2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens FS 11/22 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens FS 11/22

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Kovtun for his second GP win this season!!! WOW, what a fighting spirit he has!!! Very disappointed in Ten, maybe he just can´t handle a freeskate after winning the sp.....? Mental strength he would need, but if one does not have it, it´s hopeless. Now he even did not make the GPF, OMG. Machida was a negative surprise, too. I expected him to win. Did Kovtun manage to scare the rest with his awesome freeskate???

In NHK we have Hanyu, Voronov and Mura battling for the remaining GPF spots... Hopefully they all medal!!!

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Portuguese eurosport commentators are obsessed with girls weight and height. Oh and also age difference in pairs. Last week they basically called Mirai Nagasu fat. This weekend the target was Charlene Guignard. So annoying.

Where is the ,,I hate you, I am so angry'' smiley?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Every time he does a quad he fights any kind of good technique! But he gets them done. The contortions are crazy. He fights for them. Lol.

He's a fighter because he didn't give up after his disasterous SP and 6th place. He was focused and actually won the event with clean FS. He did everything he could while others failed. That's what I meant. I don't know what you're trying to tell me with this reply, and why you quoted my post in the first place tbh.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kovtun, however, is also prone to bombing and inconsistency as well. This is a guy who can win Russian nationals in one moment, then get beat by both of his teammates at Europeans in the next. Or in the 2012-2013 season, go from winning at JGPF then go 5th at nationals then go 4th at Europeans and then 17th (!!) at Worlds.

I don't see a what if scenario with either Hanyu or Machida that is comparable to Ashley vs. the other girls situation. They already have scored in the 170s and 180s in the FS. They have medaled at Worlds. Maxim has not. Maxim deserves props for seizing the opportunity and skating well today, but he's hardly a sure bet for anything (and neither are the rest of the men, clearly.)

He's certainly prone to errors, but he's gotten the job done in both his GP events this season. Last season, he was never lower than 5th, which isn't bad considering it was his first full senior season.

As far as his 17th finish, for a junior fast-tracked to senior Worlds he actually did pretty well in the FS, landing both quads and both axels (slight error on the second one). His PCS was abysmal (of course, being a junior), so even that couldn't save him. It was incredibly stupid of Russia to send a relatively inexperienced junior to senior Worlds with the pressure of placing top 10 to get 2 spots (even his personal best at the time wouldn't have placed top 10 at 2013 Worlds), and it's unfortunate how it ends up constantly being brought up as a strike against him.

One thing of note is that he's actually rotating his quads this year instead of popping them... that really held him back last season. So, essentially that gives him one of the highest base values in the field. His PCS will hold him back (as it should since his program is pretty meh for me), but with more clean skates that will gradually climb. If he repeats that at Euros, his PCS will be around 85. His huge BV in the SP and LP is why I was pretty confident that he would win events this season, although he has depended on others tanking.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Every time he does a quad he fights any kind of good technique! But he gets them done. The contortions are crazy. He fights for them. Lol.

His posture going into them is awkward, but clearly if he's able to execute the quads it's working for him. Ito's leg wrap wasn't the prettiest but she still got the job done. I also noticed that Kovtun's one of the few guys to do transitions after each quad, so while the takeoff might look wild, at least the landing is controlled.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't count of any big score from Hanyu at NHK if he will go. Propably he will not even be attempting quads with current physical state ( or I hope so)

Oh he'll definitely be attempting quads. And I have a feeling he'll have a strong comeback. He's got a lot of pressure to perform, but hopefully home support will result in a good performance. My one hope (other than him staying healthy) is that if he (or any other guy) does happen to bomb they will not be held up over more deserving skaters. While CoC was painful to watch, the worst was that he got 2nd for not one but two terrible programs -- it's astounding that Chafik's clean SP scored 4 points less than Hanyu's disastrous CoC SP... darn IJS.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He's a fighter because he didn't give up after his disasterous SP and 6th place. He was focused and actually won the event with clean FS. He did everything he could while others failed. That's what I meant. I don't know what you're trying to tell me with this reply, and why you quoted my post in the first place tbh.

It was to make a joke that kovtun is a fighter in that he's created new ways of doing quads to do well!!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
It was to make a joke that kovtun is a fighter in that he's created new ways of doing quads to do well!!

At least he's doing them. Maybe his quads are not a piece of art but they still have the same BV when landed good. :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
He's certainly prone to errors, but he's gotten the job done in both his GP events this season. Last season, he was never lower than 5th, which isn't bad considering it was his first full senior season.

As far as his 17th finish, for a junior fast-tracked to senior Worlds he actually did pretty well in the FS, landing both quads and both axels (slight error on the second one). His PCS was abysmal (of course, being a junior), so even that couldn't save him. It was incredibly stupid of Russia to send a relatively inexperienced junior to senior Worlds with the pressure of placing top 10 to get 2 spots (even his personal best at the time wouldn't have placed top 10 at 2013 Worlds), and it's unfortunate how it ends up constantly being brought up as a strike against him.

