2016-17 Japanese Nationals Men SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Japanese Nationals Men SP

sweetwater

On the Ice
I’m a Yuzu fan and watched Japanese Nationals, but being a fan of a Japanese skater and being a team-Japan fan is two different things. In Japan there are many Plushenko fans but not all of them would have watched this year’s Russian nationals live. Of course you can find people who love both Yuzu and Plushenko checking the result of RN in the venue of JN, but not everyone can be like that or have to be like that.:laugh:

About Men’s SP, I'm so happy for Ryuju. My heart hopped when he smiled at the judges during the program. I’ve always wanted to see him skating like this, enjoying and trusting himself. I saw him live at NHK and his SP there was also great, but this time it was even better.
I felt almost the same about Keiji too. Technically NHK was better but he looked so confident and was trying to leave everything on the ice. I hope they will keep this momentum and achieve their goal for this competition.
I also loved Takahito’s SP. The jumps were very clean and the Stsq was beautiful. No matter how the placements will be, repeating this sort of performance in FS will be a triumph for him, and I really want to witness such triumph.
Seeing Hiroaki Sato’s name in the final group of FS is really exciting. He was portraying the strange creature the choreographer wished him to play so charmingly, and I could feel his joy through his performance. Can’t wait to see his Barber of Seville FS for the first time!
I’m wondering whether Shoma’s entrance of 4T in SP is his problem or not.
And I wish all the junior boys good luck on FS.

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
After Yuzuru there is only Shoma and Mura who are able to bring in these scores.

That's what's most noticeable to me—how lacking in depth the field is compared to a couple years ago. Now I'm wishing for some comebacks.

beki

Medalist
If there is anything, I feel funny about Mr. Uno's field of crossovers and pre-rotation issue. How long judges are going to reward such technique I am unsure. I love that judges give a short program with 24 crossovers over 44 PCS so consistently.

His performance ability makes him a joy to watch, but I agree his flaws are being overlooked by the judges right now.

tzazu

Medalist
This thread is so lonely. Seems like the Yuzuru fans really only like Yuzuru. TV coverage is focusing on Shoma it seems, I hope he can handle the pressure.
On duty three days in a row, so no JN (or Russian Nats) for me this year, only can read the forum and watch the performances now, so comment a lot all the fortunates that can enjoy them live and direct :2thumbs:

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
hmm... can't really blame some fans if they watch FS only if Yuzuru is there. Yuzuru is probably the most popular FS of Japan who is able to draw in fans (like myself into watching FS). That said, not all fans are like that. Some have just their own things to do so like that ---- I have barely caught up with the event so I just chose a few to watch.

Shoma... well, he didn't do as bad as I thought. Nice expression but his skating is still not my cup of tea. Overall however, I think he still did okay. Let's see if the FS turns the tide.

Mura... Oh my!!! He did really well and I'm happy for him. Slim chance of winning now and I hope he can pull off his FS. :)

Ryuju... no quad? but loved his reaction at the end. Overall, I enjoyed this program.

Keiji... it seems he's connected to his music better here and overall a nice performance.

MIM

Medalist
http://www.jsfresults.com/non_respo...tm,National/2016-2017/fs_e/national/index.htm

Results in English, if anyone was looking for them. Great skates for Mura and Tanaka, it seems! :)

Thank you!
I was only able to read the first character of the first placed skater. It sounded Mu...I was thinking Mura? Really?? Now I see the results in English, which confirms his lead in the sp, I am so happy for him. His Sp is truly a jewel and glad he skated his best. @GOI should be very proud and happy;) I hope Mura skates a clean and beautiful fp, too.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wait a sec they are actually holding the event? I thought after Hanyu's withdrawal they'd just give Shoma the trophy and send the guys home for the holidays.. :scratch2:

I'm convinced they are only holding it to spit us Yuzu fans. There is absolutely no other reason, they are really trying to act as if competitions without Yuzu are possible, it's unbelievable. Of course no Yuzu fan was here to watch it, who could have forseen this blasphemie? :sarcasm:

itiahs

Rinkside
Re: the earlier comment about Russian ladies at Nationals, I don't think that's really fair to compare against the Japanese men tbh? I've noticed that in general there are more people commenting on ladies events period.
Anyways, catching up on TJ men now. I'm actually really excited because this is the only time of the year where we can see Hiroaki Sato compete :laugh:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
That's what's most noticeable to me—how lacking in depth the field is compared to a couple years ago. Now I'm wishing for some comebacks.

