will like it). I try never to make sweeping statements, which I think I've failed at a couple times when other posts enraged me with the disrespect I read, or to comment about skater's I haven't been able to enjoy watching. My comments would not help so I just don't make them.

This is an example of a post I had no problem reading. Do I disagree with the opinion expressed? Yes. But in spite of that I really appreciate how it showed that even though they don't like the skating they do admit that it was good in some respects.

"Anna really, really needs to work on her presentation skills. She looked down for most of the program and barely acknowledged the music. Technically, it was pretty good (other than the spins), but I was not drawn into the program in the least."

Also this one: "Pogo's jumps are great, but I really wish she would engage with the music (and her face! You're gorgeous, girl, make a facial expression!) more."

And this one: "Happy for Pogo, but she can really improve on her IN. And I wish Satoko had been ahead of Ashley, but I'll have to see the scoresheets..." This one especially because he/she shows that while they think Satoko should have been second from their general impression they are going to check to see how levels and other details may have factored.

Yes, I say that & recommend others do the same because I admit that a lot of the time my opinion changes after looking over the scoresheets & looking back over the program a second (or third) time. It's hard to consider every factor the first go-around... at least for me.. :eek::

MiRé

Match Penalty
You really think Yulia looks 10? Have you seen this video where she is ten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8T31b3LSg

10 at 0:32, 11 at 1:03, 13 at 1:21, 14 at 2:30, 15 at 3:43 and 4:04,

and 16, here http://vk.com/photo69994512_338448669

She still looks like a cute 10 year old in SL like in the video you linked. And that photo of her is filtered...filtering makes you look old.

Sorry, I had no idea my comment would start all this…lol Ok, the only reason why I compared Yulia to Kim, was because someone mentioned how “junorish” Yulias skating is. By comparing their programs I wanted to state that at 15, a program like SL about the holocaust and all the terrible things that happened is very mature compared to a tango dance. I was not trying to throw dirt at Kim or anyone else. Obviously, Kim is one of the best and most successful skaters out there. Yulia is just staring off, but already in her first senior year, she’s won medals that included an olympic gold and a world silver. I don’t think any “junorish” skater could pull that off. :rolleye:
And as for Mao, I never compared Yulia to her. Obviously there’s no question that Mao was a technical prodigy. That’s one of the reasons why skaters, including Adelina, admire her. :cool:

You compared Yulia to Yuna because you saw my avatar and tried to find a way to make me feel offended not because someone mentioned how "juniorish" Yulia is. Don't worry, you're not the first to do so.

Skating to SL doesn't mean you're mature. Skaters' music choices do not define their skating skills. Yulia looks juniorish because she is tiny, her jumps are tiny, and her jumps look rough and not effortless. I'm not the only one who thinks this
Small jumps and tiny frame which makes she look junior-ish.

No one is doubting her phenomenal results in her first senior year, but that does not justify her "maturity."

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would really like an opinion of someone who was actually in the arena. From the SkAm thread, you can see my impression was different in the arena than those watching on TV. I'd hazard to guess there's a reason for the differential between Miyahara, Wagner, a Pogorilya that can't be determined from TV

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Wagner got majorly overscored. I don't get how she has such high PCS. The program really was nothing special. Same old same old, except even worse than last year and both of the songs are horrible.

Pogorilaya did very very well and better than last year. 2A still problematic.

Miyahara should have been scored higher. Especially her FS was far above Wagner's. It's not her fault she's small.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would really like an opinion of someone who was actually in the arena. From the SkAm thread, you can see my impression was different in the arena than those watching on TV. I'd hazard to guess there's a reason for the differential between Miyahara, Wagner, a Pogorilya that can't be determined from TV

I know CoyoteChris and Paul_E were both there. They are probably still in Kelowna. They will probably be traveling tomorrow.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yulia looks juniorish because she is tiny, her jumps are tiny, and her jumps look rough and not effortless. I'm not the only one who thinks this.
No one is doubting her phenomenal results in her first senior year, but that does not justify her "maturity."
Because you quoted me so I have to repeat again: Among many reasons why Yulia's SL worked, one was thanked to her junior-ish.
I never said Yulia looked mature (and no I didn't mention Yuna so spare me). I said SL worked thanked to her youthfulness (heck, even ESPN commentators said so). The programs played to her strength and she benefited from it rightfully. The point is, Yulia's team didn't try to make her look mature, but they tried to show-off her strength and it worked.

Back to the topic, Satoko.

I like Satoko's LP very very much. I have rewatched it many times. But seriously I can't help but thinking of her as a kid playing the role of a women. With Yulia it's different, it's a kid playing the role of a kid and I don't know how to explain but it simply worked, even to people who don't like her or don't like the music. And even though Yulia is a small girl, she's still 1m60, no 1m45. Her jumps might be small, but still bigger and fully more rotated than Satoko IMO.

The point is, I do think Satoko has it. She is just 16. She's small but so was Midori Ito (1m45 as well). She can make it but it might take her a while. Satoko will have to work harder on her jumps than other ladies, because of reputation judging. I am sure even Kostner now and then UR some of her jumps but were overlooked, thanks to her reputation. Skaters with UR reputation are judged more harshly. For example, Jason Brown might be judged very OFTEN on his jumps than Javi or PChiddy even though these top men might UR their jumps now and then. Sadly so but it's the reality.

So yes, skaters who have tiny frame does have some handicap because let's be honest, they look junior-ish among the top contenders. But it's not like they couldn't overcome it, time and consistency will help their PCS for sure.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 191.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 186.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 181.75 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 174.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Rika HONGO (JPN) - 171.47 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
6. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 164.15 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
7. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 156.22 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 146.80 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 143.43 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 142.25 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 139.67 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 136.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony