2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Polina looked a little off on her jumps tonight and lost a little steam after the first minute. The program fits her nicely though, and I actually like the dress...not usually a fan of pink. The crazy fast twizzles are awesome.

I agree on the fabulousness of those twizzles and that she was off tonight- jumps not as well-performed as usual, a bit slow with a lot of telegraphing into the jumps, and no sparkle or lyricism.

bixby

Final Flight
Polina looked tentative to me tonight, and fell once. She didn't have the same crispness and extension on her landings as she usually does, and there was very little performance quality- no facial expressions, tight and tense energy around her. The program has potential and some beautiful moments, but it felt a wee wee bit junior-ish to me- perhaps it was the pink frosting costume? Let me make it clear that I am a HUGE Paulina fan- I was a little disappointed by her showing tonight.

I was hoping she would rack up at least in the 130's to establish a strong impression internationally.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Rona Kato

3sal
Layback
2A
Footwork
3F- landed on 2 feet
2A2T
Spin
3Z- fall
3sal half step 2 loop
My feed starting to suck
Pixels
A shadowy figure

I think I misses her first jump trying watch and type lol

bixby

Final Flight
Rona Kato

3sal
Layback
2A
Footwork
3F- landed on 2 feet
2A2T
Spin
3Z- fall
3sal half step 2 loop
My feed starting to suck
Pixels
A shadowy figure

I think I misses her first jump trying watch and type lol

Oh, thank you for doing this. Really appreciate it.

Safe to assume Polina wins here.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Alaine Chartrand

Blue dress with gloves

3z half loop 2T
3F
3Loop - two footed
Spin
Camel change
Footwork
2A3T landed on two feet
2A
3Z two footed
Footwork
3Sal - Fall
Combo spin

shine

Record Breaker
Everyone PCS where well judge to me. Polina Edmunds doesn't deserve more than what she earn because there is a lot of telegraph in her jumps and the program miss the attack on the element that the others ladies in the competition have. Yes, she complete all her stuff, but the whole program miss the something magic that the others ladies bring into their program.
Plenty of magic for me. Besides, PCS is not based on magic.

shine

Record Breaker
I thought Mirai looked very strong for this time of year, and I think the program has loads of potential. This could be a great, classic program for Mirai with more consistency and time to really develop the performance aspect. I'm heartened by this showing for her!
Really? There's not much choreography in there at all, and looked totally thrown together last minute.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Final:

1. Polina Edmunds
2. Courtney Hicks
3. Riona Kato
4. Alanine Chartrand
5. Mirai Nagasu
6. Brooklee Han
7. Ashley Shin

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina looked a little slow tonight and sometimes i wonder how she lands her jumps since she doesn't have a lot of speed going into them and doesn't seem to have the power that Courtney or Gracie have. Polina's skating is almost too delicate. I think i prefer skaters who attack more. Yuna had both.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Sorry for misspellings. Gotta love iPhone autocorrect.

I tried my best:)

A little disappointed for Mirai but it's earl better mistakes now than at skate America.

Baffled that Courtney beat Polina in the long though...

bixby

Final Flight
Alaine Chartrand

Blue dress with gloves

3z half loop 2T
3F
3Loop - two footed
Spin
Camel change
Footwork
2A3T landed on two feet
2A
3Z two footed
Footwork
3Sal - Fall
Combo spin

Thank you! Thank you for pbp MK's Winter.

Brenda

On the Ice
Polina looked tentative to me tonight, and fell once. She didn't have the same crispness and extension on her landings as she usually does, and there was very little performance quality- no facial expressions, tight and tense energy around her. The program has potential and some beautiful moments, but it felt a wee wee bit junior-ish to me- perhaps it was the pink frosting costume? Let me make it clear that I am a HUGE Paulina fan- I was a little disappointed by her showing tonight.

The straight neckline does seem a little young, sweetheart necklines tend to be more flattering. But otherwise, I think pink is fine, though I would've preferred green. Loved the silver "wings" on the back. IMO, the junior-ishness is mostly due to her lack of facial expression today and the rather generic choreography.

Pink and a fairy theme doesn't necessarily have to be cutesy and junior-ish, but that's what we default to when there's little expression given. Perhaps Polina should watch the Sleeping Beauty ballet to see how adult ballet dancers portray different colored fairies with very distinct personalities. This program is too generically pretty and lyrical. With Polina's fairy being from Peter Pan, I think she could've made her interpretation more cheeky, playful, and impish. Tinker Bell should have a personality that threatens to explode out of the rink. Maybe adding in a slightly more exciting music cut could help.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Polina looked a little slow tonight and sometimes i wonder how she lands her jumps since she doesn't have a lot of speed going into them and doesn't seem to have the power that Courtney or Gracie have. Polina's skating is almost too delicate. I think i prefer skaters who attack more. Yuna had both.

She is normally pretty fast. I wonder how tall she is. I am tall and when I skated if I didn't have the speed I was under rotating.