What does everyone think? I see plenty of potential (e.g., Koshiro), and of course Sota is missing. I guess with the men there's much more pressure to make it before they get through university, which makes it harder for the late bloomers like Tatsuki Machida, who took the "sensible" option of graduate school over extending his skating career. I think Yuzu and Shoma are inspiring a new generation of male skaters, which is great, but for the ones who have to compete with them (e.g., Ryuju), it makes their job much harder. There is a lot of talk in the Japanese media about "the third man" who will (most likely) accompany Yuzu and Shoma to worlds. Will it be Takahito Mura or Keiji Tanaka? Mura didn't have a great GP season; Keiji did well at NHK, but he didn't have a second GP. What would the Japanese Fed do if they both podium?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Keiji did well at NHK, but he didn't have a second GP.

Keiji did have a second GP, Rostelecom, 7th overall because he really messed up his SP there, was 10th and a 5th place in the FS pulled him up a bit.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gprus2016/CAT001RS.HTM
Their scores overall are interesting

Keiji CoR 224.91 & NHK 248.44
Mura SC 222.13 & TDF 248.42

So I think it'll be good to see how the FS goes first. It'll be a tough call.
I am not even remotely objective here because I am biased for Keiji and think it'd be good for him, he's younger and is having an obvious upwards, positive momentum but honestly, I'd just say the one higher on the podium goes as their GPF season, in terms of actual scores is close and that's that, whoever it is. In either case, I hope that the other guy gets to go to AWG if possible, to get some more skating time and at home too.

As for competing with the likes of Hanyu and Shoma, I think it's good, even if it is not easy. One thing is clear, you do not have a single quad? You are not truly competitive internationally. Even one is not really enough these days. So I think it's good to see the reality even if it may not be a rosy one.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Re: the earlier comment about Russian ladies at Nationals, I don't think that's really fair to compare against the Japanese men tbh? I've noticed that in general there are more people commenting on ladies events period.
Anyways, catching up on TJ men now. I'm actually really excited because this is the only time of the year where we can see Hiroaki Sato compete :laugh:

Yes! You can't imagine the smile on my face when I saw him skate out there with his insane (totally team Japan) Peacock costume. And he landed all his stuff including his 3A. When Akio-senshu retired I thought we'd run out of the crazy skaters. But Hiroaki has saved Nationals again. I want him to get more fans.

itiahs

Rinkside
Yes! You can't imagine the smile on my face when I saw him skate out there with his insane (totally team Japan) Peacock costume. And he landed all his stuff including his 3A. When Akio-senshu retired I thought we'd run out of the crazy skaters. But Hiroaki has saved Nationals again. I want him to get more fans.

That costume was everything I could've wished for :biggrin: I need to see it HD.
And tears for Mura and Keiji, they did so well! I would not be able to pick between them for third :cry:
(Isn't it funny how we tend to mix last names of some guys with first names of others? I guess I will alway mix up Takahito and Takahiko so that's why Mura.)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Yes, Hiroaki was brilliant! Now if he only had a couple of quads....just imagine!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
26. Taichi Honda

Let's go Big Brother!! Sara (youngest sister) is watching!

3F
3T+3T
FCSp
CSSp
2A
StSq
CoSp

Great job, bro!!!

Also, this guy. He was going for humorous right? My whole family was watching the broadcast and we were on the floor (ok, we were sitting on the floor) rolling around with laughter. I mean, velvet pants, vest with fringe, and really odd cowboy-ish movements. I didn't know what was going on till Cotton-eyed-Joe started playing and it all made a strange sort of sense. Great come-back from injury.
-

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes! You can't imagine the smile on my face when I saw him skate out there with his insane (totally team Japan) Peacock costume.

Oh no. For as much as I've made fun of Mura's 2015 FS costume, dare I admit that I liked the peacock costume?! :scard7:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What does everyone think? I see plenty of potential (e.g., Koshiro), and of course Sota is missing. I guess with the men there's much more pressure to make it before they get through university, which makes it harder for the late bloomers like Tatsuki Machida, who took the "sensible" option of graduate school over extending his skating career. I think Yuzu and Shoma are inspiring a new generation of male skaters, which is great, but for the ones who have to compete with them (e.g., Ryuju), it makes their job much harder. There is a lot of talk in the Japanese media about "the third man" who will (most likely) accompany Yuzu and Shoma to worlds. Will it be Takahito Mura or Keiji Tanaka? Mura didn't have a great GP season; Keiji did well at NHK, but he didn't have a second GP. What would the Japanese Fed do if they both podium?

I think the up-and-coming Junior skaters like Sena Miyake and Koshiro Shimada are getting hit hard this season with growth spurts. It looks to me like they've lost their finer muscle control and are all arms and legs, whereas last season they looked more polished and had their jumps under control. Next season they may pull out of it and get their jumps back.