2016 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Free Dance

Rossig

On the Ice
How divine to have, IMHO, the best ice dancers ever - V/M and P/C - in the same competition. Equally my favourites so I'm happy if either win.

You must be very young.

elif

Medalist
I'm waiting for Weaver/Poje as well. If they don't bring something good, I don't plan to watch dance this year. I don't see any special, memorable programs this year and last year too. Every year there was criticism about boring stuff, but this year really extraordinary. Even underdog teams skates same way.

auser

Record Breaker
I was underwhelmed by all of the Free Dances here. Actually no team this entire season has really impressed me much in the FD. Weaver/Poje, please save us, you're our only hope...

:agree: please delete this post I meant to respond another post

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
I was underwhelmed by all of the Free Dances here. Actually no team this entire season has really impressed me much in the FD. Weaver/Poje, please save us, you're our only hope...

Why should that make it hard? This mentality has caused judging problems for so long, bah.

:agree:

juliajk

Rinkside
Desperately waiting for WP to save my season in Ice dance, because everybody else are not worth watching. Its my first season ever when there is literally not a single FD that I like. Really like their SD music selection, hopefully the FD music choice would be good too.

Lota

Record Breaker
To those saying that the Shibs were never underscored, either you have short memories or you didn't watch them prior to the 2014 Olympics. After their 2011 medal something just changed and they would always score less than expected. I can't recall them in the 2011-12 season, but I remember clearly in 2012-13 season they got underscored. It was especially apparent at Worlds, their Memoirs of a Geisha FD was really quite good and they barely got 90 points. Even the commentators kinda alluded to the fact that it seemed that they had fallen out of the judges' favour. And then from the Olympics onwards things changed again for reasons unknown. On this forum people always had different opinions about them, although the consensus now is very positive. I'm not their biggest fan, but I like some of their programs and I could see how their "relationship" with the judges changed througout various stages in their career.

Now with C/B it's sad because they never got underscored and thus had noone pitying them (and I do think that the Shibs being out of favour with the judges helped in the fandom department a little), but lots of people angry at them from the get-go. Which is a shame, because I think they bring lots of innovation to the sport, especially in the lifts. What's strange is that a lot of people seem to really hate them as opposed to C/B just not being their favourites. Maybe it is because they were strong from the start, dunno. I'd like it to be a phase, but I think that's how it'll stay till the end probably.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Well to quote Tessa, "Those damn twizzles..."

One of the great moments of that awful show. So many quotable interactions.

If there's anything I learned from watching that show it's that Tessa and Scott are soul mates.

Post-Pyeongchang they'll realize they're meant to be together all the time and the whole figure skating world will sigh in relief that it finally happened when they announce the pregnancy of Tessa.

lyndichee

Medalist
I don't understand why everyone is so doom and gloom about V/M after one iffy skate. Everyone has bad days. Everyone has bad skates. It was their first competition back and they won, posting respectable scores. Chill?

People on this forum love being right. I think that's why we are so detailed in how we think scores should be. Everybody wants be that person after Worlds/Olympics saying "I told you so!" (myself included). Though I do think this forum sometimes needs more chill.

rain

Record Breaker
I don't understand why everyone is so doom and gloom about V/M after one iffy skate. Everyone has bad days. Everyone has bad skates. It was their first competition back and they won, posting respectable scores. Chill?

I don't even think this was a bad skate. It's actually pretty hilarious.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as I'm currently on my holiday in my hometown with very limited access to Internet, I've had only a chance to see top 3 of SD and FD so far and read some few pages of forum's thread. I really don't want to to over judging, overscoring/underscoring, results plotting or comparing scores to Skate America or previous events, to be honest - I'm tired of this and the fact that I'm feeling a lot of disappointment about the season so far in Ice Dance is not helping either...I feel that a very few teams stands out and a lot of teams are repetitive to the limits and beyond. I really don't wonder why a lot of you are mentioning Weaver/Poje being the last hope, I hope for them big time too. But as I'm fairly confident about their SD looking at their music, I am extremely nervous for their FD, especially about choreography ad Krylova tends to be a lot of 'throwback to 80' regarding choreos...We'll see how it will be.

