2015 Worlds Ladies Free Skate March 28 | Page 122 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Ladies Free Skate March 28

whatif

Medalist
Hehe so much sabre rattling, very Russian. Like Adelina's boasting wanting to win all the gold in the world. May be they announce it so early to deter certain veteran's return...Tsk tsk tsk.. lets hope they do the walk and not just talk the talk.

When did she ever rattle?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
When did she ever rattle?

I didn't say Liza, but this article clearly is a form of 'sabre rattling.' Timing of this article, content, motive, intention, consequence etc... it is a Russian trait to 'sabre rattle' to boast self confidence and deter threat.

#LETthepunditPundit ;)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I'm well aware of the technical rules of skating so need no to rebuttal this post with all that Jazz . I wish Rika would have placed higher given the overall performances of both programs. I would have had her and Satoka in 3rd and 4th in any order. To me the effectiveness of the programs far outweigh any technical fouls at play in this particular competition.

#LETthejudgesJUDGES
her proress is astounding!
& with Carmen no less!:biggrin: she was really impressive today@!

lavender

Record Breaker
Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
IMO Satoko deserves more credit. Aside from the tiny jumps, she has all things the CoP ask from the skater. The speed, good coreography, interpretation to her program, good posture, killer spins, and pretty refine in her skating for her age. She needs more explosive jumps to be a world champion, but tonight it was good enough and with little luck to be a silver medalist.

I totally agree! Satoko is so under appreciated on this board!

ita...

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
the wording is not 100% affirmative
"we plan to go in this direction (3 3As) But we'll be observing & evaluating it as it goes"
So they will try & see if she manages.

Also Mishin says that she will use the same strategy as competing many times as she did this year (WC is her 13th comp)

andromache

Record Breaker
Also Mishin says that she will use the same strategy as competing many times as she did this year (WC is her 13th comp)

That seems so draining, but we can't say it isn't working for her. Frankly, I wish the American ladies would compete as often; it might help with those nerves.

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
That seems so draining, but we can't say it isn't working for her. Frankly, I wish the American ladies would compete as often; it might help with those nerves.
I doubt she literally will repeat the # of comps
Maybe around 7 will be enough

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was in reply to Karlowen's comment:

Tara won in 1998 over Michelle. Tara, queen of tiny jumps.

The key is to using what you have and using it well in respect to programs and artistry. Satoko does a good job artistically but yes, like Tara those jumps are puny. And it should be reflected in the scores. I remember and I think it was mentioned in one of the earlier posts a canadian skater Jennifer Robinson who did sometimes six or seven triples but they were so slow, small and sometimes two footed Many felt the year she upset Josee chouinard who skated badly at nationals that they should have knocked her down to second for poor quality jumps - quality over quantity. I do think not that it is an excuse Elena would have had more energy and power if she weren't sick but still not a horrible skate as the other girls had problems. Nice battle occurring between russia, japan and usa. Too bad about Anna - I think she should have stayed home and they should have sent the sub she didn't look very strong or confident in the long at all.AT least Gold and Wagner ended on an upbeat and the scores were very modest here

peg

Medalist
Lena and Liza are hilarious - love it! Hope Liza doesn't catch Lena's illness though, they are looking too cozy.

That was my first thought too, but then I realized the season is basically over, so if she feels under the weather for a few days, it's not that much of a problem. She already won Worlds :)

peg

Medalist

Earlier in the season Mishin said they were doing so many competitions because the training circumstances are better at comps. Of course, circumstances may become better in St Petersburg now

Art&Sport

Medalist
Wow, really? Actually, neither Satoko, Radionova, or Tukt skated better than either Gracie, Ashley or Polina in the free program. Satoko had one major error. Radionova had a series of errors and poor form, and Tukt had several minor mistakes. Obviously, Tukt knew she had the cushion from the sp, and decided to play it safe. All of the final skaters were nervous about the fact that all 3 U.S. ladies had skated very well and Gracie and Ashley had been given fairly high scores, although they both deserved a bit higher on both TES and PCS. The U.S. ladies' scores were clearly held down a bit and most will say because they skated early, but it's also due to politics and perception. Ashley did have a couple of minor miscues (slight double-footed landing on one combo), but clearly Ashley deserved much higher PCS than she received, and Satoko, Radionova and Tukt received higher PCS than they deserved, especially Tukt. My goodness, just because Tukt is landing a 3-axel and she's Russian that means she deserves high PCS out the wazoo.

