2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm probably one of few who loves Gilles/Poirier's FD. It enchants me. Yes it's not traditional, but it's still cool!

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe she got the times mixed up. Maybe she left the rink to be back in time and got caught in traffic. Maybe she overslept. Cut the girl a little slack I'm sure she isn't aiming to be a serial offender. Podium police :laugh2:

or maybe she didn't know she medalled lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Or her costume tore. Or a skate broke and she had no shoes suitable. or. ? She was there, which is all that is required.

chameleon

On the Ice
If she was intending to be disrespectful, why would she show up at all? She showed, that's all that really matters, I don't think she was trying to make a statement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did someone say she had a suitcase? Maybe she had a flight to catch?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did someone say she had a suitcase? Maybe she had a flight to catch?

Yes, she was waiting for Gorshkov (and Kolyada) near the boards with her suitcase as I'm sure they had the same flight (St. Petersburg) verses Moscow for everybody else. Their flight could have left earlier for all we know. And maybe she didn't have time to change from street clothes to costume back to street clothes.

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, she was waiting for Gorshkov (and Kolyada) near the boards with her suitcase as I'm sure they had the same flight (St. Petersburg) verses Moscow for everybody else. Their flight could have left earlier for all we know. And maybe she didn't have time to change from street clothes to costume back to street clothes.

That was my guess as well; I'm sure changing into costume, skates, hair, and makeup and then taking it all back off again takes awhile, so if they had to leave immediately for a flight she might not have had the time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And if that's the case, then go out and stand on the podium in your jeans and t-shirt at the very least! Throw on your team jacket and you'll look reasonable. It is completely disrespectful of her to not bother to go out there and stand on the podium.

I really don't understand why anyone thinks her behaviour was acceptable. It is not just about the rules, it is about basic respect and sportsmanship.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I really don't understand why anyone thinks her behaviour was acceptable. It is not just about the rules, it is about basic respect and sportsmanship.

Nobody here knows what happened, so I think it's more about giving her the benefit of the doubt and not trying to read anything sinister into the situation. We weren't there, we don't know the details. I do know that Maria isn't someone with a reputation for bad sportsmanship, and I can't believe that she wouldn't have been proud to stand on the podium, because it's not like she gets that many opportunities. Anyway, what do you want to happen, since you keep harping on this - do you think should she be stripped of her medal, banned from ISU competitions or something? :laugh2: I believe Julia had to pay a fine for the CoC podium no-show incident, but I don't know if that applies to a little senior B. Whatever the rules are, it's between her and the ISU.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't necessarily think it was acceptable... I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, since we don't know and aren't likely to know the details.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm probably one of few who loves Gilles/Poirier's FD. It enchants me. Yes it's not traditional, but it's still cool!

Well, I'm one of those few who is totally with you on this one. I love this programme and I adore that unconventional lift at the end. There's just something about this couple that I love and they have really rekindled my interest in ice dancing which had completely waned in recent years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Relatively few people watched Lombardia; it is not a Challengers series event, so of course no one talked about it.

viennaskater

Medalist
For somebody who is picturing the cast hanging on crosses, it is rather strange to have a tap dancing sequence in the middle of the song! Like, their feet are 6 foot off the ground, how are they supposed to tap dance?!

Re: Keegan Messing SP: That doesn't matter - the tap dance fits the rhythm of the music. I really liked it.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Nobody here knows what happened, so I think it's more about giving her the benefit of the doubt and not trying to read anything sinister into the situation. We weren't there, we don't know the details. I do know that Maria isn't someone with a reputation for bad sportsmanship, and I can't believe that she wouldn't have been proud to stand on the podium, because it's not like she gets that many opportunities. Anyway, what do you want to happen, since you keep harping on this - do you think should she be stripped of her medal, banned from ISU competitions or something? :laugh2: I believe Julia had to pay a fine for the CoC podium no-show incident, but I don't know if that applies to a little senior B. Whatever the rules are, it's between her and the ISU.

I don't necessarily think it was acceptable... I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, since we don't know and aren't likely to know the details.

:thumbsup:

viennaskater

Medalist
Do need to clarify: wasn't watching FS in 2011/12, (break time;)so I have no idea what Yuzu did. I'm just not feeling it for Igatenko on its own merits. In fact, the middle of the program lost me, so if that's what Yuzu did, wouldn't have liked his program either.

Yusuru Hanyu's FD in 2012 Worlds was so amazing, I was in tears - as was he, and probably a lot of the audience! He WAS "Romeo" out there!

uhh

Medalist
The trouble with trying to have folders for each of the Challengers series is that there are way too many of them.

But we will kick the situation around and try to improve the sitation. 100 page threads on 8 separate competitions is difficult to sort out.

I hope the bookmark links help a bit.

How about separate threads in this folder for each discipline at each event? So there would be Ondrej Nepela - Ladies, Ondrej Nepela - Pairs etc.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I haven't read your posts so I don't know how you fellow posters reacted to this, but I've just watched the Shibs' FD and I found it absolutely magnificent :love::points: Then I saw the score and I couldn't believe it (one judge gave them 9s, so at least I'm not the only one :dance:)... I think it could very well be my favourite program of theirs ever: finally something sophisticated, mature, completely different from what everyone else is doing!