2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs FS 11/22 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs FS 11/22

gold12345

Medalist
That was such a good pairs competition. I wasn't expecting an event that good on the GP this year- several strong skates from strong teams. I think a solid Sui/Han could outscore a perfect Stolbova/Klimov, but they opened the door a little with a somewhat shaky 3STh and SBS 3T combo, and a Lvl 3 lift. It definitely seems that PCS is affected by how the team executes their technical content. S/H absolutely have better throws and twists, but S/K's SBS jumps are bigger with better flow. S/K had a more seamless quality today, and that throw to end the program is impressive. But both teams were great, and Wang/Wang were strong as well, even with watered down jumps. The only bigger concern for W/W down the road may be the 10 yr age difference, especially since she's still very young.

For US pairs, it was great to see Scimeca/Knierim skate well and set a personal best, with still a good amount of room to improve. Hopefully that will help their confidence, because sometimes they have appeared a little too tense, maybe because they haven't skated together very long. I find them promising in part because Alexa has such a natural athleticism and spring to her elements, and Chris lifts her with ease. US pairs are often a little mismatched, but they look right for each other. It's a shame that they couldn't medal here, as today's good skate would have been enough to medal at pretty much all the other GPs this year.

Love the American's reactions though I though they were generously marked compared to the French. They don't have the polish, or interpretation and power of the top teams yet.

James/Cipres were strong today, but were more shaky in the second half of the program and really slowed down in the final lifts. Scimeca/Knierim have a much better twist, stronger throws, better ice coverage on lifts, a better death spiral than J/C... If anything, I thought S/K's TES today could have been a tad higher. Far weaker twists than theirs get +1s, and yet today they had a few +1s mixed in with their usual +2s, +3. But at least something like that didn't affect the overall outcome.

I agree with the poster about MT M - why did she switch??? I know she wanted to skate in more olympics but she should have given Dylan a chance they probably would have broken the Susan Lucci curse and got a medal this year had they stayed together or at least a good chance after being fourth two years in a row (ouch).

Yeah, it seems like a missed opportunity there. Maybe Moore-Towers feared that someone else would partner with Marinaro if she had waited 1 or 2 more seasons to see if she could get on the world podium with Moscovitch. It might have been worth that risk though, especially since there were unlikely to be many other partner options for Marinaro in Canada. Moscovitch has also stated that he wants to compete another full Olympic cycle, but it sounds like Moore-Towers was convinced that he wouldn't hold up that long and that Marinaro was a better long-term option. There's probably more to this than we will ever know. When you're training with someone every day, there must be a lot more to weigh aside from just what immediate competitive results you can get.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, it seemed like a missed opportunity there. Maybe Moore-Towers feared that someone else would partner with Marinaro if she had waited 1 or 2 more seasons to see if she could get on the world podium with Moscovitch. It might have been worth that risk though, especially since there were unlikely to be many other partner options for Marinaro in Canada. Moscovitch has also stated that he wants to compete another full Olympic cycle, but it sounds like Moore-Towers was convinced that he wouldn't hold up that long and that Marinaro was a better long-term option. There's probably more to this than we will ever know. When you're training with someone every day, there must be a lot more to weigh aside from just what immediate competitive results you can get.

Silver lining and all the jazz but the fact that the breakup allowed Moscovich to partner with Lubuv Iliushechkina and get her back in action, is a huge plus for me.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Y'know, it's interesting how short people's memories are. All the complaints about "Only the Russians are overscored!!" ...and then minutes later, there is a complaint about Ashley's PCS, or another reference to Hanyu at Cup of China...

Me, now? I'm so glad to hear Sui/Han had a good skate. Still catching up on everything (deciding to skip ice dance this time... no couples I'm interested in), but I'll probably need my new favourite pairs to cure me after hearing about the ladies free skates. :slink:

I think so. I really liked English version better.

The french lyrics are very good though. I mean, the whole musical's text itself. Maybe it's because people aren't used to it but personally, I knew it first in french and it rings better for me :). Specially Belle and Danse Mon Esmeralda.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree Sui/Han should get higher PCS, but I don't think Stoblova/Klimov should get much lower PCS.

I don't know. I liked both performances and it would have been great for Sui/Han's score to be higher....I guess compromise everyone at 135?1

I liked both performances as well. I think S/K's bigger skating generated higher PCS but I think it was more a case of S/H lowballed on PCS. In any case they made an error so S/K winning isn't unjustified. And like I said earlier, S/K are one of those teams that if they skate clean, they'll win. I did think Sui/Han with a better combo and better 3S throw could have really put the heat on them. Nevertheless we should be thrilled at such a good pairs competition!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
The french lyrics are very good though. I mean, the whole musical's text itself. Maybe it's because people aren't used to it but personally, I knew it first in french and it rings better for me :). Specially Belle and Danse Mon Esmeralda.

Yes, I like French version too. But somehow English version fit them better, at least that's the feeling I get when they skate.