I love Satoko, but she is not at a point where she deserved a silver medal at Worlds. Both Gracie and Ashley are right now overall better skaters. Satoko has tremendous potential, but she needs to refine her technique and work more on getting better height on her jumps. She's a lightning fast rotator, but I question how high her overall score was. If anything, Satoko's score should have been no higher than 189, and Radionova's score for the free skate is just an example of how some skaters can mess up and not be heavily penalized, while others have to continually prove themselves and if they make the slightest mistake their scores drop. And, in the case of Gracie and Ashley, when they skate exceptionally well, their scores are still held down. It's at bottom about politics, and the fact that the U.S. Fed has historically not known how to politically support their skaters. In the current environment, U.S. Fed has little to no clout politically, especially with the fact that skating money and popularity is overseas and television contracts in the U.S. are meaningless.

Another thing: Polina, for whatever reasons was jobbed in the sp. And then with her teammates skating very well in the fp, and Polina skating almost equally as well, the decision was to keep Polina's scores down and examine her with a fine tooth comb. Why didn't they examine Satoko with a fine tooth comb? While Satoko has the potential to become a great skater, neither she, nor Tukt, nor Radionova are so great that they are better than the U.S. ladies. They simply are not. At this point, I'm tired of fans' constant criticisms of U.S. skaters too. U.S. skaters should be unconditionally supported and encouraged. BTW, Polina won 4CC over Satoko and the other Japanese ladies, so now why wasn't she given more cred at Worlds? Polina should have placed higher in both sp and fp. She skated better than Hongo and Kanako who are placed in front of her. Skating very well and coming in as the 4CCs champ, Polina was kept in 7th in both sp and fp and still overall dropped a spot to 8th!? No way. If all the ladies who came after the U.S. ladies had skated their best without significant mistakes, okay, But that's not what happened.

I give my congratulations and great props to the U.S. Ladies for going out there and showing what they are made of!!! Now consistently show just how good you are and make the asinine politics of figure skating work for you!

Iscariot

On the Ice
Simple fact: If the US Ladies had just skated the SP the way they did in the long in THIS competition, like Satoko did in THIS competition, then the story would've been different. The top 3 did enough in both segments, that's something the others should work on.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I'd love to see improved choreography from Liza next season. Who does her choreography now? Someone who is a package deal with Mishin? I think Shae-Lynn Bourne could do wonders for her.

ITA. But clearly since the sport is out of whack with jumps jumps jumps meaning so much more than artistry, it's obvious that skaters without artistry feel they don't have to work on their presentation skills. Tukt definitely needs better choreo and packaging. It remains to be seen whether that will happen, since just being Russian and having a 3-axel and jumping ability means Tukt's PCS scores have risen out the wazoo. That alone gives her the confidence and chutzpah to feel she doesn't need to improve artistically.

What I'm hoping for is that the U.S. ladies continue to bring it technically, increase their confidence and belief in themselves and simply show the rest of the World what it really means to be a complete skater. Gracie needs to realize that she's the one who can be on the top of the podium. If Tukt can come back from being completely out of it, Gracie should set her mind to demonstrating some shock and awe next season. Being a complete skater is definitely not what we've seen from the Russians all season long. Satoko is a wonderful skater, a real gem, but silver medal at Worlds at this point (politics is definitely a factor)? Some skaters apparently have to continue paying their dues and proving themselves endlessly, while others can vault to the top. That's why I say this should be more than a wake-up call for the U.S. ladies to bring it consistently and believe in themselves (Polina does already of course) and lay it down every time they go out on the ice, since the politics is not behind them.

