2016-17 Japanese National Ladies FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Japanese National Ladies FS

Lys

Match Penalty
Third in PCS? (Where do I see the protocols?). But if that's the case, I'll agree with you :laugh:

I was going by Jackie Wong updates (so if she is not third, sorry! :p), but according to his feed: 1) Satoko (70 and something), 2) Mao (65), 3) Kanako (64)

lishazard

Rinkside
Wow I'm so happy for Yuna S, her new FS is such a good vehicle and good luck charm for her. It mustn't be fun being in Marin Honda's shadows (with her coach mentioning Marin's natural talent frequently).

It's great that Marin finally put together a good SP and decent LP at Nationals. It's going to be so interesting to see how she stacks up against Alina and (fingers crossed) Polina at JWC this year.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I am glad Mai will be sent to WC. She is a breath of fresh air.

She's interesting ...in a very quiet way.
Her SP borders on boring for me (but the last jump is very exciting). Her LP is light and airy with good musical footwork and interesting turns and seems to be in line with her performing style. I'm happy that she got this program rather than say, a tango or, god forbid, a 'sexy' program. A program that fits and that is skated cleanly is a rare thing indeed. I've watched her FS over again enough times to begin to critique a bit, the long spiral is not her strong point. Can she do a IB or something else instead?
Go Mai.
My whole family thinks she is so cute!

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Her SP borders on boring for me. But her LP is light and airy with good musical footwork and interesting turns and seems to be in line with her performing style. I'm happy that she got this program rather than say, a tango or, god forbid, a 'sexy' program. A program that fits and that is skated cleanly is a rare thing indeed. I've watched her FS over again enough times to begin to critique a bit, the long spiral is not her strong point. Can she do a IB or something else instead?
Go Mai.
That 3F at the end of her SP is very daring.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I want Wakaba to show 2 clean programs and watch the scores go through the roof. You can see the International Judges want to give her points. She has momentum now. She needs to grasp her chance and really impress them.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I want Wakaba to show 2 clean programs and watch the scores go through the roof. You can see the International Judges want to give her points. She has momentum now. She needs to grasp her chance and really impress them.
1) she should change 3F into 3Lo in her SP
2) she should have better package. I have to say her LP is... :scratch:

mcq

Record Breaker
Her SP borders on boring for me (but the last jump is very exciting). Her LP is light and airy with good musical footwork and interesting turns and seems to be in line with her performing style. I'm happy that she got this program rather than say, a tango or, god forbid, a 'sexy' program. A program that fits and that is skated cleanly is a rare thing indeed. I've watched her FS over again enough times to begin to critique a bit, the long spiral is not her strong point. Can she do a IB or something else instead?
Go Mai.

I think it is just her programs. It is still a bit juniorish and princess-y to me but her technical is good, if she were given better programs I am pretty sure the impression will be different. If you look at wakaba, I think she is very successful in transforming herself from junior to senior skaters with her programs. Mai just need these kind of programs and all the PCS will come her way. Maybe a more daring makeup will help the impression too :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
1) she should change 3F into 3Lo in her SP
2) she should have better package. I have to say her LP is... :scratch:
Most Byzantine/Middle Eastern /Scheherazade programs look the same to me these days. Arms waving, etc. Wakaba's is not bad, but it could be something better for her. It's tough to come up with a good, skate-able music every season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think it is just her programs. It is still a bit juniorish and princess-y to me but her technical is good, if she were given better programs I am pretty sure the impression will be different. If you look at wakaba, I think she is very successful in transforming herself from junior to senior skaters with her programs. Mai just need these kind of programs and all the PCS will come her way. Maybe a more daring makeup will help the impression too :)

There's always an awkward turning point where a skater tries to be more mature in their programs. I can't imagine Mai as anything other than a princess (in the best kind of way) what other genres would be good for her to try?

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty

I think her programs and music are appropriated for her age and style. You can't expect her to be like Pogorilaya or Wakaba :confused2:
And i still don't get what people mean with "juniorish" and "princessy". She is a delicate girl, what's wrong with that? :scratch2:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
There's always an awkward turning point where a skater tries to be more mature in their programs. I can't imagine Mai as anything other than a princess (in the best kind of way) what other genres would be good for her to try?

i want one of my favourite skaters to skate to Alice in Wonderland, last year one of the junior ice dance team skated to it and i loved it :luv17: appropriate for their age (since most of them are still young and tiny :biggrin:) i think it could be magial if its done right and skated clean , it would leave great impression

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker

Something lyrical or contemporary maybe? I would not have thought Satoko fit flamenco before I saw firedance. I think this kind of program is a safe choice for Mai for now. but at the same time a bit generic for the judges to reward her higher PCS than what she received now.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So Rika Kihira as the seventh lady to land 3A stays at home. That says a lot about the depth in Japanese team.
Rika has knee injury and couldn't even place on podium at Junior National. She isn't at Senior National.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Wow isn't Yuna the comeback princess? She always stuns you with a magnificent FS after a disappointing SP. Even though I quite like her Notre Dame FS earlier this season (the Esmeralda-ish costume!), this new version of Clowns works very well on her too! I very look forward to jer in JW!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

andromache

Record Breaker
If Mao isn't in better shape/condition/health next season she shouldn't compete. It can't be fun.

Satoko/Wakaba/Mai is a strong team. Not as strong as the Russians, but not too far behind. Wakaba isn't consistent, but Mai can usually be counted on to deliver a decent skate. Satoko plus one of them will be more than capable of keeping three spots.

I love Rika and I am very sad for her, but Mai and Wakaba have both been far better than her this season. Both have a little less on-ice personality than Rika, but her lack of refinement is starting to grate on me. She hasn't improved in that department since the beginning of last season. This year the fierce and gritty bad-posture divas (Elena and Rika) stay at home.