I liked both performances as well. I think S/K's bigger skating generated higher PCS but I think it was more a case of S/H lowballed on PCS. In any case they made an error so S/K winning isn't unjustified. And like I said earlier, S/K are one of those teams that if they skate clean, they'll win. I did think Sui/Han with a better combo and better 3S throw could have really put the heat on them. Nevertheless we should be thrilled at such a good pairs competition!

Yes, it's true. But don't forget S/K lost some levels too. And S/K will add some elements later this season or next maybe season. She said in interview that they practice 3S and they do solid 4STh.
So I can see that both couples will progress both TES and PCS-wise.

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice

For US pairs, it was great to see Scimeca/Knierim skate well and set a personal best, with still a good amount of room to improve. Hopefully that will help their confidence, because sometimes they have appeared a little too tense, maybe because they haven't skated together very long. I find them promising in part because Alexa has such a natural athleticism and spring to her elements, and Chris lifts her with ease. US pairs are often a little mismatched, but they look right for each other. It's a shame that they couldn't medal here, as today's good skate would have been enough to medal at pretty much all the other GPs this year.

PERFECTLY said.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 209.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 200.68 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 181.97 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 179.32 Free Skate
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 167.88 Free Skate
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 161.13 Free Skate
7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 159.13
8. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 138.92

Medal Ceremony

laser

Spectator
Kirsten is thinking long term. Dylan is considerably older than her and, IIRC, didn't want to commit to the full Olympic cycle. Better to make the change now and have time to work the kinks out.

But anything that I have read in the media has Dylan saying that he fully intended to complete another Olympic cycle and that the split came as a surprise to him. This sentiment has been echoed several times on this board and others.

laser

Spectator
Yeah, it seems like a missed opportunity there. Maybe Moore-Towers feared that someone else would partner with Marinaro if she had waited 1 or 2 more seasons to see if she could get on the world podium with Moscovitch. It might have been worth that risk though, especially since there were unlikely to be many other partner options for Marinaro in Canada. Moscovitch has also stated that he wants to compete another full Olympic cycle, but it sounds like Moore-Towers was convinced that he wouldn't hold up that long and that Marinaro was a better long-term option. There's probably more to this than we will ever know. When you're training with someone every day, there must be a lot more to weigh aside from just what immediate competitive results you can get.

I don't disagree with your comments but the reality was that Marinaro was still partnered with Purdy when M-T called him so he wasn't out looking for a partner! Very strange that she didn't wait a year, do well with Moscovitch this year (reap Olympic benefit) and then see. M-T/M2 are not doing much better than P/M did (same type of mistakes being made and fairly similar scores) and they are doing MUCH worse than M-T/M

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

Yes, well said. I would love to see a real battle for the title at US Nationals this year between Haven/Denney and Scimeca/Knierim. I feel like there's potential in both those teams if they can just get some consistency.

Alba

Record Breaker
Y'know, it's interesting how short people's memories are. All the complaints about "Only the Russians are overscored!!" ...and then minutes later, there is a complaint about Ashley's PCS, or another reference to Hanyu at Cup of China...

Me, now? I'm so glad to hear Sui/Han had a good skate. Still catching up on everything (deciding to skip ice dance this time... no couples I'm interested in), but I'll probably need my new favourite pairs to cure me after hearing about the ladies free skates. :slink:

Sui/Han were really great. The only thing I don't like in that program is her frog position in one of the lifts. It's really ugly to see although well executed. The only thing that could be hurting them a bit is their image. He really does look small. The other Chinese pair are very lovely to watch too. :)

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Having seen the top 3 now, I must say, Sui/Han's LP wasn't as great as their SP, even when skated (mostly) clean. A lot of the tricks seemed to come in the beginning--which wouldn't be a problem, if the music hadn't taken until the end to build. Still, it was a fabulous skate and I expect great things in their future.

Stolbova/Klimov's program was actually the better choreographed one this time around. It's not particularly creative, but it was well-timed and powerful.

But my favourite to watch was actually Wang/Wang. Again, not the most interesting program, but the sheer joy they radiate when skating together... :love:

Sui/Han were really great. The only thing I don't like in that program is her frog position in one of the lifts. It's really ugly to see although well executed. The only thing that could be hurting them a bit is their image. He really does look small. The other Chinese pair are very lovely to watch too. :)
Yeah, I can see why it would be a problem when watching them live. On the screen I just get their expressive personalities, but in the arena they wouldn't project as well. Perhaps they can improve their speed and unison, which would make an impact. And maybe, when the judges get used to seeing them on the senior scene for a few seasons... ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But anything that I have read in the media has Dylan saying that he fully intended to complete another Olympic cycle and that the split came as a surprise to him. This sentiment has been echoed several times on this board and others.

Moore-Towers plans to compete for TWO more Olympic cycles, according to my understanding -- whereas Moscovitch sees himself competing for "only" one more.

M-T opted to find a new partner who would be in for the long haul with her.

Alba

Record Breaker
Kirsten is adorable. She was applauding the other pair while waiting to enter for her warm up. :) Their lifts look good and there is definitely a great improvement from their last competition.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 209.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 200.68 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 181.97 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 179.32 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 167.88 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 161.13 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 159.13 Free Skate
8. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 138.92 Free Skate