Simple fact: If the US Ladies had just skated the SP the way they did in the long in THIS competition, like Satoko did in THIS competition, then the story would've been different. The top 3 did enough in both segments, that's something the others should work on.

Quite true and I don't argue that point. In fact, I stress that point as well in both of my posts. Gracie and Ashley in particular need to believe in themselves more and show it consistently because the politics IS NOT behind them. Others can mess up a bit, but U.S. ladies have to bring it and bring it until they can't be denied. Same goes for U.S. men and for pairs. I'm not saying the U.S. skaters don't have things to work on and that their need for consistency and belief and skating well are not factors in the scoring. But still, all things being equal (which they never are), the politics, rep, and perception are huge factors. As well, the political clout of one's fed is a factor in the scoring too. All the blather about the Russian ladies all season long was so OTT. Just because they are Russian and are known to have triple/ triples, plus there was a carry-over effect from the Sochi Olympics. Judges have been over-rewarding the Russian ladies on PCS since early last year in the build-up to the Olympics. Meanwhile, the U.S. ladies, and some other up-and-coming ladies have not been getting the same respect that they too deserve as having equal and in some areas better skills than the Russians. At least Satoko got into the mix at Worlds, not that she skated so out of sight that she deserved silver though.

Also, Polina clearly skated well in both sp and fp and deserved higher placements in both segments. Plus she's the 4CC champ coming in, and that was overlooked. It was as if Satoko had come into Worlds as the 4CC champ.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow, really? Actually, neither Satoko, Radionova, or Tukt skated better than either Gracie, Ashley or Polina in the free program. Satoko had one major error. Radionova had a series of errors and poor form, and Tukt had several minor mistakes. Obviously, Tukt knew she had the cushion from the sp, and decided to play it safe. All of the final skaters were nervous about the fact that all 3 U.S. ladies had skated very well and Gracie and Ashley had been given fairly high scores, although they both deserved a bit higher on both TES and PCS. The U.S. ladies' scores were clearly held down a bit and most will say because they skated early, but it's also due to politics and perception. Ashley did have a couple of minor miscues (slight double-footed landing on one combo), but clearly Ashley deserved much higher PCS than she received, and Satoko, Radionova and Tukt received higher PCS than they deserved, especially Tukt. My goodness, just because Tukt is landing a 3-axel and she's Russian that means she deserves high PCS out the wazoo.

I love Satoko, but she is not at a point where she deserved a silver medal at Worlds. Both Gracie and Ashley are right now overall better skaters. Satoko has tremendous potential, but she needs to refine her technique and work more on getting better height on her jumps. She's a lightning fast rotator, but I question how high her overall score was. If anything, Satoko's score should have been no higher than 189, and Radionova's score for the free skate is just an example of how some skaters can mess up and not be heavily penalized, while others have to continually prove themselves and if they make the slightest mistake their scores drop. And, in the case of Gracie and Ashley, when they skate exceptionally well, their scores are still held down. It's at bottom about politics, and the fact that the U.S. Fed has historically not known how to politically support their skaters. In the current environment, U.S. Fed has little to no clout politically, especially with the fact that skating money and popularity is overseas and television contracts in the U.S. are meaningless.