Tessa and Scott - whereas their SD is a winner in every sense of it (from combination of music, theme, choreography, cohesion and connection), their FD is a bit underwhelming for me. Maybe it's the fact that they were not so perfect and sharp, but it's quite understandable as this was their first major appearance so my guess is that the FD will get better, however not sure if it will grow on me. I wish they would choose something more bold, vibrant as their FD, because they are in the rarity of teams who actually can pull energetic stuff off as FD. This FD is good, but my feel is that the vehicle itself (as choreography and music) would not defend itself without their performance abilities and charisma which was the case yesterday. The are really one of the best Ice Dancers in terms of performing and projecting, their connection - especially between themselves - makes me believe in picture they create. There are some great moments there (e.g. first lift, second step sequence), but there are also a lot of empty 'fillers' which make the program less exciting. My view is they have to work really hard on technical side right now and at the same time give more 'oomph' somehow to the perfomance overall. It will be crucial as Papadakis/Cizeron and Shibutanis have similar vibe of their FD - the differences will be visible with watching them back-to-back and I'm afraid that this FD not performed sharply thechnically and skated lights out with drama won't be a winner. I don't want to make some bold predictions yet, but after watching Shibutanis last week I feel like their FD will defend itself by their pristine, pure technique which make the whole perfomance, waiting for Papadakis/Cizeron to see their FD with proper camera work and sound.

Madison and Evan - as you know I am not a fan, but I CAN actually appreciate them taking some risks and their technical sharpness which was perfectly displayed yesterday, and moreover - this is a kind of FD which requires that kind of technical top-notch perfection to pull it off I feel. I have 2 issues which throw me off the most about this FD - first is too 'gimmicky' fell of it and second one is Evan's blandness on a verge of personality non-existence. My 'theory' is that after trying past few seasons to balance their programs to show off them both, this year they went for approach 'let's make Madison's flexibility and performance flare to lead this season'. Seriously - both SD and FD are made to make her a star, she's obviously more comfortable with choreos, with music and concepts and she actually goes for the performance each time while Evan is her shadow, very cautious and too 'elegant' for my taste, especially when seeing him beside the way she presents programs. Wish there was more balance about that and the choreography was more fluid and continous than mechanical and tech-measured.

and finally Piper and Paul - WOW, just WOW...Definitely the best performance of the day, they blew me away both technically and presentation-wise. If I remember myself how weak and unpolished Piper was at the beginning of this partnership I'm amazed by them today even more. I was so negative about them being together - she was way weaker technically than him and not the best performer, now she not only in par with Paul, but they created a really intricate realtionship and chemistry between them. Adding stand-out, 'out-there' approach towards programs, music choices and choreography, mixing it it with technical sharpness and boldness in perfroming they are now a real thread to any team from the top. And that make me glee with joy as this is finally recognized and rightly awarded with judges. They really go non-traditionally with their SD and this should be a disaster, but it's not and their FDs have always something unique which cannot guarantee them posotive response which majkes me admire them even more each season. This FD is actually everything I would dream of to see in tango program - that non-descript intimacy and connection between them displayed by looks, movement, little touches, head moves and that is the essence of Argentine Tango for me - to present all passion, all desire by the movement of two bodies dancing, not by bold costumes, bared body or groping moves. There's a feel of sophisticated sensuality in that dance, but there's also the tension which keeps me on the edge of my seat whole 4 mins. There is no loud expression presented, but I felt a lot of emotions and the execution was the best I've seen them ever regarding FD. Looking at choreography, there are my favourite lifts and transitions, heck - the whole FD is my favourite program of the season so far. Everything feels natural, organic and fluid, not loosing that sharpness in execution. About the program and costumes - if anyone complains about them not being suitable for tango program, go to Stepanova/Bukin or Sinitsina/Katsalapov for litteral 'red dress and kisses' tangos, your choice. Whereas everyone try to be as loud as possible in expression, their silent intimacy spiced with impeccable technique, originality, innovation in choreography and loads of not faked chemistry is my choice for the whole season.

noidont

Final Flight
Gilles/Poirier is a screen-friendly team. I really like them but Chock/Bates is more impressive live. I wouldn't have become a fan if I didn't watch them live their first season together at a GP event and thought they were rough but faster than Shibs, W/P and B/S.

whatif

Medalist
It is amusing to see that the countries that whine the most about corrupt judging are also the ones whose judges are most blatantly partisan.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've just watched FD in Polish TV with Halina Gordon-Półtorak as commentator (but they showed only top 7). Which was very interesting.

Some commentes from her on top5 (there wasn't much on F-B/S and H/B):
1. She pointed out 5 or 6 mistakes in Stepanova/Bukin FD. She said they did better at Finlandia Trophy in her opinion since they skated more relaxed.
2. She said Charlie Chaplin is a prefect fit for Anna & Luca (so the music choce was good), but after first lift, that she said was very good and difficult, she mentiones that personally she's not a fan of recycled choreography. She also pointed out that Anna wasn't clean enough during both StSq.
3. She was fairly quiet during V/M skate apart of the obvious mistake in twizzles.
4. She didn't say anything during Piper and Paul skate. When she announced she told to just watch. And after the dance, she said it's the best tango performed on ice. She said they had some issues but it was very small.
5. She liked the character of the dance and Christopher Dean choreography very much. And she also thinks C/B had great chemistry and the second Stsq was almost perfect according to her. She has praised their edges.