One thing of note is that he's actually rotating his quads this year instead of popping them... that really held him back last season. So, essentially that gives him one of the highest base values in the field. His PCS will hold him back (as it should since his program is pretty meh for me), but with more clean skates that will gradually climb. If he repeats that at Euros, his PCS will be around 85. His huge BV in the SP and LP is why I was pretty confident that he would win events this season, although he has depended on others tanking.

You are talking about the free skate in 2013 worlds when the problem was more the sp! He's the one who did 3t and made it a combo! So that's the strike against him. He's the one who did the horrible sp. lowest Tes in the sp too. blaming russian fed for their bad decision is justified but he was given a huge gift and blew it. He didn't deserve to be at worlds at all. He didn't even deserve to be sent to euros that got him sent to worlds. Russian nationals 2013 showed he was not ready.

His posture going into them is awkward, but clearly if he's able to execute the quads it's working for him. Ito's leg wrap wasn't the prettiest but she still got the job done. I also noticed that Kovtun's one of the few guys to do transitions after each quad, so while the takeoff might look wild, at least the landing is controlled.

Yes he has something equal to but what looks much worse than leg wrap.

He has lucked out. He bombed lp in china and sp in France and hasn't won delivering two good programs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You are talking about the free skate in 2013 worlds when the problem was more the sp! He's the one who did 3t and made it a combo! So that's the strike against him. He's the one who did the horrible sp. lowest Tes in the sp too. blaming russian fed for their bad decision is justified but he was given a huge gift and blew it. He didn't deserve to be at worlds at all. He didn't even deserve to be sent to euros that got him sent to worlds. Russian nationals 2013 showed he was not ready.

Yes he has something equal to but what looks much worse than leg wrap.

He has lucked out. He bombed lp in china and sp in France and hasn't won delivering two good programs.

Wow, you clearly have it out for him. He had a bad FS in CoC, but it wasn't bombing -- he still did a quad and two 3As ... he wouldn't have won the LP (and not just over Hanyu, all the other guys too) if it was a true bombing. Amodio's TEB FS was a "bombing"... Hanyu's CoC FS was a "bombing", as was Lip's CoC FS. Kovtun fell on his 4S and tripled his 4T, but still did a 3T+2T. It's essentially as though his layout had "only" 2 quads (which he fell on one) and he did a 3T+2T which would have been worth essentially the same as a 3F(e)+2T. And yes, he gave up some points on the 3A+1T too. But everything was executed for the most part.

Hey, I get that you're super upset that Kovtun's actually winning events, but to say he hasn't won delivering two good programs using a sample size of just 2 competitions (both of which he won, mind you) isn't very fair.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh he'll definitely be attempting quads. And I have a feeling he'll have a strong comeback. He's got a lot of pressure to perform, but hopefully home support will result in a good performance. My one hope (other than him staying healthy) is that if he (or any other guy) does happen to bomb they will not be held up over more deserving skaters. While CoC was painful to watch, the worst was that he got 2nd for not one but two terrible programs -- it's astounding that Chafik's clean SP scored 4 points less than Hanyu's disastrous CoC SP... darn IJS.
His SP at CoC was no where near a disaster as Kovtun's SP at TEB. :rolleye: in casual eyes it was much easier to the eyes than anything Kovtun did in his SP. Some people seem to forget that Yuzuru started his 2013-2014 season with 80.04 points for SP at Skate Canada, only to go on and win GPF, OG and WG latter. So I think it's normal for him to start slowly.

And let's not forget PChiddy started 2013-2014 season by winning both of his GP. :p

People shouldn't expect Yuzuru to go GPF repeatedly since he is in such condition. Let's be realistic, he'd better stay at home at the moment. And I lol at Hanyu having a strong come back. Sorry but jinxing doesn't work that way. Since Yuzuru has just started to walk again several days ago (reported by JSF) How the hell he can train for his high leveled programs in less than 1 week? Sounds surreal.:rolleye:

To compete in that condition is just simply stupid. I doubt that the doctor would let Yuzuru compete. To be frankly many people are afraid he might miss even the Nationals. :disapp: (obviously he will go to Nationals, but in which form?)

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
Ah yes, Kovtun, he who loves re-tweeting tweets of fans praising him. He also seems to have a strange obsession with teasing Plushy's wife. I find him rather amusing and entertaining as a person. I just dislike his skating, but not enough to be that annoyed. Overall, I view him as a transitional figure in Russian mens skating.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ah yes, Kovtun, he who loves re-tweeting tweets of fans praising him. He also seems to have a strange obsession with teasing Plushy's wife. I find him rather amusing and entertaining as a person. I just dislike his skating, but not enough to be that annoyed. Overall, I view him as a transitional figure in Russian mens skating.
I don't know Russian so I have no say in whatever Kovtun has done on Social network. But to be frankly I see that both Adian Pitkeev and Alexandre Petrov as haing more talents and charm than Kovtun. They are young but their presence on ice are not the like of "boring/angry/terrified of the ice" as I see in Kovtun.