2014 Worlds - Short Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Short Dance

whatif

Medalist
They lost at least 6+ points for that one element. Otherwise, they were on track to match that score at the least.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Apparently they are useless as not enough of them there. You need to take turns to get any rest there.

Partner Yelena puts it more succinctly, complaining of an excessively early start to training sessions forcing her to make personal preparations for the day uncomfortably close to the ice. “I even had to use a shared shower room,” she said

Kittosuni

Medalist
Even michael caluza said that the accommodation is not really good. Some skaters who doesnt get a turn to use the bed just rest wherever they can and visibly the top countries get priority. So sad

Meoima

Match Penalty
Even michael caluza said that the accommodation is not really good. Some skaters who doesnt get a turn to use the bed just rest wherever they can and visibly the top countries get priority. So sad
They can go back to hotels to rest, can't they?

BlackPack

Medalist
Not only are I&K plagued with rumors of the lack of discipline and problems with personality conflicts, but as far as ice dancing teams go, I&K have been error-prone throughout their career far more than others. They really only skated 1-2 clean competitions this season, not to mention their standard in the beginning was sub-par. At the Olympics they did have a slight, albeit negligible stumble that could have been penalized if it wasn't in Sochi.

So they lost the Euro and World titles when momentum and fortune favored them. Thank god they got the Sochi Bronze and Team Gold, because I suppose this is it since they're splitting.

Cappellini and Lanotte were magnificent. Their precision was incredible, as crisp as Marlie. I was surprised to see them in 1st ahead of W&P but after seeing their Saitama SD, C&L were indisputably the best and were in fact undermarked. They skated far better than W&P and were only a few tenths of a point ahead. I would be thrilled if W&P wins this whole thing though since their tango is one of the best ever and C&L's FD are generic. Fingers crossed.... after playing bridesmaids for so long I'd be happy to see these guys on the podium. They've been so patient and hard-working.

Matt K

On the Ice
Cappellini/Lanotte: they don't have the best edges, not the deepest edges (actually not very deep edges at all), and their programs are too open for me. This makes their skating look light and fast for the general audience but I still prefer skaters like I/K and P/B. JMO.

Since I/K usually have one bad performance in a competition maybe this was the SD and they will skate their best in the FD.
Imagine if I/K skate lights out in the FD with no mistakes. hyperinflation and the rest of the group-thinking GoldenSkaters will rage and eventually the board will blow to smithereens :laugh: .

BlackPack

Medalist
C&L have been criticized for their shallow edges forever, but their SD certainly showed that's not true anymore. The British Euro sport guys (being a former ice dancer) said that C&L's edges were correct and precise.

I&K.... just wasted talents. I think it will be damn hard to swallow that as long as they skated their programs correctly they would have been 2014 Euro and World Champions. Oh well, I guess the medals are for others who deserve it more.

I wish Bobrova and Soloviev a speedy recovery. I'd like to see them do better. Hopefully, they'll move to Michigan to train with Zoueva, Krylova, or Shpilband.

Matt K

On the Ice
C&L have been criticized for their shallow edges forever, but their SD certainly showed that's not true anymore. The British Euro sport guys (being a former ice dancer) said that C&L's edges were correct and precise.

Their edges are correct and precise, yes, but are not deeper or better than I/k and P/B. I think even the commentators would agree with that.

But this was a good performance from C/L. I don't mind them in 1st. Everyone else made mistakes so I don't have a problem with the marks.

Matt K

On the Ice
I think the main issue to me in terms of the PCS I/K received ( and the one on which I am having a VERY hard time understanding the argument that they deserved what they got no matter how much it is repeated) is P/E. The execution and performance were very good- until the last 30 seconds when they bombed. I'd have given them pretty much a zero for P/E for the last 30 seconds and maybe a 9 for the first 2 minutes. Therefore, I think they deserved at best an 8 for P/E and I personally would have knocked it lower- into somewhere in the 7's. I don't think it's valid to say 'but the rest of the program was awesome so 9 for them!' There was a glaring mistake that dramatically impacted the preformance and execution in the end of the program. I don't see how this can be glossed over or ignored.

:confused:
But they didn't get a 9 though. So it shows that judges did lower their PE mark for their botched element, no?
C/L and W/P, who had the 2 clean performances of the SD got much higher PE here than in Sochi. 9.14 and 9.00 vs. 8.75 and 8.79 in Sochi. So following this trend in marks, since I/K got 9.25 in Sochi, and they skated clean here, their PE marks would be around 9.5-9.64. But it dropped to 8s.

I don't think it's valid to say 'but the rest of the program was awesome so 9 for them!' There was a glaring mistake that dramatically impacted the preformance and execution in the end of the program. I don't see how this can be glossed over or ignored.

Matt K

On the Ice
8.89, statistically speaking is basically a 9.

C/L and W/P, who had the 2 clean performances of the SD got much higher PE here than in Sochi. 9.14 and 9.00 vs. 8.75 and 8.79 in Sochi. So following this trend in marks, since I/K got 9.25 in Sochi, and they skated clean here, their PE marks would be around 9.5-9.7. But it was not. It was 8.89.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
C/L and W/P, who had the 2 clean performances of the SD got much higher PE here than in Sochi. 9.14 and 9.00 vs. 8.75 and 8.79 in Sochi. So following this logic, since I/K got 9.25 in Sochi, and they skated clean here, their PE marks would be around 9.5-9.64. But it was not. It was 8.89.

You can't compare I/K w/ C/L and W/P based on a hypothetical performance. And certainly it's not reasonable to assume that if they skated clean they would got the same score. There's a reason people state it's not a great idea to compare across competitions.

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
You can't compare I/K w/ C/L and W/P based on a hypothetical performance. And certainly it's not reasonable to assume that if they skated clean they would got the same score. There's a reason people state it's not a great idea to compare across competitions.

Exactly. So why are people assuming that I/K didn't get dinged in PCS?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Exactly. So why are people hypothetically assuming that I/K didn't get dinged in PCS?

People are arguing that they were scored too high relative to how they performed for that dance that day, namely the last 30 seconds or so.

There is disagreement regarding this. People have provided logical conclusions on why they disagree. You may see things differently, but that's your opinion.

I'm going to just accept that we see things differently. I have nothing to gain by convincing you otherwise.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
I&K were held up. 5th place for a missed element worth around 6 points in a deep field isn't good. Looks the judges are still giving them the chance to win a bronze but .... really too bad. It was their biggest chance to win the whole thing.

Matt K

On the Ice
People have provided logical conclusions on why they disagree. You may see things differently, but that's your opinion.

The so called "logical conclusions" provided here were the people oddly assuming that I/K were not dinged in PCS. Even though their PE and CH mark were lower while everyone else's clean performances were higher.

BlackPack

Medalist
I disagree that P&B and I&K (with a very muddle-headed performance no less) have deeper edges than C&L at least in this SD segment. As far as natural affinity for depth of edge goes, I&K probably have it, but we all know their results and it's not always natural talent that wins championships. What C&L executed was actually executed was clean, crisp, and certainly deep during transitions.

BlackPack

Medalist
People are saying that I&K should have been more penalized for their big mistake, especially in PCS. Slightly lower PCS than usual just means the judges tried to look honest and fair, but the truth is I&K should have been much lower in the ranks. PCS would have been the place the judges could have given them "hidden" points to keep them up.