2015 US Nationals Senior Men FS Jan 25 | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Men FS Jan 25

mskater93

Record Breaker
Josh got full credit for 4T in the LP, juse negative GOE for the turn out.

Adam got 4Lz < and 4Lz<< on his two attempts here.

Both have better PCS than Max in every category

There needs to be a steadying/experienced member of this World team if there's any hope of getting 3 spots and in this case its Adam...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not seeing how they are "two sides of the same" :scratch: I think they're very different in pretty much any aspect.

Artistic skaters without a quad. I don't mean to offend. I'm just saying that I don't think this US men's team is very strong, either now or in the future. Well, maybe Jason will get a quad. He is still young and very talented. But Adam and Josh, doubtful. Josh, maybe. He is young, too. I'm only too happy to be proven wrong about their success at this and future Worlds.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Artistic skaters without a quad. I don't mean to offend. I'm just saying that I don't think this US men's team is very strong, either now or in the future. Well, maybe Jason will get a quad. He is still young and very talented. But Adam and Josh, doubtful. Josh, maybe. He is young, too. I'm only too happy to be proven wrong about their success at this and future Worlds.

Josh did do a clean quad back in 2012 at JGP Lake Placid. http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpusa2012/jgpusa2012_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

So it's a matter of getting the jump back, not getting it mastered.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My point is that he had it some point. That quad looked great back then. I'm not sure what exactly happened.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
There needs to be a steadying/experienced member of this World team if there's any hope of getting 3 spots and in this case its Adam...

Adam as the steadying member? The guy who's biggest trick has a 40% succession rate in practice? Sounds more like he's the biggest wildcard of this trio to me.
Max would have been better as that part of the team, IMO. Right now, even without the quad, it's Jason.

jenaj, I even generally agree that Max would have been good for the worlds team. It's just that the question who should be left off is so hard to answer. I have the least faith in Adam, but he won the LP - can't argue with that. And for Josh, he even got credit for the rotation of the 4T in NHK this season, when he had by all means an awful jumping day. He might only have landed it with +GOE once, but I'm still quite optimistic he'll get the jump under his belt.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My point is that he had it some point. That quad looked great back then. I'm not sure what exactly happened.

But the issue is one competition does not really me he had it. Or I guess we have different opinons on what it means to have a jump. I mean my recollection is Chan for example has the triple axel moreso than Josh having the quad back in 2012.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If you could go with prototypes right know we have Jason who is essentially at this point a cheap complete skater back in the triple axel can win days of say a Buttle but I say cheap not as derogative but not the same level. He does not have the skating skills of Lambiel or Chan and Buttle who are the three skaters of more recent era who really are outstanding. ( I would suggest Hanyu stands alone in the next leave followed by the third tier - Brown, the other Japanese men and maybe Evan). Then you have a fairly artistic skater in Rippon who sort has the big trick and as well Josh.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I agree with the idea that Max would have been a welcomed addition to the World team to ensuring US its 3 spots for Boston but Josh and Adam did earn their spots. And its not like Max had a great GP series either so its hard to jusify sending him in place of the other 2. Placing 6th and 7th should be do-able if they do as well as they did in Nationals. And even if they underperform, the ice is slippery. Meltdown from others are entirely possible.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Ohh honey that is a laughable idea. I think even Adam would laugh at the idea of being a steadying member. I suspect he would not to steady people, I suspect he prefers to rile them up. Im sure he will do fine at keeping things light-hearted and keeping spirits up, but not sure steadying is a word he has any interest in being.

I think sending them both to 4Cs and Worlds will help them to solidify as a team and help support eachother. I don't think Adam is going to be a leader of the group, just a playful member of the stooges.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If you could go with prototypes right know we have Jason who is essentially at this point a cheap complete skater back in the triple axel can win days of say a Buttle but I say cheap not as derogative but not the same level. He does not have the skating skills of Lambiel or Chan and Buttle who are the three skaters of more recent era who really are outstanding. ( I would suggest Hanyu stands alone in the next leave followed by the third tier - Brown, the other Japanese men and maybe Evan). Then you have a fairly artistic skater in Rippon who sort has the big trick and as well Josh.

You don't mean to be derogatory by calling a Jason a cheap complete skater who lacks the skating skills of Chan, Lambiel and Buttle? But if you think his skating skills aren't that great and he doesn't jump well, what exactly are you trying to say?

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Josh actually has better jumps then Max does he just hasn't mastered the quad but his upside is so much more then Max especially when he's even close to being clean like the SP. He has world championship talent and everyone has always known it. That triple axel is insane.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shifting gears.

If anyone is hyper-concerned at this point about the state of American men, go look at videos from the European Men's Short.

Now that just wasn't a good show. From anyone. One, maybe two if you stretch your imagination, of those performances would have made the last flight at US Nats.

And I also don't want to hear any more about American inflation.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I think most people believe it is the Japanese men who are the biggest contenders for podium spots, generally speaking. They do not compete at Europeans, and I personally do not think the European male skaters are particularly strong in relation to American men.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, of course you are correct. And, rube that I am, I do know that Japan is not in Europe. :p

I was simply knee-jerking to a slew of really poor performances.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Javier obviously will beat the American man if he skates well. The Russians and maybe Brezina too, but that's all the threat Europe is at the moment. Four continents will be a pretty good preview of worlds (minus Hanyu, obviously).

Edit: because I said Javier will be an American, not beat them first :biggrin:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes it should be interesting, even without Hanyu, cause you got Shoma Uno...who had been competing as a junior for most of this season but has turned in some impressive scores.

Yan Han is good competition, of course. And Nam Nguyen, the new Canadian champ! And Denis Ten, who could be brilliant.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Josh did do a clean quad back in 2012 at JGP Lake Placid. http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpusa2012/jgpusa2012_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

So it's a matter of getting the jump back, not getting it mastered.

I am not sure you can say the fact Farris did a clean quad back in 2012 really means he had the quad. Some regularity is required in landing it.

"His numbers (with the quad) are 5-6 a day," said Damon Allen, who coaches Farris in Colorado Springs. "He owns the jump now. It's the most consistent it has ever been. ... He's been working harder, and also smarter."

The article was published before the men's segments had started last week, so it's not as if Damon Allen were getting swept away with post-bronze hyperbole.

Last edited: