2015 World Junior Championships Mens Free Skate March 7 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015 World Junior Championships Mens Free Skate March 7

Noolan

On the Ice
If this is the same judge, it's almost as if.... they are actually scoring them based on their individual skills..... An amazing new concept....
Yeah, and one judge even gave Samarin 8s while everyone was giving 6s. I like that guy/gal.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wooo, spit out those sour grapes please.
Sour grapes? Have you seen my posts on Boyang before today? :rofl: I certainly didn't come in wanting him to win (not even to podium!)

I don't have an issue with Shoma winning (even though I thought Boyang was incredible on the night and would have no issues if he'd won instead). Just pointing out that the judges would (likely) do everything in their power to have Shoma win. Just a fact.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If all the judges gave the same marks what would be the point in having multiple judges and WTH would we talk about. I'm with the idea of loving the judges that can spread the numbers out. One judge earlier this year gave Wakaba an 8 for SS and a 4.5 for TR. I was quite proud of that judge even though 4.5 is awful low.

#indiejudges

*Sorry I don't have an example from men. :slink:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Not an unexpected result for Russia, sadly. Pitkeev and Petrov aren't as good as Shoma and Boyang. They could fight Sota, but no luck this time. And I don't care what his scores are, but I love Samarin's skating :)

Shoma and Boyang are older. Last year Pitkeev & Petrov beat them, now they are dealing with growth spurts. They weren't as good today, but we will see what happens in the long run. Stephen Carriere and Andrei Rogozine won gold in juniors...just saying.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
If all the judges gave the same marks what would be the point in having multiple judges and WTH would we talk about. I'm with the idea of loving the judges that can spread the numbers out. One judge earlier this year gave Wakaba an 8 for SS and a 4.5 for TR. I was quite proud of that judge even though 4.5 is awful low.

#indiejudges

*Sorry I don't have an example from men. :slink:

:cheer2:

I'm so tired of seeing judges give similar scores for all 5 criteria. I mean come on. Once in a while is okay, but having every judge do that for each skater is absurd, there should be variety.

But I also think TES & PCS should be judged by different people (as the ISU had been trying out earlier in the season) since it's hard to score so many things in the short time frame.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congratulations to all medalists, especially Boyang and Sota, great jobs done!

Boyang, finally you can happily end your junior career with the shinny Jr. World medal. :) I'm really pleased with your efforts that you're not just jumping monster with quads. I'm kind of liking your FS music. Please show you and Han together to the world that Chinese assets are not just limited to pairs!
Sota, you don't have quads yet, but I like your huge and solid jumps with speed. I think you have a bright future too.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Do the judges still have to fall within that so-called "corridor" when scoring the components?

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Wow! Except from Shoma winning I didn't expect this podium. Congratulations to the medalists!!. I'm especially happy for Boyang since he is always critized from being only a jumping machine :p

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Wow! Except from Shoma winning I didn't expect this podium. Congratulations to the medalists!!. I'm especially happy for Boyang since he is always critized from being only a jumping machine :p

He is a jump machine, but I think we need a few of those to balance out all the emo lyrical skaters. :biggrin: If Wakaba can get away with it why not him?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He is a jump machine, but I think we need a few of those to balance out all the emo lyrical skaters. :biggrin: If Wakaba can get away with it why not him?

The great thing about Wakaba and Boyang this competition is that they landed their crazy content with flair.

If you are a jumper, well that's great. Land all your jumps. They did, and it really elevates a program to see those difficult jumps done right.

:cheer:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Nathan actually scored a point higher than he did last year. Yes the placement was lower, but considering his injuries, he didn't do too bad. I wonder if he will move up to seniors...

I wonder about that too. I would think the USFSA would want him to stay in the Junior Grand Prix, but I bet Nathan would like to be in the senior competitions. He still has some growing to do and his growth spurts have come with injuries. I think his health will be the deciding factor.

I'm thinking that heel is still bothering him. It was the most sore on the 3axel at Nationals (which is why he left them out). I think that's why he didn't try one in the free. I'm happy to see him trying the quads. I expect them to be more consistent next season.

USA was 4th and 10th - 2 slots next year?

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The great thing about Wakaba and Boyang this competition is that they landed their crazy content with flair.

If you are a jumper, well that's great. Land all your jumps. They did, and it really elevates a program to see those difficult jumps done right.

I think that's what I liked Boyang here, while I've never liked him before. His program works much better when he lands everything. Plus, he improved his speed and SS. Now he just needs the choreography and upper-body movement.

Bumdid

Record Breaker

Yes. Every country has their Kevin Reynolds/ Max Aaron/ Elvis Stojko. They key is being consistent and landing your jumps.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I am glad for Japan!

Imagine the national championships the next season! I do not even want to think about it....almost as competitive as the Russian ladies.

I am sad Boyang will not get a chance to go to senior Worlds in Shanghai. I believe it would have been a better choice.

And I am looking forward to see Vasilievs at senior events this year! Things are going so well for Latvia these days.

;)

Caustica

Final Flight
I am glad for Japan!

Imagine the national championships the next season! I do not even want to think about it....almost as competitive as the Russian ladies.

TBH the men's event at Japanese nats has been really competitive for some time! It's actually arguably less competitive now due to the retirements of Takahashi, Machida and Oda. But new stars are rising, yes... :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

That comparison makes little sense, given that Wakabas basic skating skills are very good, while Boyangs aren't (though he has improved, and I do like him).

So happy for Sota!!! :love:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That comparison makes little sense, given that Wakabas basic skating skills are very good, while Boyangs aren't (though he has improved, and I do like him).
But Boyang does much tougher content than his competitors, while Wakaba's content is about the same (she just does it with much better quality ;)). And Wakaba's competitors didn't make errors.

khlaw

Rinkside
Shoma was lucky that he's first jump was a downgraded-3T, not a 2T, otherwise he would zayak and...:shocked:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
But Boyang does much tougher content than his competitors, while Wakaba's content is about the same (she just does it with much better quality ;)). And Wakaba's competitors didn't make errors.

That's true, but it actually only makes the point that it's hard to put them into the same category of "jumping bean" more obvious, IMO ;)

(I really don't mean to dismiss Boyang, I like him and hope he'll do well in Seniors. I just don't think that comparison works)