Other comments from her: she thinks P/C are on different level for her. That there a lot teams that try to be like them, but it's not working for them and that team who wants to beat P/C need to show something new, in different character. After G/P skate, she said the results in Nebelhorn Trophy were very controversial, in both SD and FD and there was big discussions for both segments. (that was the answer to other commentattor who asked why G/P has not won in Nebelhorn) She's a big fan of G/P and their innovations and fight to do something original. There was even small (but really very small) suggestion that G/P could have won FD with V/M tonight. The dances that were chosen after Worlds (G/P march and Kaliszek/Spodirev foxtrot) will be introduced to Ice Dance after this Olympic quad :) Probably in juniors first as it can't be in seniors as long as the teams compete.

So now you know some opinions from Ice Dance Chair, but take a notice it was just a commentary, nothing official :) I need to watch the rest of the field first, to give my unproffesional, personal opinion.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think that the Shibs, as you call them, are very good skaters, their Coldplay performance was in my opinion their best work so far and they have incredible lines, greatly skating as one. I don´t see why someone can´t like them and Madi + Evan at the same time. ;)

Madi & Evan, but also Bobs and Sol are my favorites, as I like the creativity and unique approaches that those teams have, but I can also see a lot of skill among the other dance couples and as I said, in my opinion has Ice Dance never been better. For me, especially the SD programs have picked up in pace, they are much more alive now than years ago, where I honestly, often skipped the SD, as I felt it was just always the same and I could not really identify myself with anyone there. Today, this is so different and especially smaller nations have closed the gap and are now working with top choreographers and have better transitions on ice and in their music.

Ya, I am really happy with ice dance and its my personal number two now and who knows, maybe some day, it may kick the Ladies comp from the top ;)

catchie

On the Ice
One of the great moments of that awful show. So many quotable interactions.

If there's anything I learned from watching that show it's that Tessa and Scott are soul mates.

Post-Pyeongchang they'll realize they're meant to be together all the time and the whole figure skating world will sigh in relief that it finally happened when they announce the pregnancy of Tessa.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::thumbsup:

Matt K

On the Ice
The blatant partisanship of the judges is almost amusing. Check out PCS scoring of Canadian (1), US (3), and Italian (8) judges: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpcan2016/gpcan2016_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Canadian judge in particular hosed Chock/Bates. I'm not going to be bothered to do the math, but I do wonder if it affected the final outcome since it was within one point...

It is amusing to see that the countries that whine the most about corrupt judging are also the ones whose judges are most blatantly partisan.

Judge No. 7 (Russian judge) gave Canadian V/M the highest marks of any judge on the panel.
Judge No. 3 (USA judge) gave American C/B the highest marks of any judge on the panel (not just PCS, look at the extreme GOE inflation all +3s)
Judge No. 8 (Italian judge) gave Italian C/L the highest marks of any judge on the panel.

I trust judge no 9 Chihee Rhee of South Korea. She gave C/B 4th place. Look at her marks for Hawayek/Baker in the SD. Devastating. I guess it also helps that there is no Korea ice dance team and thus she is in no one's pocket.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Just an FYI to those wondering why the woman who opened/closed the 'gate' at the boards (referred to as 'security person') was getting so many hugs from happy skaters. It wasn't an expression of joy-to-random-strangers thing.

She is the mother of Canadian ice dancer ASHER HILL.

Asher, and his mother, are beloved and well known to North American ice dancers, especially of this generation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just an FYI to those wondering why the woman who opened/closed the 'gate' at the boards (referred to as 'security person') was getting so many hugs from happy skaters. It wasn't an expression of joy-to-random-strangers thing.

She is the mother of Canadian ice dancer ASHER HILL.

Asher, and his mother, are beloved and well known to North American ice dancers, especially of this generation.

:cool: Thx for identifying the person as Asher's mother.
Very sweet on multiple levels :ghug:.

... Post-Pyeongchang they'll realize they're meant to be together all the time ...

Don't get my hopes up ;). Not going to hold my breath, but I will admit that I would love Tessa and Scott eventually to end up together. I am impressed by the closeness of many platonic on-ice partnerships, but theirs always has struck me as extra-special :luv17:.