Another thing: Polina, for whatever reasons was jobbed in the sp. And then with her teammates skating very well in the fp, and Polina skating almost equally as well, the decision was to keep Polina's scores down and examine her with a fine tooth comb. Why didn't they examine Satoko with a fine tooth comb? While Satoko has the potential to become a great skater, neither she, nor Tukt, nor Radionova are so great that they are better than the U.S. ladies. They simply are not. At this point, I'm tired of fans' constant criticisms of U.S. skaters too. U.S. skaters should be unconditionally supported and encouraged. BTW, Polina won 4CC over Satoko and the other Japanese ladies, so now why wasn't she given more cred at Worlds? Polina should have placed higher in both sp and fp. She skated better than Hongo and Kanako who are placed in front of her. Skating very well and coming in as the 4CCs champ, Polina was kept in 7th in both sp and fp and still overall dropped a spot to 8th!? No way. If all the ladies who came after the U.S. ladies had skated their best without significant mistakes, okay, But that's not what happened.

I give my congratulations and great props to the U.S. Ladies for going out there and showing what they are made of!!! Now consistently show just how good you are and make the asinine politics of figure skating work for you!

Nice to hear the unbiased truth. The judging was disgustingly political.

Krislite

Medalist

I don't know. Maybe her mistakes in the LP at Worlds were the result of some exhaustion? Before this she's been throwing down so many clean LP's. Or maybe she was just nervous, knowing the World title was within her grasp.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Wow, really? Actually, neither Satoko, Radionova, or Tukt skated better than either Gracie, Ashley or Polina in the free program. Satoko had one major error. [...] If anything, Satoko's score should have been no higher than 189, and Radionova's score for the free skate is just an example of how some skaters can mess up and not be heavily penalized, while others have to continually prove themselves and if they make the slightest mistake their scores drop. And, in the case of Gracie and Ashley, when they skate exceptionally well, their scores are still held down. It's at bottom about politics, and the fact that the U.S. Fed has historically not known how to politically support their skaters. In the current environment, U.S. Fed has little to no clout politically, especially with the fact that skating money and popularity is overseas and television contracts in the U.S. are meaningless.

What I'm hoping for is that the U.S. ladies continue to bring it technically, increase their confidence and belief in themselves and simply show the rest of the World what it really means to be a complete skater. Gracie needs to realize that she's the one who can be on the top of the podium.
Being a complete skater is definitely not what we've seen from the Russians all season long. Satoko is a wonderful skater, a real gem, but silver medal at Worlds at this point (politics is definitely a factor)? Some skaters apparently have to continue paying their dues and proving themselves endlessly, while others can vault to the top.

Oh yeah, it was politics that caused Gracie (whose mistake(s) were just as obvious as Satoko's "major error") and Ashley to make mistakes in the SP, right? ;)

Clearly, to some, the short program is an event that should be ignored at all costs and should not be factored into the total score.

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I don't know. Maybe her mistakes in the LP at Worlds were the result of some exhaustion? Before this she's been throwing down so many clean LP's. Or maybe she was just nervous, knowing the World title was within her grasp.

I think this was the reason. I mean, she knew she could rely on her SP lead, but in the same time she was conscious of the high stakes.
The "take no prisoners" approach of the SP worked better for her, but, all in all, she handled things very well.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh yeah, it was politics that caused Gracie (whose mistake(s) were just as obvious as Satoko's "major error") and Ashley to make mistakes in the SP, right? ;)

Clearly, to some, the short program is an event that should be ignored at all costs and should not be factored into the total score.

You can decide not to understand what I'm saying. Yes, I'm emotional about it at the same time that I am looking at the sport without rose-colored glasses. I truly expected after Ashley and Gracie and Polina skated that they might end up in maybe 5th, 6th and 7th. But quite clearly, none of the skaters who skated after them actually skated lights out better. The fact is the U.S. ladies are all better skaters overall than a number of the ladies who were in front of them in the sp, and the politics is that Polina's scores were held down in both segments. Re Ashley and Gracie, sure they both should and could have been on the podium had they not messed up in the sp, but the fact remains that the top three were given higher PCS than deserved, and also Satoko's tech score was a bit higher than she performed. As well, Radionova truly messed up and was given too high PCS as usual. Polina did not skate poorly in the sp.